Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Hunter Laing

Tue 9-17-13
bw4h8
cort2

e.pm - OLY

joints/dynaflex
squat mob
AM fem/bar

A1. hi hang clean - non max heavy single
95 x 2 x 3
115 x 2 x 3
125 x 2
135 x 1
145 x 2 x 1
155 x 1

These felt good today, very easy. Today I noticed that sometimes, even if my right foot lands on the heel, my left foot lands on the toe to make up for some ankle mobility differences, and I think that might be a reason for some of the knee pain I get in my left leg and not my right. The squat mobility work I've been doing, which includes rolling IT bands, adductors, and glutes, then v rolls, fire hydrants, and some MWod stuff, really helped today. I also starting looking up a little higher than usual, and I think it resulted in a slightly more upright posture in the hole; I will experiment more with this.

B1. ankle mob - roll calves and feet, ankle rocks
B2. shrimps - back knee only x 2 x 5 each leg
B3. harop curl - hand assisted x 2 x 5
B4. pistol switches - 20# x 1 x 5 sec each, 20# x 1 x 10 sec each

I'm really liking the combination of some "strength" movements with my ankle mobility, because I feel like it opens up new ranges of motion that I am then immediately able to use, and hopefully that will lead to lasting gains and the ability to do these one-leg moves well so I can move on to some more advanced LGPs. Also I feel like I'm getting closer to a full harop curl from parallel.

C1. super squat hip sequence

_________

pm - EQ1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
A2. weighted bench shoulder stretch - 20# x 3 x 30 sec

Body line drill felt good today, 20 sec was pretty easy. I also started to look at my hands during the hold to get the same feeling of being in a handstand. Shoulder stretches felt good, and I think helped me open up my shoulders more for my work against the wall than the bridge pushups did.

B1. HS body line wall drill - 3 x 30 sec
B2. half straddle downs - 1 x 6 / sit in straddle - 2 x 30 sec

HS body line drills felt good, line looked decent, and I practiced the cambered hand technique for the first time, which felt very solid. I had intended on doing 3x10 half straddle downs, but I felt some tenderness in my left hamstring/adductor from last week and decided not to push it, so I just sat in a straddle with as upright posture as I could. Also, my whole lower body is already sore from the intense stretching I've been doing before and after my OLY sessions.

C1. gatherings - piked x 10, 8, 6 w/ 10 sec hold on last rep

Got all sets of gatherings unbroken today. Might repeat this next EQ session, and then add more reps or another set.

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders

Forgot to do these in the warmup, although I might like them better as a cool down.
Hunter Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Hunter Laing

Wed 9-18-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted tuck half press HS - 5 x 3
A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Wrists felt better today during press HS's, I'm not really sure what was up last week but they're all good now. I'm pretty confident I can call my front lever holds today adv tuck, because my knees were on the other side of the pullup bar, creating about a 90* angle at my hips. I was focusing really hard on flexing my abs to stay hollow, and on trying to rip the bar apart, but next time I need to focus on keeping my neck long to make sure I'm getting the depression I need.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red/purp x 5 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 5 x 10

Tuck planches felt good, focused on long neck and looking forward for depression, hard protraction, and squeezing the floor together with my hands. I think I might need to drop the purple band next time because my hips are still higher than my shoulders.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

These always make my shoulders feel great.

D1. wrist conditioning

I've been having a weird sensation in my left knee today. It feels like a tendon or ligament is pulling on a bone, but only in a certain position. The best way I can describe this position is like a standing quad/hip stretch with the upper leg perpendicular to the floor and the lower leg folded up behind it, however it only hurts if I use my leg muscles to reach the position, and not if I pull my lower leg up with my arms. I'm wondering now whether it was the knee series on monday, the ankle/shrimp/pistol work yesterday, or the straddle work yesterday that did it, but I will be keeping a close eye on it.

_________

pm - SASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 20 sec
A2. arch scap pulls - 5 x 7

Supports went pretty well today, but started getting shaky at the end. Elbows were locked out hard though, and I'm started to get a little bit of retraction going on. The first couple reps of each set of scap pulls felt really strong, but the later reps...not so much. I also noticed some swinging which I tried to control in later sets.

