Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Blake Barnes

On the snatch, you're hanging in the air too. On the extension, try to stay connected to the platform a little longer. It looks like you pick up your feet too much which is causing a slower transition underneath the bar on the third pull. It looks like you even jump to the side a little bit on the second snatch. The feet shifting is a very slight movement. To help make that transition quicker, try some tall snatches and some dip snatches. Focus on being more aggressive on that third pull and changing directions faster.

On the jerk, you're shortening up the leg drive and trying to split the feet too soon. Keep driving through the floor until you're fully extended before you go to the split. Also, your elbows are a little soft on the (which may be why you're getting red-lighted) and they're forward. It's hard to critique without a side view but it just looks like your shoulders are just tight which could be the cause for both of these issues. Try to do some mobility work for the shoulders daily before your training.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
Matt Foreman

Let me throw one thing out there, just so you have two different opinions. Your snatch technique looks pretty good to me. The amount of lift you have with your feet as you're transitioning into the turnover isn't necessarily a problem. A lot of great lifters have the same type of movement. You look like you might be jumping forward a little (not sure, can't really tell from the camera angle). If so, that's something you should try to fix. But getting some separation with your feet, if the rest of your extension is straight and precise, isn't a bad thing. If that's how you personally snatch most effectively, that's how you personally snatch most effectively.
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
Blake Barnes

As Matt said, there are plenty of great lifters who have to same movement. Although, I think it's important to keep in mind that those great lifters have been in the sport since they were probably about 10 years old and have had the time to master the basic technique then make small changes according to what works best for them.

Considering you're fairly new (within a couple years) to the sport, I would take the extra time in mastering the general technique before you go and start experimenting with it.

If you were on here snatching 165 and clean & jerking 200 while picking up your feet early I would keep my mouth shut. But I think there is room for improvement.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Allan Young

Thanks for the comments guys, just saw them.

With the snatch and the clean I've been recently trying to focus on on jumping my feet out to give me space to drop it and been working on the hip mobility to go along with this.

I think shoulder tightness is the cause atleast to some extent for the soft lockouts like you say Blake. Are there any specific stretches you would recommend? I have Kelly's book and watch along of his videos but I do tend to spend more time on the hips than the shoulders.
Allan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Blake Barnes

I would make sure that your pecs are stretched out first of all. I think the most important one that works for me is rolling out the teres major/teres minor/infraspinatus area which is basically the armpit. You might look weird doing it but it works so who cares.

You could also get a tennis ball/lacrosse ball and work on the "trigger points" on the front and back side of the shoulder to help loosen it up.

I'm sure there are tons of other things you could do but those are just a few. Hope it helps.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Justin Nees

Just to add on to what everyone else has said, I've been doing physical therapy over the last year and a half for my shoulders, these are the big things I address:
Foam roll Pecs and Lats
Lacrosse ball roll ant/post shoulder
Sleeper Stretch
Scapular Wall Slides
Child's Pose
Doorway Stretch

I typically do these as a part of my prehab in addition to my warm up because I have so many issues with my shoulders, but you can break it up like this to make minimal adds pre, during and post workout.

Pre
Foam roll and Lax ball roll

During
Scapular Wall Slides - During one particular exercise that gives your shoulders trouble do ten in between each set, achieving around 40 total slides

Childs Pose
Doorway Stretch
Lax ball roll again

I have a 2 a day rotation with a separate rehab and warm up that I do before my warm up and workout in the afternoon that includes all of that, I'd be glad to share all of that with you if you're interested.

In the end, all it comes down to, is just you. It's not a question of if your coach can hit it, your best friend, or the guy next to you... The weight is at your feet and now it's your moment, can you do it?
Justin Nees is offline   Reply With Quote