Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Hunter Laing

Default gymnastics and oly

Hey all. I'm starting up this log because I had a scare recently that I would lose my excel file where I log my workouts when my computer crashed. Luckily I was able to retrieve the data, but I'm still gunna log online too as a back up.

Goals right now are a 135# snatch, 185# clean, 10 sec adv tuck front lever, and a 10 sec tuck planche, and a strict, slow muscle up on rings.

I started with the olympic lifts on May 14, 2013, with my max lifts at a 95# power snatch(I was unable to get into an ohs to catch the full lift) and a 125# clean and jerk.

This friday I hit 125# on the snatch and 180# on the clean, and I'm working with 15 sec sets of tuck front levers and band assisted planches. I've been working these gymnastic progressions for 3 weeks so far, and I've been following the outlaw way to some degree for my oly lifting, a couple weeks behind, since the start of the hatch squat cycle. Before that I used the Catalyst Starter Program.

Sun 9-8-13

am - SASa1

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. wall assisted tuck half press HS - 5 x 3
A2. tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Press HSs felt good, focusing on getting as much of my low back off the wall at the bottom of the rep while still maintaining good control. The tuck front lever holds also felt strong. I have been focusing on keeping my scaps depressed during the movement by trying to make my neck as long as possible, and today working on this turned some of the sets into almost a flat tuck position, so my 10 sec adv tuck front lever shouldn't be far off.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - blue x 5 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 5 x 10

The band assisted tuck planches felt strong today, staying focused on strong protraction, and keeping the neck long to help with depression. My hips have been getting a little high in these so it might be time to use a lighter band. Knees to elbows were kinda shit today, as by the ends of the sets I was pulling too much with my arms and back and ending in almost a front lever position, which isn't my goal with this movement.

C1. YTWLs - 5s x 1 x 5, 3s x 2 x 5

First time trying these. They were fun, got a nice burn in my upper back. Will keep these in the mix on straight arm days.

e.pm - SASb1

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pulls - 5 x 7

Ring supports are finally getting easier with the rings turned out, focusing hard on having elbows completely extended on these. Bumped the reps up from 6 to 7 on the arch scap pulls, but I need to remember to keep my neck long and really force my head backwards.

B1. low straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang with pull out - 5 x 15 sec

I need a better place to do my low straddle L's so I can work on getting my hands facing forward instead of sideways, but other than that these felt fine, just need more compression flexibility. The german hangs felt good too, I'm finally started to feel my shoulders loosen up on these.

I was gunna do false grip hangs and some wall handstand holds but the workout was cut short by some family drama.
Hunter Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Hunter Laing

Mon 9-9-13
bw3h7

am - BAS2

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. false grip ring rows - 10 x 6
A2. PPPU - 10 x 6 / 30X1

Still focusing on scapular depression and retraction on the ring rows, but now throwing in some false grip so I can start working on the MU in my next cycle. I didn't really have the hang of the false grip until the last couple sets, and most reps weren't tempo-ed, so I'll stick with the same ring height in my next BAS workout. Really happy to finally hit all 10 sets of 6 in the PPPU. I think the next push I'll work in BAS will be piked HSPUs.

B1. seated db ext rot - 6.5# x 5 x 10 each arm / 4012

I had gone up to 7# on these last time, but I wasn't feeling as much of a burn in my shoulders which is what I'm really going for so I dropped down. I might even go back to 5# and work the reps super strict next time.

e.pm - OLY

joints
stick halos/dislocates
RBMs
ankles
AM fem/bar

A1. 1RM 2 pos(low hang, hang above knee) snatch
75 x 2 x 1
80 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1 PR-worked up to this last time but failed the hang rep
110 x f
110 x 1 PR

I've been working on getting a closer stance ohs on my snatch catch, so it takes me a while to get the position warmed up. I also was cutting my pull short today until around 95#, but I was getting under the bar really quick. I missed the hang rep on my first attempt at 110# because I didn't stay on my heels and let the bar get too far in front of me; I still stood up with it, but I caught it in a power pos so I count it as a fail.

B1. 3 x 1 @ 90% of above
100 x 1
100 x f
100 x 2 x 1

Most of these reps felt fast and strong. I missed the low hang rep on my second attempt because I came onto my toes and let the bar get out front, but when I focused on staying back the next 2 sets were easy.

C1. ankle mobility

I've figured out that my ankles are keeping me from achieving the position I want in my snatch and clean catches so I've been mobbing the shit out of em lately.

pm - EQ1

joints
wrists
straddle
shoulders

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 15 sec
A2. bridge pushups x 10, 8, 6

The back body line drill is basically a hollow body hold, keeping the low back flat on the ground, while trying to keep the rest of the body as extended as possible, and I'm using the bridge pushups to open up my shoulders a little more.