B1. bent straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hand w/ pull out - 5 x 15 sec

Bent straddle Ls still suck. German hangs are getting deeper and easier to pull out of; I am now putting my feet flat on the floor at the bottom of the hang, although I'm not letting them hold any weight. I also started actively retracting during the hang and found it allows me to get deeper.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning
Old 09-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Hunter Laing

Thu 9-19-13
bw4h8
cort2

e.pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
ankles
stick series
AM fem

A1. heavy non-max snatch balance
fem x 5 x 5
b x 3 x 5
75 x 3 x 3
80 x 2 x 3
85 x 2 x 2
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1
110 x 2 x 1
115 x 1 PR

These showed me a lot of these that I feel I need to fix on my snatches. First, on the catch of my snatch, I need to turn my wrists over more and catch the bar more in the palm of my hand. I put it more in the palm of my hand on these today and it made the overhead position much more stable, as well as put the bar slightly farther backward which led to a better ohs position. I also realized that, while looking up on front squats and cleans leads to a better position, looking up during my snatches does not, so I will continue to look straight forward. I also need to work on my speed under the bar on these because I should be able to snatch balance more than my snatch, right?

Also, I did so many warm up sets because I was waiting for the platform and rack to open up, since my gym only as one...

B1. ankle mob
B2. pistol switchs - 20# x 2 x 10 sec each leg

C1. knee series

This time I was able to do the cross-leg squats without hand assistance, but I did have to rock a little to start the movement, and I need a little more control on the negatives.

D1. super squat hip sequence

_________

pm - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
sticks

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 15 sec
A2. weighted shoulder opener - 15# x 3 x 30 sec

I stumbled onto this today while googling handstand stuff, and put some of their drills in place today. The first was that, during the back body line drill, you keep the backs of your hands pressed firmly into the ground. This made a hollow position much harder to hold, which is why I went back down in time for each rep.

B2. half straddle downs - 3 x 6

Used another variation from the handbalancing thing I found today, where, in the HS body line wall drill, you put your forehead against the wall. I think this actually messed up my body line, but that might be because my shoulders are still a little tight and once they open up more it will improve. Also, on the straddle downs, I was only a couple inches from touching my butt to the ground on a couple reps, so hopefully soon I'll be doing full straddle ups.

C1. gatherings - piked x 10, 8, 6 w. 10 sec hold on last rep

These were frustrating today, as I tried to make my headstand body line resemble my handstand body line, but this resulting in a droopy, slightly piked at the hip position, and I lost balance out of it a couple times on the first set. I did the second and third sets like normal, but this is something I will have to play wiht

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders
Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
Hunter Laing

Fri 9-20-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - BAS2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. false grip ground rows - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
A2. ring dips - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5

Huge breakthrough on false grip rows today. For the first two sets, I reset my grip every rep to try and get the strongest false grip hold I could, but I was still slipping some, so I decided to try chalking my hands. The next 8 sets were done without a single regrip, which allowed me to focus a lot more on retraction and depression and on pulling with my lats. I also made sure to pull my chest to the rings on every rep and focused on keeping my elbows as close as possible.

Numbers dropped by 1 in the ring dips, for two reasons I think: 1) I did a more advance row, requiring more strength from my back which made my whole body slightly more fatigued, and 2) I started checking my depth by making sure I touched my bicep to the rings in the bottom part of every rep.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 10 each arm

On these today, I focused on actually rotating my shoulder, which started pumping up some of the middle parts of my back. I'll need to do some research to see where I should actually be feeling this movement because I'm still not sure.

C1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
sticks
AM fem/bar

A1. snatch 1rm
75 x 2 x 3
85 x 2 x 2
95 x 1
105 x 1
115 x 1
120 x 1
125 x f
125 x 1
130 x f
130 x 1 form PR
135 x f
135 x 1 PR MOTHERFUCKERS

Super pumped that I hit 135# today, especially seeing as I had set it as a goal for 4 weeks from now at the end of the hatch cycle. It still needs some work, though. I didn't catch it as low as I'd like to, and I didn't have enough control over it to lower into a full ohs but still, I'm pretty happy to have hit this weight. In the video you can see me about to yell with excitement but then I notice the gym owner, who hates loud noises in his gym, watching me so I try to play it off, haha.

Some things about the snatch today: I tried squeezing my upper back at the start of the snatch, and it felt like it made my overhead position in the catch much stronger. I need to work on getting my elbow high and outside when shrugged though, because I forgot to do that a lot, resulting in all my misses today, which were all forward. I also need to work on hitting the deep squat as fast as possible, instead of catching a little high and then riding it down, because lately all my max attempts have been caught a little high and not under enough control to ride down.

B1. clean 1rm
95 x 2
115 x 2
135 x 1
155 x 1
165 x 1
175 x 1
185 x f

Cleans felt a little off today. I tried starting with a tight upper back like in the snatches, but it kinda threw me out of my groove a little. Still, 175 was pretty easy, and I got under it quick. 185 was easily high enough, but I didnt pull under it fast enough, caught it too forward on my shoulders, and had to dump it. After dropping 3 snatches today, I was already under the watchful eye of the gym owner, and as soon as I dumped 185 he came running to yell at me for making too much noise. I decided to call it quits at this point because I didn't want to get kicked out until I find a better gym that allows dropping.

Also, one thing I need to work on for my cleans is reaching full hip extension before pulling under. I'm not yet sure why I don't do this, but I'm going to start paying more attention to it.

C1. ankle mob
C2. shrimps - back leg only x 2 x 5 each leg
C3. harop curl - hand assisted x 2 x 5
C4. pistol switches - 20# x 2 x 10 sec each leg

D1. super squat hip sequence
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Hunter Laing

Sat 9-21-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - SASa2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted half tuck press HS - 5 x 3
A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Wall press HS's felt fine today, and my wrists didn't feel that strained which is good. One thing I need to remember to do during these is to keep my elbow pits(?) pointed forward; this lessens the strain on my wrists. Front levers were fine, but not great. I think I'm trying to extend my hips too much for my current lever of strength, because today they were a little higher than parallel. Next time I do these, I need to focus on maintaining a strong hollow position, and then slowly uncurl my legs from the hips only, instead of letting my low back arch, while also remembering to retract hard and keep my neck long.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red x 5 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 5 x 10

Moved on to just the red band for tuck planches today, and I think I got my first real taste of what a tuck planche feels like. The first two sets felt the best; my hips were finally level with my shoulders, I was having to push away with my entire shoulder girdle while squeezing the floor together between my hands and keeping my neck long, and I had to tuck really hard, which is a first for me. The third and fourth sets were a little iffy, I think I wasn't tucking hard enough, and the fifth set I tried squeezing my chest during the movement as well, which resulted in higher hips than the first 2 sets. I'm not sure if this means it was a stronger position or if it just took me out of the position I really wanted to be in, so I will continue to experiment.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

Makes my upper back feel so good, and it was sore this morning after my snatch PR yesterday.

D1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 20 sec
A2. arch scap pulls - 5 x 7

Ring supports felt really strong today, except for a weird feeling in my lift shoulder that I only got right when pressing to support. I think it might just be sore from ring dips and snatches yesterday. Arch scap pulls felt a little off, so I just did my best to focus on hard retraction and depression while keeping my arms slightly externally rotated.

B1. bent straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. pronated german hang - 5 x 20 sec

I haven't made much, if any, progress on the straddle L's throughout this cycle, and I'm pretty sure its a compression/flexibility issue. I'm not too worried though because the only reason I want a straddle L is for a stalder press and thats a long way off. The first set of german hangs I did today were on the rings, but I didn't like how it felt so I went back to the straight bar, pronated grip, and things felt much better.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 3 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning
Old 09-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Hunter Laing

Sun 9-22-13
bw4h8
cort2

Today's a rest day. I just spent around 30 minutes on the foam roller, working over my whole body, but giving more attention to my upper back and t spine, which has been sore and tight since friday. I'm feeling much better now, and I'm about to pig out on some chinese food as my cheat meal/carb up for the week.

reminder to future me: Chinese food makes you feel like shit...make better carb up choices next time

Last edited by Hunter Laing : 09-22-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: feelin like shit...
Old 09-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
Hunter Laing

Mon 9-23-13
Bw5h9
Cort3

am - BASd

Joints
Wrist stretches
Scaps

A1. False grip body rows / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6,
A2. Ring dips / 30x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6

Moved my feet up onto a box that is about he same height as the rings, and added tempo to Hou movements today, which made them both harder. On the rows, my false grip held pretty strong until the last couple reps of the last set when my left hand started slipping a little. Dips were also harder today than they were last BAS session, but again I'm attributing that to advancing on my pull movement. I might be spending a couple sessions on these body rows to get 10x6, but hopefully I'll reach it in the next two weeks so I can start working fg pull-ups at the start of my muscle up cycle.

B1. Seated db ext rot - 5# x 2 x 10

These were meh today. I think it might be time to increase weight

C1. Wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
ankles
AM fem/bar
lots of sn balances and ohs

A1. work to arm hang snatch (above knees)
75 x 2 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 3
95 x 3
100 x 2+f
100 x 3
105 x 2+f
105 x 3 PR-5#

Today was a pretty shitty workout, despite the PR. After warming up, I had to wait probably 30 or 40 minutes for some guy doing box squats on the platform. He did work up to 495# for 5, so I couldn't be too pissed, but he was waiting like 10 minutes between every set, so I just did a bunch of snatch drops and ohs's until he was done. My form on these snatches was shit because, while I was waiting for the platform, my phone died so I had no video to analyze my form after each set, resulting in pretty inconsistent form from set to set and even from rep to rep.

I guess I'm just feeling shitty about today because I feel like, if I had gotten to the gym at my regular time and didn't have to wait fucking 45 minutes after I warmed up to actually start lifting and had my camera so I could correct my faults, I could have crushed 105 and had 110 or maybe 115, because some reps were just flying up, only to have the next rep in the set swing out way forward.

B1. 3x3 hang snatch (above knee) @ 90%
95 x 3 x 3

These were meh...not great but not terrible.

C1. 4x5 hi hang snatch hi pull @ 85% of max snatch
115 x 4 x 5

Strapped up for these. Was also pretty inconsistent on these too, as some reps were flying up to my chin and others I had to dip to get to my chest. I don't really know what was up today but it sucked.

D1. ankle mob
D2. pistol switch - 15# x 3 x 10 sec each leg

Left leg felt stronger than right leg on these today, which is different. Also I need to not forget to do ankle rocks in the ankle mob next time.

E1. knee series

F1. super squat hip sequence
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Hunter Laing

Tue 9-24-13
bw5h9
cort3

e.pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
stick stuff
AM fem/bar

During the AM warmup today, I focused on keeping my low back as tight as possible in the bottom of the ohs and it made it feel so much better. I think I've been letting my low back go soft for a while now, so this is something I will be focusing on for the foreseeable future.

A1. 2RM hang clean (above knees)
95 x 2 x 3
115 x 2
135 x 2
145 x 2
155 x 2
165 x 2
170 x 2 PR-5#

These felt pretty good today, especially considering how shitty I felt lifting yesterday. I may have had 175 on this today, but I didn't wanna push it too hard. I also started experimenting with a knees-in squat (first read about it here) that the Chinese supposedly use to recruit more quad into their squats and to keep the torso more upright, and I like it. I need to learn a little more control when bringing my knees in, because some reps I feel like they came in too far, but overall I think this is something very promising that I will continue to experiment with.

B1. 3x2 hang clean (above knee) @ 95%
160 x 3 x 2

Felt good here. The bar started getting out in front of me on some reps, so I focused more on using my lats to keep the bar close and it worked pretty well. One rep even pulled to far back, but I still caught it and made the lift.

C1. HBBS
b x 5
95 x 5
145 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 5
180 x 5

I experimented with the "chuanfu squat" on these too, and it made them much easier. I need more control over how far I bring my knees in and I need to be more consistent with it, but so far I really like this way of squatting. I also didn't get any of the tweaked feeling in my left knee that I usually get when trying to keep my knees out.

D1. Front squat
b x 5
115 x 5
125 x 3 x 5

Used the "chuanfu squat" on these too, and it really made a difference in how upright I could remain coming out of the hole.

E1. ankle mob
E2. shrimp - back knee only x 3 x 5 each leg
E3. harop curl - 3 x 5
E4. pistol switch - 15# x 3 x 10 sec + 1 concentric rep each leg

I really like this combination for working on knee stability, vmo, and ankle mobility. Also, its official that the only thing holding me back from pistols is ankle mobility, because today, after my 10 sec hold with my left leg, I did a concentric pistol out of the bottom with ease, then I did the same with my right leg. I'll keep working these, and maybe add eccentrics into the mix as well.

