Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Vythand Alagappan

Default Vythand's Training Log

Hi! My name is Vythand. I started strength and conditioning in junior year of high school. I was introduced to weightlifting in senior year by one of my teachers, who trained me to compete in the high school power clean championships in Las Vegas. The meet didn't go as well as I had hoped, but I became tremendously interested in the sport and have been thirsty to learn more ever since. I'm almost 20 years old and I have my sights set on the 2017 Crossfit Games. I still have quite a ways to go before I'm ready though. After I graduated from high school, I began coaching myself and although I've learned quite a bit about training over the past year and a half or so, I've also been met by a severe case of paralysis by analysis.

2013 was a huge waste of time as far as training goes, I bounced from program to program thinking that I would find the Holy Grail. It doesn't exist. It took me a whole year to figure that out. But it doesn't, so if you're someone who is looking for that "one special program" stop right now, the best program is the one you stick to. So that aside, I've decided to change that in 2014. I am going to stick to a program and that is where this forum comes into play. I've realized that I've never stuck to a training cycle for more than 7 weeks, and that simply won't cut it. I've decided that I'm going to post my progress on here so that I don't jump ship anymore.

The program that I'm committing to stick to for one full year is the double day squat cycle. Each cycle would be 13 weeks, so I'll be able to get through four full cycles. I picked this cycle because I respond very well to high volume, high intensity programs. And because it just looks like a lot of fun. The last time I stuck to a program like that and made sure to get all my macros my squat went from 235 to 285 in about 5 weeks at a bodyweight of 140 pounds, 5'11". Which brings me to my other big goal. I NEED to gain some serious weight. I am currently sitting at 145 and again, that simply won't cut it. I need to be at least 190 to be competitive. So along with sticking to the program, I am also going to monitor my macros and try to get as close to 190 as I can in 2014. I'm not going to do much conditioning for now other than the stuff that is listed in the program by Coach Everett, but I will do a lot of skill work to make sure that when 2015 rolls around I'll be stronger and more efficient. Based on where I am at the end of 2014, I'll decide if I should begin to have more of a Crossfit focus on my training, or continue to get my numbers up by solely focusing on weightlifting.

I am going to start the first cycle on Thursday, December 26 (I start cycles on Thursday so that I can train at home Friday through Sunday, instead of at college where they yell at you for dropping weights... even though they have bumpers and platforms...).

Here are my goals for 2014:
1. Obviously, first and foremost, stick with the program for all of 2014.
2. Prioritize getting 8 hours of sleep every night for all of 2014.
3. Eat my daily macros - with the main goal being to gain a pound per week for all of 2014.
4. Spend at least 30 minutes on mobility per day.
5. I don't really have specific numbers set in my mind for lifts because I don't know how ambitious I can be since I will also be gaining weight at the same time. Ideally my squat would be at or near 400 pounds, snatch would be 225+, clean and jerk would be 300+. So as far as numbers go, I'm not going to list anything right now. As long as I stick to goals 1-4 and train as hard as possible, I'm sure I'll be happy with the numbers at the end of the year.

Currently my numbers are:
Snatch - 155
Clean & Jerk - 195
Front Squat - 210
Back Squat - 230

As you can see, some of my numbers have gone down (such as the squat), and none of them are impressive by any means, so I'm super excited to get those numbers up to something that is actually respectable in 2014. I'll try to post videos whenever possible, and I hope that I will be able to get feedback on my technique. I hope you'll join me in this journey. Thanks for reading and I'll begin posting my progress on Thursday! Happy Holidays!

~Vythand Alagappan
Vythand Alagappan is offline   Reply With Quote