Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #51
Hunter Laing

Mon 11-25-13
phase1-accumulation

am - BAS1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ring chins / 31x1 - 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3
A2. DFD pushups / 31x1 - 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Feeling pretty weak today, but I expected that. Ring chins went ok, but I was having some trouble retracting and depressing to initiate the movement, especially on my left side. One thing I need to remember when doing my chins is to pull my elbows down in front of my body and not to the sides. I feel my lats better when I pull to the front and have more control at the top of the movement. DFD pushups were feeling good, and I started putting most of my weight over my hands instead of my feet. I also put some thin wood boards under my hands so I can grip harder than I can on carpet, and I put a thicker board under my feet, both to increase the angle slightly and too makes sure I was keeping the distance between my hands and feet constant throughout the sets.

B1. muscle up / 10 min for max singles - 1, 1, f, f, f

So, the first muscle up I did today was extremely slow, which is good because I haven't really done a solid slow MU before. But the next one was slower, and much uglier, and after that I didn't feel like I was executing the technique right. Next BAS session I'll be doing slow ecc MU to try and build some strength through the transition.

C1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 4 x 10 each arm

I was going to do 5x10, but I think my external rotators tired out a little too much for that, because I felt them working hard through the first three sets, but didn't feel them in the fourth set on either side and felt it more in my anterior shoulder area, so I called it quits.

D1. tuck 90-90 iso chin hang - 3 x 20 sec

These felt good, and I was shaking by the end of all 3 sets. I focused on the retraction and depression of my shoulders and on using my lats to hold me in the position.

______

pm - EQ1/BAS2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

The straddle warmup I did today, and will probably do for a while, started with weighted butterfly's for 10, then straddle circles for 10 reps each direction, and ended with elevated weighted pancake good mornings.

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
A2. active pigeon stretch - 3 x 5 each side

B1. front body line drill - 3 x 10 sec
B2. one leg good morning - 3 x 5 each side

C1. HS body line wall drill - 3 x 15 sec
C2. shinbox hip lift - 3 x 5 each side

I started using a wood board under my hands on these, like with the DFD pushups this morning, and I feel like it made my body line a lot better. I'm sure it will make my off the wall holds better when I get back to em.

D1. elevated bridge hold - 3 x 15 sec
D2. elevated straddle up - 3 x 5

Focused on getting my shoulders above my hands on the bridges. I did the straddle ups off of this table box thing in my basement, but I need something lower for next time.

E1. seated muscle up - 15 x 1 every 1:30

It felt really good to get all 15 reps on this, as I thought that I was maybe losing my MU ability after the last two sessions. I need to strengthen up my wrists a little after so much time off; they were a little uncomfortable in the FG today.

F1. band retraction - p90x red x 4 x 10

I decided to add these to my BAS days since I've been having some trouble retracting and depressing.

G1. wrist conditioning
Hunter Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #52
Hunter Laing

Tue 11-26-13
phase1-accumulation

am - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

A1. back body line drill - 4 x 20 sec
A2. active pigeon stretch - 4 x 5 each side

B1. front body line drill - 4 x 10 sec

C1. HS body line wall drill - 5 x 15 sec
C2. shinbox hip lift - 5 x 5 each side

D1. undergrip dislocates - 4 x 10

E1. active pullup iso hang - 3 x 20 sec
Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #53
Hunter Laing

Wed 11-27-13
phase1-accumulation

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted half press HS - straddle x 4 x 3, tuck x 1 x 3
A2. lower to adv tuck FL hold - 5 x 15 sec

So the press HS work went really well for the first couple sets. I was getting my legs below parallel with the ground and was pushing through my shoulders well. On the third set I started to feel my scap strength give a little, and on the fourth set, on the last rep, I think I hit complete scapular failure on the left side and ended up falling trying to press back up so I went to tuck for the last set.

FL wasn't feeling so hot today. I didn't feel like I had good scap position and I was holding all the sets slightly above parallel. I started on the rings for the first 4 sets, but moved to the bar for the 5th, and I like the bar better for now.

B1. planche lean - 5 x 15 sec
B2. k2e - 5 x 10

Planche leans were ok today. My main focus was on keeping protracted and on keeping my elbow pits pointed as far forward as possible, but I struggled with that a lot on my left side. I tried a bunch of different hand placements: hands forward, sideways, in between, and on dumbbells, and I think I'm going to make some parallettes this week and try using that next time.

K2E were pretty easy. I kept my shoulders active the whole time and it made the move a lot easier.

C1. YTWL's - 2#s x 5 x 5
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #54
Hunter Laing

Thu 11-28-13
phase1-accumulation

am - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

Forgot to do the straddle warmup...

A1. RTO support - 5 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pull - 5 x 8

B1. L sit - 3 x 15 sec
B2. skin the cat - 3 x 3

C1. wall HS trap 3 raise - 4 x 5

Time to eat some turkey.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #55
Hunter Laing

Mon 12-2-13
ph1a-wk1

am - EQ/BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

A1. back body line drill - 2 x 20 sec
A2. active pigeon stretch - 2 x 5 each side

Back body line drills felt good today. I think I've been rounding my shoulders slightly while trying to get hollow, which I didn't do today, and I achieved a much straighter body line. Pigeons are getting a lot more comfortable on both sides.

B1. front body line drill - 2 x 15 sec
B2. one leg GM - 2 x 5 each side

Front body lines were ok today, but one leg GMs were feeling pretty good. I think I only lost my balance once on each side.

C2. shinbox hip raise - 3 x 5 each side

HS body lines looked really good today. I just need to get my hands slightly closer to the wall so I feel the pressure more on my fingers than my palms. Shinbox raises are a little awkward with my right leg forward, but were feeling better by the third set.

D1. elevated back bridge hold - 3 x 15 sec

Back bridges felt good today. I felt very little pressure on my lower back, although I felt some in my mid and upper back as I tried to get my shoulders to stack over my hands. Straddle ups felt good today, and I lowered to using a guitar case instead of the coffee table. I'll be doing em off the ground soon enough!

E1. seated MU - 1 rep w/ slow ecc every 1:30 x 15

These were ok today. It's been a while and the skin on my wrists has been deconditioned slightly, so I have some tears on both wrists. The ecc MU transitions felt great today. This is the first time I have ever felt like I have had real control over how slow I go from over the rings to under them. I'll be taking :10 off next time I do these.

F1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 10 each side

Got all 5 sets in today, although the ending sets I felt more in my shoulders than I usually do.

______

pm - BASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ground row / 30x0 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5
A2. DFD pushup / 31x0 - 6, 6, 5, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6, 4

Ground rows were pretty good. Focused on hard retraction and depression, but also on making a more seamless transition to the actual row instead of setting scaps for a moment and then pulling. I also worked on pulling as hard and as explosively as possible. DFD pushups went ok. As with the rows, I started trying to push as explosively as possible on these reps. It made some sets easier, but I was also getting slightly out of the position that I wanted to be in.

B1. MU transition ecc from bottom of dip + FG chin dcc / 4000 + 4000 - 5 x 2

These were feeling pretty good. The ecc MU transitions were pretty strong, and I was controlling them well. I actually felt these most in my palms, which are torn up and a little bruised right now, so I think I will have even better control once my hands adapt to MU work again.

C1. band retraction - red cord x 5 x 10

Makes my shoulders feel goooood.

D1. wrist conditioning

E1. tuck 90-90 iso chin hang - 3 x 20 sec

This was getting tough by the end. I was focused on keeping my scape retraction and depressed and on keeping my knees at parallel.

It felt really good today to finally eat right and get in both sessions I had planned. Hopefully I'll be back on this schedule for a good while.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #56
Hunter Laing

Tue 12-3-13
ph1a-wk1

am - EQ2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
A2. active pigeon stretch - 3 x 5 each side

B1. front body line drill - 3 x 10 sec

C1. HS body line wall drill - 5 x 15 sec
C2. shinbox hip lift - 5 x 5 each side

Was gunna do 5 sets but my left knee started bothering me during the straddle ups in the same place it was while I was oly lifting, so I eased off.

