Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Helder Castro

Default Off Season Programming

Competitive season has ended this month and i will only start training the lifts full-time again in September,so i have two full months to do other things.
I'm trying a high-frequency routine developed by a friend of mine,5 days a week,6 exercises(deadlift,squat,bench press,power clean,chin-ups and push press) but i'm wondering about the olympic lifts,i was planning to do something like:

a) Monday: clean & jerk: 1 to 5 singles
snatch: 10 singles 1mrest

Friday: Snatch 5-10 singles
Clean & Jerk 8x1 2m rest

Or

B) Snatch/clean jerk singles+ snatch & Clean & jerk complexes

C) Working my weak points(speed under bar/weak jerk) with low volume/intensity

D) Any of the 8week routines posted at the program section but only performing the olympic lifts??

I think i need to keep it simple,i'm an old man(39).

Any suggestions??

Thank you all!!

Helder
Helder Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Competitive season for Weightlifting? I consider the off-season the one week immediately after the national championships.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Helder Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Competitive season for Weightlifting? I consider the off-season the one week immediately after the national championships.
Greg,

There are very few competitons here (Portugal),besides my coach e-mails all the workouts for the week,as he is more than 300km away,i train alone.
What i meant to say,is how to do the minimum necessary to not "forget" how to lift in the next two months?

Any suggestion besides what i wrote before??

Thank you

Helder
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Tamara Reynolds

If it were me (or any of my athletes), and there was no major competition until September, I would go in a completely different direction. In fact, our next meet is September 28 (outside of mock meets, which we treat as heavy training days), so we are doing just that.

1. Strength focus - squats and pulls
2. Bodybuilding to increase overall muscle mass

I mean, you can play with it any way you want, but I squat first at all costs and do some sort of bodybuilding every day. Snatch and clean and jerk are an afterthought and only once or twice a week. When I do them, I do something completely different, like repping out 85-90% of my best snatch. That keeps things interesting.

I've added 23 kg to my squat in 7 weeks. I just did an unsanctioned meet, and all of my lifts were a joke. 23 kg makes a huge difference.

And, I'm 37. I'm not old. Sorry.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

I guess my point is that you're never not training specifically for weightlifting, even without any upcoming meets or a nearby coach.

I agree w Tamara that this is a good time to really push basic strength (although weightlifting-specific) with squats, pulls, DL variations, pressing variations, etc. Continue doing the classic lifts and variations thereof, but you can definitely back off the intensity/frequency of them for a period of time to really goose your strength numbers.

So the minimum, which is I guess the crux of your question, will depend on you personally. I feel like I can snatch and clean & jerk 1x/week only if I need to and be fine, but obviously that's only if needed and when I'm nowhere near competing.

I think a combination of A and C would be fine - do each competition lift at least 1x/week, and some tech work specific to your needs in addition. If you're only doing the comp lifts 1x/wk each, I would do something like:

Day 1
Snatch
CJ tech work

Day 2
CJ
Snatch tech work

That way you're getting exposure to each lift basically 2x/wk even though you're only doing the lift itself 1x/wk.

BUT if you're going to do that, you better be pushing the strength work hard.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Reynolds View Post
I've added 23 kg to my squat in 7 weeks. I just did an unsanctioned meet, and all of my lifts were a joke. 23 kg makes a huge difference.
Yeah that will make a CJ feel pretty saucy. What has your program been like for that?

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Helder Castro

Quote:
I guess my point is that you're never not training specifically for weightlifting, even without any upcoming meets or a nearby coach.

I agree w Tamara that this is a good time to really push basic strength (although weightlifting-specific) with squats, pulls, DL variations, pressing variations, etc. Continue doing the classic lifts and variations thereof, but you can definitely back off the intensity/frequency of them for a period of time to really goose your strength numbers.

So the minimum, which is I guess the crux of your question, will depend on you personally. I feel like I can snatch and clean & jerk 1x/week only if I need to and be fine, but obviously that's only if needed and when I'm nowhere near competing.

I think a combination of A and C would be fine - do each competition lift at least 1x/week, and some tech work specific to your needs in addition. If you're only doing the comp lifts 1x/wk each, I would do something like:

Day 1
Snatch
CJ tech work

Day 2
CJ
Snatch tech work

That way you're getting exposure to each lift basically 2x/wk even though you're only doing the lift itself 1x/wk.

BUT if you're going to do that, you better be pushing the strength work hard.
That template looks good Greg,thanks.I don't know if my strength will go up but i will be power cleaning,bench pressing,push pressing ,squatting,deadlifting and doing chin-ups 5 days per week,so let's see how it goes.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Helder Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Reynolds View Post
If it were me (or any of my athletes), and there was no major competition until September, I would go in a completely different direction. In fact, our next meet is September 28 (outside of mock meets, which we treat as heavy training days), so we are doing just that.

1. Strength focus - squats and pulls
2. Bodybuilding to increase overall muscle mass

I mean, you can play with it any way you want, but I squat first at all costs and do some sort of bodybuilding every day. Snatch and clean and jerk are an afterthought and only once or twice a week. When I do them, I do something completely different, like repping out 85-90% of my best snatch. That keeps things interesting.

And, I'm 37. I'm not old. Sorry.
Thank you for your opinion Tamara and congrats for the 23kg gain.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Tamara Reynolds

Quote:
Yeah that will make a CJ feel pretty saucy. What has your program been like for that?
It's essentially an advanced version of Nick Horton's squat nemesis program. Nick and I have been experimenting on me and a few of our lifters with some variations on the nemesis program and will eventually have a detailed write up of every single squat workout that I've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helder Castro View Post
Thank you for your opinion Tamara and congrats for the 23kg gain.
Thanks, Helder! Good luck with the new programming!
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote