Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Matthew Bosworth

Default Snatch and CnJ Critique

I would love a critique on my Sn and CnJ.

Just to note, I can not afford bumpers.

I use blocks to keep the starting position of the bar around 9in.

Snatch(multiple weights)

CnJ(multiple weights)

Thanks in advance!!!
Matt
Matthew Bosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

Snatch-
The bar is a little too far away from your body. Try to start with the bar closer to your shins in the starting position. You can also see how the bar is several inches away from your body when you pass the knee. You're making contact which is great but you don't want that much separation at any time during the lift.

Also, it looks like your knees are a little too far forward when the bar reaches the "power position" (upper thigh). In this position, you want the shins to be vertical so try to get the knees back a little more. This will help you keep the bar closer as you pass the knee.

On the 3rd pull, try to get your elbows up higher. It looks like the bar is swinging out a bit after that 2nd pull. Try some Snatch High Pulls (http://www.catalystathletics.com/exe...?exerciseID=99) to work that part of the movement.

Clean-
It looks like you bump it out a little bit on the first one but the second one is better so look out for that. The only thing I'd like to see is more emphasis on the 3rd pull. Like the Snatch, get those elbows UP and OUT as you pull yourself under. This will also help with a more vertical bar path.

Jerk-
The main issue on the Jerk is that you need to soften up the back knee. You don't want the back leg locked out. Keep the back knee soft so that you can absorb the weight with the hips down and lowering your center of gravity.

Also with the back foot, you want the toe slightly turned in and you want to be up on the ball of the foot. So try not to land flat-footed. You can do some footwork drills before you start the exercise. For example, simply stand flat-footed with your feet in the "jump" position and quickly split out to your split position - look down and see if your position is correct.

By the way, I admire the old school set-up you have going on there. Careful you don't slip on those towels though.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Matthew Bosworth

Thank you so much for the critique.

I will apply those suggestions and repost some vids in the upcoming week.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Matthew Bosworth

Here are two more videos, trying to apply suggested technique changes

Snatch

CnJ

a critique would be much appreciated
Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Blake Barnes

Snatch-

Much better job on these. You're doing a great job keeping the bar closer on the 1st pull. Some things I noticed: the bar swings out a little bit on the 2nd and 3rd reps. That's why you almost lose it behind you. Also, it looks like you may be rolling up on the toes and little too soon when initiating the 2nd pull. Try to keep the feet flat longer as you bring the bar to the hip. Otherwise, it's a good improvement.

Clean-

Again, much better job on these. I feel like you can open up just a little bit more on the extension, but it's not a huge issue. Also try to keep your chest up on the turnover and in the bottom position.

Jerk-

The first rep was the best one. I understand it's hard to maintain these new adjustments when the weight is heavy. I would try to do some Split Push Presses and/or other exercises to help get your body use to getting into the correct position. Maybe take some light days and work on those specific things I mentioned in my first post.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Matthew Bosworth

Thanks man! More to come, I'll keep working on it.

I'm very grateful to have a place I can get critique on my lifts. I've learned them on my own, without a coach (there is none in Tallahassee, FL).
Old 01-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Blake Barnes

I'm glad to help. I don't know of anyone in or near the Tallahassee area, but there is a great benefit to having a coach work with you 1-on-1 and who is able to watch you from all angles.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
Matthew Bosworth

I would kill for a coach to work with me 1 on 1.

Since its not possible right now, what angles are usually the best for critique?

Front, 3/4, and side??