Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Jordan Dobrev

Default [Form Check] Snatch + progression tips

Hello there, this is my first post in here and I have to say I love your articles, your forum and your community as a whole. It seems to me that the weightlifting crowd is a very humble one which I really like. It makes the whole experience complete.

tl;dr: How can I improve my snatch? videos below

I'm 24/m from Bulgaria. I've recently started weightlifting (4-5 months) and I fell in love with it. It is really a fascinating sport and I'd like to spend my next few years improving my lifts.

My situation is as follows: Snatch 60kg, CnJ 75kg, Front Squat around 80kg, BS around 85 (I'm 62kg). At the moment I do everything in my power to up my squat strength (mostly 2x5, 3x5 or 4x5, 3-5 times a week) as it seems to be my weak point while I try to improve my snatch technique. I've come to a point where I've done 60kg a few times and the last 2 were really easy but then I have this technique fault that I often miss the bar in front. So I'm trying to work with lower weights but I still miss sometimes, especially at the end of my snatching.

What do you think about my technique as a whole? Any glaring issues I have to fix?
Why do I miss the bar in front, is it just focusing on shoulder stability and me getting distracted?

Also, if you think my approach to training could be improved, any advice would be greatly appreaciated.

I also appologize if the thread comes off as just 'help me with everythnig', please do tell me if it is not cool or something. It's just all these questions in my head and I'm confused.

Jordan Dobrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
Blake Barnes

Jordan,

First of all, I would have you start with your vision fixed straight ahead before you lift the bar off the floor. This will help you keep your chest up a little better as you start the lift. Your back isn't hunched over but your chest is pointed down. Think about your hips and shoulders rising at the same time so your back angle stays the same.

During the first pull of the lift, the bar should be making an angle back toward your body. Your bar path is a little too vertical. Watch the 3rd video you posted ("23.01.2014 Snatch @ 50 + fail"). You can see a slight difference between the bar path of the 1st lift and the 2nd lift. In the first lift, the bar is too vertical leaving it too far out in front of you as you go into the second pull. In the 2nd lift, you'll see that you bring the bar back a little bit. Those little mistakes will make or break a lift.

Also, I notice that you are bending the elbow before you go into the 2nd pull. This will cause a big loss of power that is being produced with the legs. Keep the arms loose all the way through the extension and let the legs do the work.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Jordan Dobrev

Thank you, Blake !
I waited a bit so I could test all of these tips and they made a huge difference. I even managed to hit a solid 65 for a new PR (bringing my snatch 10kg away from my cnj haha) which felt very nice.
Thanks again and keep it up, forum is great
Jordan Dobrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Blake Barnes

Great job!

Keep training hard.