Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Vythand Alagappan

Default Enough bs, back to training.

Front Squat - heavy single
95x5 115x4 135x4 155x2 165x1
Notes: Probably could have gone a little bit heavier but decided to stop while my form was still good. I was happy with those squats.

Snatch - heavy single; 3 x 2
95x3 105x2 115x1 125x1 130x1 115x2(f2ndrep technique mishap) 115x2 (f2nd rep again) technique was all over the board so I decided to go back down to 95 to clean things up, hit two sets there but I still wasn't happy with the technique. I was making some fundamental errors like not being patient enough, not actively pushing up and externally rotating on the catch, and just some weird timing errors. I am going to do some empty barbell technique work at the beginning of the second session.

2nd session:
Snatch technique notes: My receiving position is fastest and most comfortable when I am slightly internally rotated. With my hands all the way out to the collars it is rough on my wrists if I try to really force external rotation. I am also able to keep my arms more relaxed during the pull when I have a more natural overhead position. When I am consciously trying to externally rotate at the top it reduces my turnover speed and causes me to hyper extend my wrists. My shoulders still feel very stable in this position so hopefully it's not a problem that I'm not externally rotating.

Segment Snatch Pull (knee) + Snatch pull - 5 x 1+2
115x1+2, 135x1+2, 155x1+2, 165x1+2x2, 155x1+2, 165x1+2x2 (had to use straps for these last two sets)
Notes: I suck at using straps hahah my hands kept slipping

Back Squat - heavy single; 4 x 3
115x5, 135x4, 155x3, 165x2, 185x1, 155x3x4
Notes: Could have gone heavier but since it's been a week since I've done anything too heavy I decided to play it conservatively. I don't know if that was the right call or not, but it seemed correct in the moment.

Good Morning - 3 x 5
ran out of time so I just did 15 in a set at 45, oops

Today was really fun, especially the second session. I never really realized how much I enjoy snatch technique work. I stayed relatively lightish on most things, where I could have pushed a bit more but my technique probably would have suffered or I would have been much slower. Overall today was a good session.

I've been really attacking mobility over the past week and it definitely helped today. I think I had actually grown a bit accustomed to being a bit tighter so that may have been part of the issues with snatching in the first session, my body just wasn't used to moving the way it did today.

Sleep has been good, but I'm still trying to hammer down the nutrition.
Vythand Alagappan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
Vythand Alagappan

Default 011014 training

Week 1, day 2
Did this yesterday but didn't have a chance to type it up.

Back Squat - heavy single
135x5, 145x5, 165x3, 185x2, 205x1

High-Hang Snatch - 5 x 2
Warm up with bar 55x2 65x2 75x2 65x2x4

Power Clean + Power Jerk = 5 x 2+1
95x2+1, 115x2+1x5
Notes: I am very limited by overhead strength. 115 power cleans were extremely easy but the power jerk felt harder.

Front Squat - heavy single; 3 x 3
135x4 165x2 185x1 145x3x3

Sleep was good, mobility work was good, nutrition continues to be the biggest challenge for me.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Vythand Alagappan

Default Another lesson in leaving my ego at the door: Knowing when to stop

Week 1, day 3

Front Squat - heavy single
115x4, 125x4, 135x3, 145x3, 155x2, 165x1
Notes: Joints are feeling a little beat up so I'm backing off a bit to give them a chance to become conditioned. Went in smaller incremental jumps between sets than usual (10 pound jumps instead of 20 pound jumps) so that I could accumulate more reps at a lighter weight. That way even if I didn't lift anything too heavy I still had a decent number of reps under my belt. One thing that I did today that I need to make sure to avoid in the future was letting my elbow drop slightly when coming back up of the squat. I think that is mainly because my upper body is pretty weak right now. I think I'm going to start adding some back work 1 or 2 days a week at the end to work on that weakness.