B1. HS body line wall drill - 3 x 30 sec
B2. straddle pike pulls - 3 x 10 w/ 10 sec hold on last rep

The HS body line wall drills went really well today, I think I'm getting closer to finding the proper body position for a solid handstand. My wrists today were less than an inch from the wall on all three sets, my back was flat, my belly was sucked in, and the weight was distributed across my knuckles instead of the palm of my hand. I also noticed that trying to spread the floor with my hands helps the position feel more solid.

My straddle and pike flexibility is still crap.

C1. gatherings, piked x 10, 8, 6

Did the first set unbroken, fell on rep 6 of the second set, then made it through the third unbroken. These are fun.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Beasty Boy

awesome!
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Hunter Laing

Thanks man, but those lifts are pounds, so not that awesome yet.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Hunter Laing

Tue 9-10-13
bw3h7

e.pm - OLY

joints
stick halos
dyna flex
RBM
ankles
Am fem/bar

A1. 1RM: 2 clean pulls + 1 clean
95 x 2
115 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 1
155 x 1
160 x 1 PR

Probably had 165# at least on this, but I had forgotten how much doing pulls before the full lift tires out my legs and I wanted to save em for squats so I stopped with a 5# PR. Front squat position was also very comfortable today, and I was extremely focused on keeping my feet close with my knees out.

B1. 3x1 @ 90%
145 x 3 x 1

No problems here. All reps were quick and easy.

C1. HBBS
b x 10
95 x 5
135 x 3
160 x 5
180 x 5
190 x 3
205 x 2
225 x 1 PR

225 is the weight I projected as my max when starting the hatch program with outlaw, but I hadn't actually had that much weight(not that its a lot of weight) on the bar in a long time, and this single was fairly easy, with good form, so I'm happy with it.

D1. Front Squat
b x 5
95 x 3
120 x 5
140 x 4
150 x 4
160 x 4

These felt good today, even though on the second rep at 140# I got really lightheaded and dizzy, so I just stood there with the bar racked until I felt better, then finished the set. I think the bar was pressing into my throat too much.

E1. ankle mob

I think I'm starting to get to the point with my oly lifts where my legs are going to start holding me back more than my technique. Hopefully this hatch program pays off with some much bigger squat numbers so I can keep my lifts going up.

pm - EQ2

joints
wrists
straddle
shoulders

A2. bridge pushups w/ 10 sec hold on last rep - 10, 8, 6

B2. straddle pike pulls - 3 x 10 w/ 10 sec hold on last rep

C1. gatherings, piked, 10 sec hold on last rep - 10, 8, 6
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Hunter Laing

Wed 9-11-13
bw3h7
cort1

am - SASa2

joints
wrists
scaps

A2. tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Front levers felt really strong today. The first hold was basically an adv tuck position for the whole 15 sec. Still focusing on retracting scaps hard and lengthening my neck for depression.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - blue x 5 x 15 sec

Tuck planches went well today. I tried to focus on feeling my serratus working, and it worked for a couple sets, but I started to lose depression, so I need to remember to feel my SA while keeping my neck long. Knees to elbows felt better today too. I think the secret to them is to keep the upper back and shoulders active the whole time, because I was swinging less on the way down and not getting into as much of a FL position on the way up.

C1. YTWLs - 3# x 3 x 5 ea

These are a really good cool down/prehab movement for my straight arm days.

e.pm - SASb2

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. ring support - 5 x 15 sec

Not much to say here, ring supports are getting stronger every time I do em, and I'm having to arch less and less on the scap pulls. I just need to remember to focus on hard retraction at the top, and I'm trying to externally rotate my arms a little at the top too because I can pull much harder in the arch scap hang with a neutral grip than with pronated one.

B1. bent knee straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang w/ pull out - 5 x 15 sec

Decided to try out bent knee straddle L's instead of straight leg straddle L's because I feel like the low straddle L isn't helping bring up my compression strength which, along with some pike flexibility, is what I really need to a true straddle L. Got deeper in the german hangs, and started lowering into them in an adv tuck back lever.