E1. undergrip dislocates - 5 x 10
Old 12-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #57
Hunter Laing

Wed 12-4-13
ph1a-wk1

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

This straddle warmup is working pretty well, as I'm actually seeing a lot of improvement already in my straddle/pancake flexibility.

A1. wall assisted half straddle press HS - 5 x 3
A2. adv tuck FL hold - 5 x 15 sec

The straddle HS press work went really well today. I got my legs to parallel with the ground on every rep, and I didn't lose my scapular control on any reps. One thing I need to work on is lowering my legs evenly, because my left leg goes down a little farther than my right. FL work was meh, didn't feel great but didn't feel bad either.

B1. planche lean - 5 x 12 sec
B2. k2e - 5 x 10

Planche leans felt pretty good today. I used planks of wood under my hands and turned my hands sideways, and I feel like that really helped me achieve a better position. My protraction was very strong, although on later sets I started piking at the hips.

C1. YTWLs - 5 x 5

______

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. rto support - 6 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pull - 6 x 8

Accidentally did 6 sets...

B1. bent leg straddle L hold - 4 x 15 sec
B2. skin the cat - 4 x 3

C1. wall HS trap 3 press - 4 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning
Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #58
Hunter Laing

Thu 12-5-13
ph1a-wk1

am - EQ/BASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

B1. front body line drill - 2 x 15 sec

E1. seated MU - 1 rep w/ slow ecc every 1:20 x 6

These went pretty well today considering my left wrist is still chewed up from monday.

F1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 10 each side

No tempo on these today. I'm using that as my deload variation so I get the same volume rep-wise, but TUT is much lower.

_______

pm - BASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ground rows / 31x1 - 6, 8, 5 ,5 ,5 ,4 ,4 ,4 ,4 ,4
A2. DFD pushups / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Added the pause back in at the top and bottom of both movements. I feel like it makes me perform them with more control and it's easier to determine, on the rows, if I should count a rep or not as I start to fatigue.

B1. MU transition ecc from bottom of dip + FG chin dcc / 4000 + 4000 - 5 x 2

Felt strong on these. Hopefully soon I can start working MU transition concentrics too.

C1. band retraction - red cord x 5 x 10

D1. wrist conditioning
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #59
Hunter Laing

Sat 12-7-13
ph1a-wk1

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. wall assisted half straddle press HS - 5 x 3
A2. adv tuck FL hold - 5 x 15 sec

Both of these felt really good today. I think next SASa session I will try going for 5x4 on the HS press work.

B1. planche lean - 5 x 15 sec
B2. k2e - 5 x 10

I changed my hand position to a more forward one, and it felt a lot more comfortable on my forearms. I need to work on my thumb flexibility a little more so I can get them flat on the ground instead of kinda on the side.

C1. YTWL's - 2#s x 5 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pull - 5 x 8

B1. low straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. skin the cat - 5 x 3

C1. wall HS trap 3 press - 5 x 5

D1. wrist conditioning
Old 12-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #60
Hunter Laing

Mon 12-9-13
ph1a-wk2

am - EQ/BASa2

joints
wrist stretches
straddle
shoulders-front

B1. front body line drill - 2 x 20 sec

I felt like my position on the HS body line wall drill was really good today. My wrists were really close to the wall and I felt like I was getting really good extension while still keeping my rips pulled in.

E1. seated MU - 1 rep w/ slow ecc every 1:10 x 15

Felt good. After I hit 15 at 1:00 intervals I am going to start adding reps.

F1. seated db ext rot / 4020 - 5# x 5 x 10 each side

Felt these really well on both sides.

G1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - BASb(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. ground row / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 5
A2. DFD pushup / 31x1 - 6, 6, 5 ,6

B1. MU ecc + FG chin ecc / 4000 + 4000 - 2 x 2

Felt good today. Very controlled, but I need to keep my left SA more active.

C1. band retraction - red cord x 2 x 10

D1. wrist conditioning