Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Hana Medvesek

Red face Beginner video help (snatch & power clean)

Hi people,

I'm nervous about writing this, but I appreciate your work so much and I hope maybe you can help.

snatch 40 kg
power clean 50 kg

I'm 24, come from Europe and started weightlifting about 4 months ago without ever being seriously engaged in any sport in my life. Your training videos inspire me a lot. There is not much of weightlifting community in my city so it really helps.

I have a coach, and I've certainly had progress. What bothers me though, especially on my power clean (which feels very awkward), is whether the technique is acceptable for a beginner like me or not? I mean, i've been adding weights but I've come to a point where I struggle, and I'm wondering if i should move back and work on something specific before trying to add weights again, or is it safe at this stage to simply keep trying to load the bar and let the technique develop on its own?

i havent tested max in a long time so this is only additional info that i have:
snatch pr 45kg
clean 55 kg
front squat 55x3
back squat 70x2

Any thoughts would be really really appreciated. I feel lost and somewhat discouraged right now
Hana Medvesek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

First, this is a good start - you're not horribly off with anything.

In the snatch, wait longer to initiate the second pull - in other words, get the bar higher on the thigh before you start opening the hips. Bring the bar back toward your hips as you finish extending, and keep bringing it back into the overhead position as you pull under rather than leaning forward to get under it.

Same thing on the power clean - wait longer to explode, stay flat-footed longer, and open the hips more at the top of the extension (finish with your shoulders slightly behind your hips).

On the jerk, reach the front foot a little farther forward, but mainly keep a little more weight on the back foot - the front foot is hitting the floor first, when it should hit after the back foot very slightly. More aggressive punch with the arms as well - punch your palms up through the bar, squeeze your shoulder blades and elbows overhead.

I think you have above-average beginner technique. The basics are there, and now you just need time and patience to refine them.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Hana Medvesek

Thank you so much for the tips and the encouragement. It really means alot, especially when you are experiencing first beginner frustrations and doubts.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

No problem. Keep checking in periodically so we can see how you're progressing.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Hana Medvesek

Good and bad things happened, and so I need help again.

I hit a 50 kg snatch, which i wasn't even expecting.

But with it, a really bad jump forward came out very clearly. It is one of my habits to jump forward sometimes. But I wonder if I will soon lose progress if I continue to do it. My coach on the other hand, thinks the lift was just fine so im confused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nKw1Sg6bmo

Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

A few things:

1, Past the knees, you're moving forward into the bar - instead, continue trying to move the bar back toward yourself.

2. Stay flat-footed during the pull as long as possible (ideally until the bar is at your hip) - this is related to #1

3. Drive against the floor with your legs longer - until you're done extending your hips fully. This will help prevent the forward movement as well.

4. You're swinging the bar forward, which magnifies the forward imbalance you already have from the pull.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 12-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Hana Medvesek

Thank you master.

Will report when I pr bigger again after a long frustrating winter of trying to fix this
Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Greg Everett
Administrator

two simple things to try to make the correction simpler:

1. stick a piece of 1/2" rubber mat in front of your toes when you start. Initially, set it a few inches forward, then gradually move it closer until it's nearly touching your toes where you start.

2. Try to jump backward 1/4" when you snatch.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 10-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Hana Medvesek

Smile

Hello,
I would like to let you know that I made it through my first competiton. I was so scared I completely lost all my senses. I failed my two opening snatches at 50kg. But finally made the last one. I consider it a personal victory under such pressure I did all my cleans 55/60/61 (PR). @ 62 kg bodyweight. I am satisfied but I really hope to come back with a stonger mind, and body, next time.
Thank you once again for supporting me!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
Blake Barnes

Congratulations on the PR at your first meet. The first one is always the toughest one.