Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Hunter Laing

Fri 9-27-13
bw5h9
cort3

am - BAS

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. false grip ring rows / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5
A2. ring dips / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5

Ring rows felt good today, and false grip felt really strong. On the last 3 sets, where I hit 5 reps, I was doing the 6th rep but wasn't able to pull the rings to my chest so I didn't count the reps. Ring dips felt good today too, and I started trying to keep the rings more parallel instead of letting them turn in a little at the bottom. Also, on the 5 rep sets, I did the eccentric part of each rep.

B1. seated db ext rot / 4121 - 5# x 5 x 10 each arm

Felt these in my middle back today, and a little in my lat underneath my shoulder, and in my shoulders a little in the later sets.

C1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. snatch 1RM
75 x 2 x 2
85 x 2 x 1
95 x 2 x 1
105 x 1
115 x 1
125 x 1
135 x 1

Snatches felt awesome today. I focused a lot on using my lats to pull the bar to my hips, and it makes the bar shoot up. I was also super happy that I made 135 on the first attempt, even though it was really ugly. I caught it well on my left foot but landed on my toes on my right foot, which made my hips do all sorts of wonky shit, but I still stood up with it and I'm starting to gain more confidence with the weight where before I was getting freaked out a little by it.

B1. clean 1RM
135 x 2 x 1
145 x 1
155 x 1
165 x 1
175 x 1
180 x 1
185 x 1 PR!

Cleans felt great today too. Again, I focused on suing my lats to bring the bar to my hips, but on the 185 clean I also just focused on exploding as hard as I could, and ended up catching the bar much higher than I needed to and riding it down. I really need to get my squat strength up because I feel like I could pull a lot more weight high enough on cleans but I would struggle to stand up with it.

C1. HBBS
b x 5
95 x 5
145 x 2 x 5
170 x 3 x 5

I used the chuanfu thing here, and I really like it. I need to watch how far in I let my knees go though, because on the first set at 170# my left knee came in a little too much and kinda felt tweaked, but it felt fine on the rest of the sets because I was more careful.

D1. ankle mob

E1. super squat hip sequence

Had to cut it short today because I'm heading down to Richmond to hang out with some friends from high school.
Hunter Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
Hunter Laing

Mon 9-30-13
MUi1h10
cort4

am - BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. false grip chins (chest to ring) / 31x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 2*, 2*, 2, 2, 2, 2
A2. rto dips / 31x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2

*missed chest on third rep

False grip chins today were a fun change of pace from body rows, and I was better at them than I thought I was going to be. The setup I have in my basement isnt great for them, because I hang my rings from a doorway pullup bar and I have to kneel to reach full extension in my arms at the hang, and the straps are so short that it makes it hard to pull the rings together in front of my chest. I need to remember to focus on hard retraction and depression at the start of every rep, and I need to focus on pulling with my lats, because when I did this my reps felt a lot stronger and getting my chest to touch the rings was a lot easier

For the rto dips, I am working towards doing them without my forearms resting against the rings. I'm not sure how to do this yet, but I worked today on getting them off the rings at the bottom of the rep and trying to press back up without them touching, although they inevitably would.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 4 x 10 each arm

Still trying to figure out how to feel this in the back of my shoulders, as today I felt them in my lats right under the arm and in my middle back. I also tried turning the dumbbell downward, like pouring out a pitcher, and this made me feel it more in my mid back, but still nothing in my rear delts.

C1. wrist conditioning

Notes: I have moved on from the basic bodyweight accumulation phase that I have been in for the past 5 weeks, but my upper body workout were starting to get a little stale, so I decided its time to go into an intensification phase. This particular phase will be base on getting my first strict muscle up.

There will be two different BAS sessions, one focused on strength in false grip chins and ring dips (today) and the other focused on the muscle up transition. My SAS sessions will now be focused on maintaining the little strength that I have built up in the tuck planche and tuck front lever, as well as maintaining my german hang position.

________

pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar x 2

A1. 1RM 3 pos (floor, hang, hip) snatch
75 x 2 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1 PR tie
110 x f
110 x 1 no PR
110 x 2 x f

Snatches were feeling off today even during the warm up, but I was feeling so good on them on Friday that I still thought I could make a PR. I tied my PR at 105 fairly easily, but the jump to 110 proved too much, and I started getting in my own head about it. I failed the first attempt at 110 on the rep from the hips, and lost it forward because I didn't get under it fast enough. The second attempt I made, but the hip rep was really ugly, and I caught it on my toes of my right foot again like I did with 135 on Friday, and since it was so ugly I'm not counting it as an actual make or a PR. The third set at 110 I was all in my head and caught the rep from the floor in a position where I could ohs it, so I restarted the set, which is then failed on the hang rep after I went to my toes on my right foot again. I need to pay a lot of attention to this so it doesn't become a reoccurring pattern during my lifts. Fuck.

B1. 3x1 3 pos(floor, hang, hip) snatch @ 90%
95 x 3 x 1

These felt better than I thought they would have after I was having so much trouble at 110. I started pulling slower off the ground to get into a better position, and I widened up my stance on the pull and the catch, which seemed to help with positioning a little. After having such a shit day on snatches, the last set at these felt good, especially the rep from the hip i which I pulled under really well. This is how I need to pull under all the time.

After looking at all the videos after leaving the gym, it was clear to me that I was having trouble on almost all reps because I wasn't getting my elbows high and outside, and was actually keeping them straight, causing the bar to loop around which is why most of my reps were caught forward and had to be muscled into the right position. On the only rep today that felt really strong, on my last set at 95#, I think I got my elbows up which is why I got under the bar so well.

C1. 4x5 round back snatch grip DLs + 5 snatch hi pulls
95 x 4 x 5+5

These were rough on both my lower back and my legs, but overall I guess it was a fun change of pace. The round back deadliest actually felt really good, and I focused on curling and uncurling my spine to try and feel my erectors working. On the snatch hi pulls, i focused on getting my elbows up and out, and on squeezing my upper back at the top of the pull. I will try doing this on my snatches off blocks on thursday and see if it make my receiving position more stable overhead.

D1. ankle mob
D2. pistol w/ 10 sec hold in bottom - 15# x 3 x 1 each leg

I think the lack of intense ankle mob on friday may have held me back a little today on my snatches, and I was glad to get back to it today, although both legs felt kinda weak on the eccentric portion.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
Hunter Laing

Tue 10-1-13
MUi1h10
cort4

e.pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. 1RM 3 pos (floor, hang, hip) clean
95 x 1
115 x 1
125 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 1
150 x 1
155 x 1
160 x 1 PR - 5#

These felt pretty good today. I started out my reps focusing on using my lats to pull the bar to my hips, and this was working well for most reps, especially the hip reps which I felt like I was getting under really well. The only problem on these today was that I was landing on my toes a little, especially on reps from the hip, and I think this is probably an ankle mobility issue because I need my knees slightly more forward than I can get them while still on my heels to catch it after a quick pull under. On the rep from the hip at 160, I brought my left knee slightly too far in and felt a little tweak.

B1. 3x1 @ 90%
145 x f

Skipped the other two sets at 145 after failing the rep from the hip on the first set. I failed because I didn't get under it fast enough because I was focusing hard on landing on my heels so I didn't tweak my knee again. I decided to skip and save my knees for squats.

C1. HBBS
b x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
160 x 3
180 x 2
200 x 2
215 x 1

This was by far the easiest squatting has felt in a while. The "chuanfu" method of squatting is finally starting to click I think; instead of thinking "knees in" I've starting thinking about initiating standing up from my hip flexors, while attempting to squeeze my balls with my abductors/adductors (i dunno...the ones on the inside). This causes my knees to go in slightly and then come back out as I stand up, but I wasn't feeling nearly as much strain on my left knee as when I was thinking about actually bringing my knees in, and I stood up just as easily if not more so.

D1. Front Squat

b x 5
95 x 5
120 x 5
140 x 4
150 x 4
160 x 4

By this point in the workout my left knee was pretty sore, but I still tried to focus on initiating the concentric portion with my hip flexors.

E1. ankle mob
E2. shrimp - back knee only x 3 x 5 each leg
E3. harop curl - 3 x 5
E4. pistol switch - 3 x 10 sec each leg

Back into the old ankle mobility/knee stability routine, and it felt pretty good. Harop curls are getting stronger, and I am able to do almost a full 5 sec negative of every rep of the sets, which is some improvement. I decided not to do any eccentric/concentric pistol reps today; instead I'll build back up to it over the next few weeks. I tried the next level shrimp on my left leg today, using my right arm to reach back and grab my right leg, but I am still not mobile enough in my left ankle to do it. I could probably do it with my right leg, but I'll hold off until I can do it on my left first.