Clean & Jerk - heavy single; 3 x 2+1
115X2+2, 125x2+2 135x1 145x1 155x1 165x1(failed the jerk, the clean was surprisingly difficult also) 135x2+1x3(based this on how the 155 felt)

Based on how I was feeling and how I was moving I decided to take it easy today. I didn't want to stop early but based on how I'm feeling and due to the nature of this program I decided that listening to my body and swallowing my pride was the way to go. It doesn't matter if I get through everything today if I just end up injured anyway. And yes, I know that picking this program as my first one back into weightlifting was not smart haha which is why I'm giving myself the freedom to call it quits when my body tells me to. Got some pretty good squat and clean and jerks in so today wasn't a complete loss, but definitely not ideal. I did this session too late in the day to be able to try again for another session. I'm really annoyed right now... not gonna lie.
It is quite frustrating to not even be able to get through a session because of how unconditioned I am, but I know that once I get through this cycle, as long as I am smart and don't get injured, my second time through the cycle I will be able to push the weight a lot more. I think things will start being fun again once I feel strong again. That's the most frustrating thing right now, just not being able to do the things I used to be able to. Okay rant over. Hopefully tomorrow will go better, I'm chomping at the bit to lift again.

The stuff I was supposed to do:
Segment Clean Pull (knee) + Clean Pull - 5 x 1+2
Back Squat - heavy single
Pause Back Squat - 4 x 3
Good Morning - 3 x 5
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
Vythand Alagappan

Default "Shins vertical"

I think the root cause of my knee pain is that I'm letting them come too far forward when I squat or catch which is putting a lot of strain on the meniscus. So today is going to be a skill day really focusing on keeping my shins vertical. I've seen the horrific results of poor squatting (i.e. total knee replacements) and I really don't want it to lead to issues down the line so I'm going to improve my technique now rather than later. I also want to experiment with training early in the morning (6:15) because I think that will be the most convenient thing once classes start. Also I think I am going to back off of the weight a little bit but only as much as I need to to reinforce the technique practice that I do today. Now that my mobility is good enough to support the positions that I need to get into I need to improve my motor patterns. So yes, it is a step back weight wise, but I think it will pay dividends in the long run. Hopefully by the end of this cycle my technique will be at a point that I'm happy with.

Skill work will focus on squatting motor patterns and on receiving the bar with shins vertical. Should last about an hour.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
Vythand Alagappan

Default I'm not ready yet

I hate to admit this, but I'm not ready for the volume of this program. I have had multiple days where I have had to cut back from what was prescribed. Right now I feel like I'm wasting time (not because I dont believe in the program, i will return to this program when I am conditioned for it) and potentially setting myself up for injury. Based on the past few days of my posts I think it's pretty obvious that I was in over my head in taking up this program right now. Volume has never been a problem for me I the past so I guess this just shows how out of shape I am. I am going to auto regulate for a while. The goal is still going to be to squat everyday so that I can get ready to do this cycle again. In addition I am going to spend time on fixing some technical issues in my Olympic lifts. I also need to improve my upper body strength so that will be another thing that I will work on in the coming weeks. Not having a set program will also let me have a bit more fun with training again because I won't feel as much pressure to have to do certain things even when I know I can't on that given day. The goal is still the same, but the route that I'm taking to get there is going to be altered a bit until I can get back on track with the double day squat program. I'll continue to post on here because I do find it very valuable in keeping me accountable.

Mentally, I've lost my edge. I'm not as tough as I was so that's going to be another aspect of training that I need to get back. Just to be clear though, I am not flaking on this program because I found something else or anything like what I used to do, I am calling it quits because I am simply not ready for the program. Come to think of it, I am not ready for any program right now. All I want to do is just get back in the gym. I just want to do what I feel like doing instead of what I should be doing until I feel like lifting again. The fact that I have to constantly coax myself into the gym, which was something that I used to love more than anything, is a bit of a red light for me. It's not worth doing if it's not fun. I'll be completely honest, more days than not, I'm not having fun. I'm just in there because I feel like I need to be. Going through the motions won't get me to the Games. Having the best programming in the world with no motivation is pointless. Autoregulation has worked very well for me in the past. That was the point where I was having the most fun with training so I'm going to go back to that for a while until I feel like I'm ready to actually make the commitment to a program. With where I am right now, I think just about anything that I do will get me stronger as long as I'm consistent and motivated so I'm not too hesitant to take a step back from a program. Wish me luck.