C1. YTWLs - 3# x 3 x 5 ea

My shoulders and upper back feel awesome after these. Its incredible how much of a burn you can get with so little weight.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Hunter Laing

Wed 9-18-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Wrists felt better today during press HS's, I'm not really sure what was up last week but they're all good now. I'm pretty confident I can call my front lever holds today adv tuck, because my knees were on the other side of the pullup bar, creating about a 90* angle at my hips. I was focusing really hard on flexing my abs to stay hollow, and on trying to rip the bar apart, but next time I need to focus on keeping my neck long to make sure I'm getting the depression I need.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red/purp x 5 x 15 sec

Tuck planches felt good, focused on long neck and looking forward for depression, hard protraction, and squeezing the floor together with my hands. I think I might need to drop the purple band next time because my hips are still higher than my shoulders.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

These always make my shoulders feel great.

D1. wrist conditioning

I've been having a weird sensation in my left knee today. It feels like a tendon or ligament is pulling on a bone, but only in a certain position. The best way I can describe this position is like a standing quad/hip stretch with the upper leg perpendicular to the floor and the lower leg folded up behind it, however it only hurts if I use my leg muscles to reach the position, and not if I pull my lower leg up with my arms. I'm wondering now whether it was the knee series on monday, the ankle/shrimp/pistol work yesterday, or the straddle work yesterday that did it, but I will be keeping a close eye on it.

_________

pm - SASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 20 sec

Supports went pretty well today, but started getting shaky at the end. Elbows were locked out hard though, and I'm started to get a little bit of retraction going on. The first couple reps of each set of scap pulls felt really strong, but the later reps...not so much. I also noticed some swinging which I tried to control in later sets.

B1. bent straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hand w/ pull out - 5 x 15 sec

Bent straddle Ls still suck. German hangs are getting deeper and easier to pull out of; I am now putting my feet flat on the floor at the bottom of the hang, although I'm not letting them hold any weight. I also started actively retracting during the hang and found it allows me to get deeper.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning
Old 09-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Hunter Laing

Thu 9-19-13
bw4h8
cort2

e.pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
ankles
stick series
AM fem

A1. heavy non-max snatch balance
fem x 5 x 5
b x 3 x 5
75 x 3 x 3
80 x 2 x 3
85 x 2 x 2
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1
110 x 2 x 1
115 x 1 PR

These showed me a lot of these that I feel I need to fix on my snatches. First, on the catch of my snatch, I need to turn my wrists over more and catch the bar more in the palm of my hand. I put it more in the palm of my hand on these today and it made the overhead position much more stable, as well as put the bar slightly farther backward which led to a better ohs position. I also realized that, while looking up on front squats and cleans leads to a better position, looking up during my snatches does not, so I will continue to look straight forward. I also need to work on my speed under the bar on these because I should be able to snatch balance more than my snatch, right?

Also, I did so many warm up sets because I was waiting for the platform and rack to open up, since my gym only as one...

B1. ankle mob
B2. pistol switchs - 20# x 2 x 10 sec each leg

C1. knee series

This time I was able to do the cross-leg squats without hand assistance, but I did have to rock a little to start the movement, and I need a little more control on the negatives.

D1. super squat hip sequence

_________

pm - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
sticks

A2. weighted shoulder opener - 15# x 3 x 30 sec

I stumbled onto this today while googling handstand stuff, and put some of their drills in place today. The first was that, during the back body line drill, you keep the backs of your hands pressed firmly into the ground. This made a hollow position much harder to hold, which is why I went back down in time for each rep.

B2. half straddle downs - 3 x 6

Used another variation from the handbalancing thing I found today, where, in the HS body line wall drill, you put your forehead against the wall. I think this actually messed up my body line, but that might be because my shoulders are still a little tight and once they open up more it will improve. Also, on the straddle downs, I was only a couple inches from touching my butt to the ground on a couple reps, so hopefully soon I'll be doing full straddle ups.

C1. gatherings - piked x 10, 8, 6 w. 10 sec hold on last rep

These were frustrating today, as I tried to make my headstand body line resemble my handstand body line, but this resulting in a droopy, slightly piked at the hip position, and I lost balance out of it a couple times on the first set. I did the second and third sets like normal, but this is something I will have to play wiht

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders
Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Hunter Laing

Fri 9-20-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - BAS2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. false grip ground rows - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
A2. ring dips - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5

Huge breakthrough on false grip rows today. For the first two sets, I reset my grip every rep to try and get the strongest false grip hold I could, but I was still slipping some, so I decided to try chalking my hands. The next 8 sets were done without a single regrip, which allowed me to focus a lot more on retraction and depression and on pulling with my lats. I also made sure to pull my chest to the rings on every rep and focused on keeping my elbows as close as possible.