F1. super squat hip mob

_______

pm - EQ1

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-fast

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
A2. weighted shoulder plank - 15# x 3 x 20 sec

Tried out something slightly different today on the back body line drill, and didn't go into a full hollow position. Instead, I left my head against the floor while trying to make my back as flat as possible, and also pressing the back of my hands into the floor as before. I think it helped me achieve a better line in the later sets of HS work.

B1. HS body line wall drill with toe touches - 3 x 10

So this was the basic HS body line wall drill, focusing on stacking everything over the shoulders in as straight a line as possible, but with a slight change. I moved my wrists slightly out from the wall, then made my feet flat instead of pointed to line everything up over my hands. Then I would straighten one foot, slowly pull the other off the wall until I was in a freestanding HS and try to hold it as long as possible, which wasn't very long today. I found that, basically as soon as I pressed through my fingers my legs were back on the wall.

C1. HS heel pulls - 3 x 5

These are similar to the previous HS drill, except that these are back to wall. The main goal here is to get the feel of rebalancing with the palms, as well as building more strength to push through the fingers. I had a surprisingly good number of solid holds longer than 5 seconds on these today, which is a lot more than I expected to get. On most reps my feet were a little toward the back of my head, but I was still in a very straight line so I'm ok with it for now.

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders-slow

Also, I think I may have pushed my left knee a little too hard today, as it was getting sore during this EQ session from just coming out of handstands and landing on my left leg first. I will probably do some SMR type stuff on it tonight, and maybe some Cali Strength knee stretches and see how it feels tomorrow which is, luckily, not an OLY day.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
Hunter Laing

Wed 10-2-13
MUi1h10
cort4

am - SAS1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 10 x 7 sec
A2. pull to tuck front lever hold - 10 x 7 sec

Worked on some different hand positions for the tuck planche today. The first set I did was on dbs using them like parallettes, but I didn't feel like I was getting good extension through my scape. Then I took it to palms flat on the ground and tried out some different angles. I found that the angle that felt strongest was actually having my hands very slightly (like a couple of degrees) turned in. I feel like it let my put more weight through my palm and I wasn't tweaking my wrist as much toward my thumb and pointer finger.

I started pulling into the tuck front lever holds today, which made them harder than lowering into them which is what I did during the last 5 weeks. The sets started out in more of an adv tuck position, but later sets were closer to a regular tuck. On these I focused on retraction and depressing really hard before pulling up, as well as trying to externally rotate my arms slightly. Some reps I pulled into a great position and some others it took a little playing around to get into a good retracted, long necked position.

B1. german hang pull to inverted hang - 5 x 3 w/ 5 sec hold in german hang

Did these on a straight bar with a pronated grip, but I think I might move these to the rings soon.

C1. YTWL's - 3# x 3 x 5

Today I focused really hard on the muscles being used during each movement instead of just doing the movement, and it made me feel it a little more, especially on my left side.

________

pm - BASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. toe assisted MU transitions - rings under nose x 8 x 4

I got these from this video by Jeff Tucker, and I will be gauging the intensity of this exercise by how high the rings are compared to my body when I am in the kneeling starting position. Today, the height of the rings was such that I could rest my nose of the portion where I grip the rings. I will probably work here for another session to see how how sore I get (especially in my elbows because I could feel them getting tight after a while) and how my body reacts, and then I will start increasing he height and decreasing the number of reps.

On every rep, I focused on hard retraction and depression of the scapula, as well as on using the lats to pull myself up. I also started with my elbows in front of my body and focused on keeping them as close as possible. I also did a slow negative after each concentric rep, focusing on moving my elbows from above the rings to below them, while keeping the rings as close to my body as possible.

B1. seated db ext rot - 10# x 3 x 5 each arm

I may drop the weight on these next time and go for 5 sets, but I am trying to experiment with going heavier on these since a goal I have for some undetermined point in the future is 1/4 bw for 5 reps on each arm.

C1. wrist conditioning

Changed the order up a little and did first knuckle pushups first. I liked this, it gave me a good pump in my forearms for the rest of the exercises and I didn't have to do the hardest exercise last.

D1. shoulders

At first, I had intended on doing some shoulder stand work on the rings for a couple sets after the MU transition work, but I very underestimated how hard a shoulder stand is on the rings. I might have to build some parallettes if I wanna start training that.

Also, when attempting to shoulder stand on the rings, I noticed a clicking in my left shoulder, sort of where the scapula meets the shoulder and the upper chest, when I was pressing into a ring support. It didn't really hurt, but it wasn't comfortable, so its something I'll be keeping an eye on.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
Hunter Laing

Thu 10-3-13
MUi1h10
cort4

am - BASa2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. false grip chins (chest to rings) / 31x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2
A2. rto dips / 31x1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

So I made progress in both exercises. The false grip chins felt really strong for the first couple sets. I was again focusing on retracting and depressing my scaps, and using my lats to pull. The sets that I didn't have as much focus on these things felt much weaker.

RTO dips are tough, and I started leaning forward a little to make them harder. I could hear some clicking in my left shoulder, around the same place that I got that weird click/feeling yesterday, but there was no sensation today, so I'm not too worried.

B1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 5# x 5 x 10 each arm

I am actually more excited about these today than the progress on my fg chins and rto dips, because I think I have finally figured out how the movement is supposed to work and where I am supposed to feel it. I started with my shoulder in deep internal rotation, then retracted my scapula and squeezed the db up with the muscle underneath my shoulder. I got a really good burn in that muscle on both sides, so I'll keep doing them this way as long as I dont start experiencing any pain.

C1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. 5x3 snatch off blocks (power position)
75 x 3 x 3
85 x 3
95 x 3
100 x 2 x 3 PR
100 x 2*
95 x 2 x 3

*did that weird, right foot toe landing thing on the third rep, fuck...

Early reps on this felt really solid. I was focused on using my lats to sweep the bar into my hips, and I was getting under the bar really quickly. I starting thinking about something I've started calling the "chinese slap drill" that a weightlifter who was passing through my gym taught me. Its hard to explain through text, but basically you stand in the power position, slap your thighs, and by the time you hear the slap you should be in the bottom of a squat with your hands over your head (herehere, not here here). The point of the drill is to show you how fast you really need to pull yourself under the bar right after you explode it up from the hips.

Last time I did these, I used 95#, and according to my notebook I was all over the place with my form, catching some reps high and not being able to get into the hole on some, so I was happy to get 95# with comfortable form.

B1. 5x3 clean off blocks (power pos)
110 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 3
145 x 5 x 3 PR

By this point in the workout I didn't really have my head in it anymore. There are just so many dumb ass people at my gym after 8 o'clock, like people walking right behind me or in front of me right before a rep, or standing in my line of sight after I asked them not to, that I started to get frustrated. So my form on these wasn't as good as it could have been, but still, its a PR.

C1. ankle mob
C2. pistol switch - 15# x 3 x 10 sec each leg

D1. knee series

Skipped the super squat hip sequence today as a little experiment to see how I feel tomorrow morning during my OLY session.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
Hunter Laing

Fri 10-4-13
MUi1h10
cort4

am - OLY

joints
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. snatch technical 1RM
75 x 3 x 1
85 x 1
95 x 1
105 x 1
115 x 1
125 x 1
130 x miss

There was a severe lack of aggression on all these reps today, but that was because I was focusing on form above everything else. My main cues were: "slow to knees", "sweep with lats", "elbows high and outside", and "herehere" from the chinese slap drill. Pretty much everything up to 130 just flew up, but 130 was a miss because I didn't get under fast enough.

B1. clean technical 1RM
95 x 2 x 1
115 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 1
155 x 1
165 x 1
175 x 1
185 x 1
190 x 1 PR

Today was a good day for cleans. I was extremely calm going into them, like I was during all my snatches, but as the weight got heavier I had to get more aggressive. I think this aggressiveness was successful on cleans because I am more confident that I can get under the bar without missing.

I think the key to being aggressive on the oly lifts, and this is based pretty much only on evidence from today so far, is to keep the mind clear and focused on the technique until the moment you pull the bar from the floor. At that moment, you need to think about aggression and nothing else. I'll continue to explore with this mindset during the next weeks and see if it pays of in some new PRs.

C1. HBBS
b x 5
95 x 5
145 x 2 x 5
170 x 3 x 5

Felt good. Focused on not moving my knees to far in and on keeping my weight on the center of my foot more towards the heel. Knees felt good after these.

D1. Front Squat
b x 5
120 x 4 x 5

Also felt good. These were all nice and fast.

Had to skip some prefab/cooldown stuff again today, because I got rushed out of town again for a friends birthday. These past two weekends have really cut into my recovery, so next weekend I will make it a point to get some good sleep and eat my usual amount of quality food.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #27
Hunter Laing

Mon 10-7-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - BASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

Added band resistance to the scap pushups, and added some hanging depression/retraction work at the end. I'll keep with this for a while and see if I see any differences.

A1. fg chins (chest to rings) / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3
A2. rto dips / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3

FG chins felt good today, I actually think I pulled the first couple sets higher than I usually do. Although some of the last reps did feel a little weaker than I remember from last BASa session. I was also having trouble focusing on pulling with my lats...dunno whats up with that.

RTO dips went fine. I started trying to keep my body tighter as I lean forward, and was focused on trying to keep the rings turned out 90* to the front for the whole rep instead of just at the bottom.

B1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 5# x 3 x 10 each side

Was only supposed to do 2 sets but whatever. These were kind of frustrating today, as I felt them really well on my right side, but not so much on my left. I think it was a lack of retraction on my left side,but I'm not really sure...

C1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - OLY

joints
ankles
squat mob
AM bar

A1. 3RM pause (3 sec below knee) snatch *all weights in kilos
b x 3
30 x 3 x 3
40 x 3
44 x 3
45 x 3
47 x miss
47 x 3 PR
48 x 2+miss
48 x 3 PR

So today I got to work in a gym with bumpers and real platforms, where people arent scared of the noise from dropping weights, and it was awesome. I'll be working here for at least the next month, as the fee is much pricier than my other gym is, so we'll see at the end of the month if I want to continue.

Most of these reps felt pretty strong, but I think I was getting pulled a little forward during the pause below the knees. I was also not getting my elbows up and out enough on some reps.

B1. 2 x 1 @ 90% / 2 x 1 @ 95% / 1 x 1 @ 100%
43 x 2 x 1
46 x 2 x 1
48 x 1

These all felt really good. I started trying to stay more upright during the pause below the knees by moving my knees sideways, and therefore out of the path of the bar, and this resulted in some pretty good looking reps. Also, after my shaky 3rm at 48, one of the coaches advised me to try to turn my elbow pits up during the lockout of the snatch and try to feel my lats working, and this made my overhead position much stronger.

C1. 3x5 RBSNDL
44 x 3 x 5

D1. ankle mob x 3

E1. knee series

Forgot to do my super squat hip mob because I had to discuss membership with the gym owner before leaving, but I didn't seem to lose much mobility in the bottom of the squat when i didn't do it last time so I think I'm ok, although I will continue to do it before and after sessions as today my right hip was feeling pretty tight.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #28
Hunter Laing

10-8-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps
shoulders-front

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
A2. weighted shoulder plank - 15# x 3 x 20 sec

Both felt ok. Started to cramp a little in the abzzzz.

B1. HS toe take offs - 3 x 5

These were feeling pretty good today, and I got a couple strong ~5 sec holds. I might start taking both feet off the wall at the same time, because sometimes I pull one leg too far and it throws off my body line.

C1. HS heel pulls - 3 x 5

These also went pretty well, and I had some really strong holds. I need to remember to put my hands a lot closer to the wall than I think I need to because it results in a better body line that has my feet stacked over my hands instead of slightly in front.

D1, wrist conditioning

E1. shoulders-back

Tried my shoulder prehab routine facing the opposite direction, and it felt really good. I'll keep this in the rotation for a while.

________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. 2RM pause (3 sec below knee) clean
40 x 2 x 2
60 x 2
64 x 2
66 x 2
68 x 2
70 x 2 PR
71 x 2 PR
72 x 2 PR

These were feeling pretty good today, although my bottom position wasn't feeling as comfortable as usual. 72 kilos is about 158#, and my previous PR on this was 150# so thats pretty good. Also, tweaked my left knee on one of the warmup sets at 40, and I'm not really sure how...

B1. HBBS
b x 5
40 x 5
62 x 5
66 x 5
72 x 5
77 x 5

These were ok today. Again, my bottom position wasn't feeling super comfortable and my left knee was feeling a little sore from tweaking it during cleans, but these were pretty easy,

C1. FS
b x 10
51 x 5
55 x 5
59 x 2 x 5

These were also easy, and my bottom position was feeling more comfortable.

D1. ankle mob
D2. shrimp - back knee x 3 x 5 each leg
D3. gh raise - 3 x 5 w/ 5 sec dcc

Got to use a real ghd instead of hooking my legs under the pulldown machine, and I can actually do gh raises on it. Got a nice cramped pump in my hamstrings during these.

I need to be doing this after every session. My bottom position feels a lot better when I do.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
Hunter Laing

Wed 10-9-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - SAS1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

Started to really feel my SA during the banded scap pushups and whippets, which I'm pretty excited about.

A1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 10 x 7 sec
A2. lower to adv tuck front lever hold w/ parallel grip - 10 x 7 sec

Tuck planches felt strong today. I just need to remember to look forward and not down to keep my scaps depressed. I did all sets today with the sort of inward (very very little) rotation of my hands and it felt solid and didn't strain my wrists.

Front lever holds felt awesome today, and I think I am starting to understand the proper body position necessary to hold a full one,even though I don't have the strength yet. I did all my holds with a parallel grip instead of on a straight bar, and I think this made my retraction and depression a lot stronger for a couple reasons: 1) the parallel handles on my pullup bar are just about shoulder width, while the straight bar portion is outside shoulder width, and I think that having my arms closer to shoulder width makes me able to pull my shoulders back and down harder, and 2) the parallel grip lets me more easily externally rotate my shoulders, also leading to stronger retraction and depression. Also during some sets, I hit a really good body position, with my lower back flat, hips tucked up slightly, but still extending my legs past perpendicular with my torso, and on these sets I could really feel my abs working to hold the position. I will be aiming to feel this ab contraction on all sets from now on.

B1. lower to adv tuck back lever hold to german hang pull - 3 sec BL/5 sec GH x 5 x 3

On these, I lowered to a 3 sec adv tuck BL, then lowered to a 5 sec german hang, then pulled out to an inverted hang for 3 reps each set. I was struggling with my grip by the end, and was really feeling this all around my elbows, in forearms, biceps, and triceps, in a good way. Very solid elbow conditioning.

C1. YTWL's - 2#s x 5 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - BASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. toe assisted MU transition / 41X1 - rings at top of bridge of nose x 8 x 4

These were feeling a little off at the start, but got better as the sets went on. I played with my grip a lot, because I noticed that if I actually rest my wrists on the rings then my hands aren't in a goof position to dip afterwards. I ended up starting in a support position to get my hands in the right spot, and then using that grip for the transitions.

B1. seated db ext rot / 40X0 - 10# x 3 x 6 each arm

Felt good. I was feeling these on both arms today.

C1. shoulders - back/front
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #30
Hunter Laing

Thu 10-10-13
MUi2h11
cort5

am - BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. FG chins (chest to rings) / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2*, 3, 2 ,2
A2. RTO dips / 31X1 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

*missed chest on 3rd rep

So same basic stuff today on FG chins, focusing on hard retraction, depression, and using lats to pull. I think I need to focus a little more on depression though, because some reps weren't depressed and weren't as strong. Also, I would like to feel my lats more, so that something I'll be working on too.

RTO dips felt good today. I really focused on keeping the rings turned out to at least 30* for the entire rep and not letting them come to parallel as I was pushing up. This started getting pretty tough in the later sets. I also started thinking about keeping my elbows close to my body and driving them towards the ceiling during the decent. This kept lean to a minimum, but I dont think I'm really ready to start leaned RTO dips until I can get the rings out to 45* for the whole rep.

B1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 5.5# x 5 x 10 each side

Bumped the weight up a little. Most of these felt good, but I was losing focus on later sets.

C1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
squat mob
stick stuff
AM bar

A1. 5x3 snatch off blocks (above knee)
30 x 3
40 x 3
43 x 3
45 x 3
47 x 5 x 3 PR

These were feeling pretty fast today. I was focused on staying on my heels, both on the pull and on the catch, and on getting my bows up and outside. On the third set, I lost my focus on the third rep and power snatched it, but immediately redid the rep and made it.

B1. 5x2 clean off blocks (above knee)
40 x 2 x 2
50 x 2
55 x 2
60 x 2
65 x 2
70 x 5 x 2 PR

Huge PR here. Last time I did these I went 145# for 5x2, and 70 kilos = 154# so this is a pretty big increase in weight. All reps were also really easy, and I had no problems getting under the bar or standing up with it. My knees were also feeling really good during these, when sometimes during cleans they get a little iffy.

C1. super squat hip sequence

Rolled out my quads, IT bands, hamstrings, and glutes before doing this. Felt goooooood.

D1. knee series

Felt really easy today. I think my knees are starting to get more resilient.

E1. ankle mob
E2. pistol switch - 15# x 1 x 10 sec each side

I tried to do the pistol switches with a 15# medicine ball, but it was really awkward, so I just called it for the day.