Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Nico Corea

Default New Lifter, Snatch Critique

Hello, everyone. Here's another Crossfitter that has fallen in love with the O-lifts, particularly the snatch. Apart from the O-lifting introduction I got in my CrossFit on-ramp course, I'm self-taught, practicing the lifts in my garage a few times per week for the past month or so. My primary reference is Mr. Everett's book (Olympic Lifting, A Complete Guide for Athlete's and Coaches) and the accompanying DVD; they are first rate materials and I think they have helped my lifts immensely.

Anyway, here is a video of what I thought were my three best snatches from today's session. I'd really appreciate any critique, advice, etc.

PS, I'm blown away by Catalyst and all they do. The book, the articles, the daily video of the training, the upcoming documentary, this forum, the recent Barbell Shrugged and Weightlifting Talk interviews, etc., etc. I just found out about Performance Menu too; my only hesitation to subscribing is that I'll get absolutely NOTHING done at work if I have that treasure trove of material to peruse... THANKS!
Nico Corea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

Hi Nico,

It looks like you have a very good understanding of the lifts! It seems like you have been doing your homework.

I'd say the third Snatch was the best one. But with all of them, the main issue I can identify is that you just need to be more aggressive with your extension. Keep the bar close and aggressively drive up with the legs.

I noticed, on the first one, that you were a little unstable in the bottom position. I recommend holding the bottom position of any Snatches/Snatch Balances/OHS for 2-3 seconds before standing so you can build that comfort level.

Also, it looks like you could keep your chest up a little more on that 1st pull. It's very slight, but when the weight gets heavier and heavier it could completely throw off the lift.

By the way, we appreciate your support! Greg probably wouldn't want you to get fired for not doing your job at work so I'm sure there's no hard feelings about the Performance Menu.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Nico Corea

Thank you very much for your critique, Blake!

Yes, the aggressiveness of my hip extension is one of the things I've been trying to improve (others have mentioned it, too). But something you wrote made it occur to me that I may not exactly understand what that means. Before I thought it meant driving my pelvis further forward and up under the bar, sort of like undercutting the bar with my pelvis. But you wrote to keep the bar close and drive aggressively up with the legs. That makes me think I need to focus more on leg extension. Is this two different things? I'd appreciate any clarification you may be able to offer.

You didn't mention anything about early arm bend, which is great, because that's been a big problem of mine and I've been working hard to correct it. I think I did pretty good on that respect in the first 2 snatches, but I do see a hint of it in the third snatch.

I'll definitely start holding the bottom position longer, that makes good sense.

Thanks again, and keep up all the incredible stuff you folks do for this sport!
Nico Corea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Blake Barnes

Throwing the hips forward into the bar is going to cause the bar to bump out. If you're driving upward with the legs, the bar is going to elevate making it easier to pull down under the bar.