Numbers dropped by 1 in the ring dips, for two reasons I think: 1) I did a more advance row, requiring more strength from my back which made my whole body slightly more fatigued, and 2) I started checking my depth by making sure I touched my bicep to the rings in the bottom part of every rep.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 10 each arm

On these today, I focused on actually rotating my shoulder, which started pumping up some of the middle parts of my back. I'll need to do some research to see where I should actually be feeling this movement because I'm still not sure.

C1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
sticks
AM fem/bar

A1. snatch 1rm
75 x 2 x 3
85 x 2 x 2
95 x 1
105 x 1
115 x 1
120 x 1
125 x f
125 x 1
130 x f
130 x 1 form PR
135 x f
135 x 1 PR MOTHERFUCKERS

Super pumped that I hit 135# today, especially seeing as I had set it as a goal for 4 weeks from now at the end of the hatch cycle. It still needs some work, though. I didn't catch it as low as I'd like to, and I didn't have enough control over it to lower into a full ohs but still, I'm pretty happy to have hit this weight. In the video you can see me about to yell with excitement but then I notice the gym owner, who hates loud noises in his gym, watching me so I try to play it off, haha.

Some things about the snatch today: I tried squeezing my upper back at the start of the snatch, and it felt like it made my overhead position in the catch much stronger. I need to work on getting my elbow high and outside when shrugged though, because I forgot to do that a lot, resulting in all my misses today, which were all forward. I also need to work on hitting the deep squat as fast as possible, instead of catching a little high and then riding it down, because lately all my max attempts have been caught a little high and not under enough control to ride down.

B1. clean 1rm
95 x 2
115 x 2
135 x 1
155 x 1
165 x 1
175 x 1
185 x f

Cleans felt a little off today. I tried starting with a tight upper back like in the snatches, but it kinda threw me out of my groove a little. Still, 175 was pretty easy, and I got under it quick. 185 was easily high enough, but I didnt pull under it fast enough, caught it too forward on my shoulders, and had to dump it. After dropping 3 snatches today, I was already under the watchful eye of the gym owner, and as soon as I dumped 185 he came running to yell at me for making too much noise. I decided to call it quits at this point because I didn't want to get kicked out until I find a better gym that allows dropping.

Also, one thing I need to work on for my cleans is reaching full hip extension before pulling under. I'm not yet sure why I don't do this, but I'm going to start paying more attention to it.

C1. ankle mob
C2. shrimps - back leg only x 2 x 5 each leg
C3. harop curl - hand assisted x 2 x 5
C4. pistol switches - 20# x 2 x 10 sec each leg

D1. super squat hip sequence
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Hunter Laing

Sat 9-21-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - SASa2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted half tuck press HS - 5 x 3
A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Wall press HS's felt fine today, and my wrists didn't feel that strained which is good. One thing I need to remember to do during these is to keep my elbow pits(?) pointed forward; this lessens the strain on my wrists. Front levers were fine, but not great. I think I'm trying to extend my hips too much for my current lever of strength, because today they were a little higher than parallel. Next time I do these, I need to focus on maintaining a strong hollow position, and then slowly uncurl my legs from the hips only, instead of letting my low back arch, while also remembering to retract hard and keep my neck long.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red x 5 x 15 sec

Moved on to just the red band for tuck planches today, and I think I got my first real taste of what a tuck planche feels like. The first two sets felt the best; my hips were finally level with my shoulders, I was having to push away with my entire shoulder girdle while squeezing the floor together between my hands and keeping my neck long, and I had to tuck really hard, which is a first for me. The third and fourth sets were a little iffy, I think I wasn't tucking hard enough, and the fifth set I tried squeezing my chest during the movement as well, which resulted in higher hips than the first 2 sets. I'm not sure if this means it was a stronger position or if it just took me out of the position I really wanted to be in, so I will continue to experiment.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

Makes my upper back feel so good, and it was sore this morning after my snatch PR yesterday.

D1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 20 sec

Ring supports felt really strong today, except for a weird feeling in my lift shoulder that I only got right when pressing to support. I think it might just be sore from ring dips and snatches yesterday. Arch scap pulls felt a little off, so I just did my best to focus on hard retraction and depression while keeping my arms slightly externally rotated.

B1. bent straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. pronated german hang - 5 x 20 sec

I haven't made much, if any, progress on the straddle L's throughout this cycle, and I'm pretty sure its a compression/flexibility issue. I'm not too worried though because the only reason I want a straddle L is for a stalder press and thats a long way off. The first set of german hangs I did today were on the rings, but I didn't like how it felt so I went back to the straight bar, pronated grip, and things felt much better.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning