Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
Stefan Westernacher

Default technique development

First post, so: Hello everybody!

After reading Olympic Weightlifting and also buying the DVD and watching it I am pretty sure that I want to work on technique before learning the whole thing wrong.
So first I thought about doing the "Technique Development Program" from the book, but 12 weeks is really long.
So what would you suggest to somebody who has done the lifts already a few times, but wants to concentrate on doing every single little movement right?
Is there a shorter program? Should I only do the progressions without any program?
And what after that? I thought about the "Classic Lift Position/Technique Cycle" from the book to stabilise the technique followed by "Strength by Feel" or something similar.

Thanks for your answers!

Stefan W.
Stefan Westernacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Blake Barnes

Hi Stefan,

For a beginner, I would highly recommend the Technique Development Program. One thing you need to know about Weightlifting before you get into it is that you need to have patience. 12 weeks is a long time but if you want to get all of the positions correct then that's the way to go before getting into a more advanced program. It's common for people to jump the gun on a more advanced program without going through a beginner program first. Then they don't understand why they have so many bad habits after a year of training and can't figure out how to fix them.

After the Technique Development Program, you can try to target your weaknesses and choose your next program from there. For example, if strength is a problem for you then try a strength program.

Feel free to post videos for some feedback.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Stefan Westernacher

Thank you for your quick answer, Blake!

I understand and it's kind of cool to learn it that way with every little detail. But I have two little problems with following the program as described.

1. The book says something like "no weight prescribed for any exercise" and "none are intended to be performed with significant loading". I understand that with all classic lifts and all exercises of the progression. But why with the different squats, deadlifts and presses? It would be great to get generally stronger while learning the technique.

2. In about 6 weeks I have a 3-week-long trip and I thought a longer break while doing the progression would not be beneficial. That's why I asked for a shorter version of the program.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Blake Barnes

There's no weight prescribed because beginners don't have maxes for Snatch/Clean & Jerk and sometimes don't have maxes for BS/FS so it's more of a "go-by-feel" load. If your squat technique is fine then you can progress as you go.

The DLs aren't your traditional DLs. It's all Snatch/C&J DL so it's not necessarily a heavily loaded exercise for a beginner.

Is there no where for you to train on your trip?

If not, maybe you can do an abbreviated version of the program: Weeks 3, 4, 5 and then 7, 8, 9. Then when you come back from your trip do about the same thing or even go through to the end of the program so you can get back into it from the long break.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Stefan Westernacher

Thank you, Blake!
It's some kind of ski trip with kids, I don't think there will be a place to train. But I will try to break it down a bit and repeat it after the trip, like you said.