F1. super squat hip sequence

_________

pm - EQd

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
stick stuff

A1. back body line drill - 1 x 20 sec
A2. weighted shoulder stretch - 1 x 30 sec

B1. HS body line wall drill - 1 x 30 sec
B2. half straddle down - 1 x 6 + 1 ecc.

I think I might need to move my hands a little away from the wall, because the position I'm in has my shoulders slightly closed because my chest is against the wall. I'll try farther hand placement on thursday.

C1. elbow lever hold - 1 x 15 sec

I havent done these in a long time, but for now I think I'll work towards the OAEL instead of playing around with gatherings until I get my body line better.

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders

This was a nice little deload session.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
Hunter Laing

Wed 9-25-13
bw5h9
cort3

am - SASad

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted half tuck press HS - 2 x 3
A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 2 x 15 sec

Wrists felt a little sore during the press HS's, but I may have had them too far from the wall on the first set as the second set didn't strain them as much. The first front lever hold felt very strong. I was focused on long neck, retraction, and keeping hollow, and I felt my lats working more than I have in any other FL hold I've done. I tried to replicate this feeling on the second set, but I think I focused too hard on the hollow and didn't keep my neck long enough, resulting in a not so great second hold.

B1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 2 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 2 x 10

The first set of tuck planches felt very strong. I had good protraction and depression, and my hips were level with my shoulders the whole time. I could have tucked a little harder though. The second set, I tried turning my hands slightly out to put less strain on my wrists, and the hold felt good, but I only held it for maybe 10 sec. I think this is for two reasons: 1) I didn't have the tension in my wrists to help me lean farther over my hands, and 2) I didn't really tuck at all which just makes it harder. I think that remembering to tuck really hard will be the most important thing for me when training up to the tuck planche, because I need tension throughout my body and not just in my shoulder girdle.

C1. YTWL's - 3#s x 1 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

pm - SASbd

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rto support - 2 x 20 sec
A2. arch scap pull - 2 x 7

Rings supports went well, there was no more pain or clicking in my left shoulder. Arch scap pulls went well too. I started using my feet on the ground to stop any swinging between reps, which I think will, over time, give me more control over the movement and lead to a stronger front lever position.

B1. german hang w/ pull out - 2 x 20 sec

Lowered into these through adv tuck back lever. Also decided to skip the straddle L's as I haven't really gotten anything out of practicing them these past 5 weeks. I think next SASb session that I might either do more sets of ring supports, or maybe some planche leans or protracted plank holds.

C1. YTWL's - 3# x 1 x 5
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
Hunter Laing

Thu 9-26-13
bw5h9
cort3

e.pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
AM bar

A1. 5x3 snatch off blocks (above knee) @ heavy trip -s-
75 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 3
95 x 3
105 x 5 x 3 PR - 5#

These felt really good today for the most part. I focused on using my lats to pull the bar into my hips, and the bar was just flying up on every rep. I also focused on keeping a really tight low back in the bottom of the ohs.

I used my new Broz straps for these today, which I really like now that I'm used to them. I feel like they saved a lot of my grip for my cleans today.

B1. 5x3 clean off blocks (above knee) @ heavy trip
105 x 3
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 3
150 x 5 x 3 PR-5#

These also felt really good today. Again, I focused on using my lats to pull the bar into my hip. I also tried to do the chinese "quad pop", but on a couple of reps this sent the bar too high and caused it to crash on me. I feel like if I could get more consistent with it I could be pulling my lifts a lot higher.

C1. ankle mob
C2. pistol w/ 10 sec hold in bottom - 15# x 3 x 1 each leg

Started throwing in some full pistols today, with a slow eccentric, 10 sec hold in the bottom, and then a concentric rep. Right leg felt really strong. Left leg was slacking on the eccentric part a little bit, and I rolled onto my butt during the second and third sets.

D1. knee series

E1. super squat hip sequence

pm - EQ

joints
wrist stretches
straddle

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
A2. weighted shoulder plank - 3 x 30 sec

Today I moved my knees back much farther on the weighted shoulder stretch and turned it into a plank type exercise where I tried to keep my abs tight and keep my lower back flat while sinking my head as deep between my shoulders as I could.

B2. half straddle downs - 3 x 6

C1. elbow lever hold - 3 x 15 sec

Getting some cramping in my traps during these.

D1. shoulders

E1. wrist conditioning