Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Gabriel Malate

Default Snatch Critique

Hey everybody, just looking for a bit of critique on some recent video footage. After focusing on powerlifting for the past few months, I am once again looking towards getting started in weightlifting. Any advice is appreciated!

Link incase embed doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRdZj...re=c4-overview

Last edited by Greg Everett : 02-28-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Gabriel Malate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

You do it on some of the reps, but make sure you're getting that bar into full contact with your body as you finish extending. Get more aggressive with the legs and hips both in the final explosion.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Gabriel Malate

I appreciate the help Greg! Got some new footage from today. Really tried focusing on getting a much fuller extension on these reps. Seems to be a little better to me, but I'll let you more experienced folk have the final say. Again any help is greatly appreciated. Haven't been able to get any coaching but I have to say having this forum definitely makes the learning process a little easier!

EDIT: ...Really can't seem to get this embed thing working right.

Last edited by Greg Everett : 03-03-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

I only watched the first half of the video, but they generally got better as you went. You're still picking up your feet a little too soon - keep tension on the bar the entire time, which means you need to already be pulling against it as you lift your feet.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Gabriel Malate

Well here's my weekly update. Not too much video to work with, phone camera refused to hold anymore than these two clips for today which was pretty odd. These were from some of my later sets, so I was definitely feeling a little slow/fatigued at this point. Really tried to cueing the tension/keeping the feet in contact with the platform on this session. Even did a few sets of snatches without foot movement to try and force myself to maintain contact a little longer. Again I appreciate the advice Greg and everyone else who happens to chime in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl61J...rVgpgb4buFd1lQ
Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Blake Barnes

That looks much better than the first two videos.

Try to retract the shoulders just a little bit in the starting position. You're leaving them too far forward.

Careful you don't break the elbows too soon. You don't do it every time but make sure you finish the extension before you start pulling under. Think about keeping your arms relaxed until you need to start pulling down.

Very good improvements though.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
Gabriel Malate

Additional footage from this morning. Sorry for the video bombardment!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
Gabriel Malate

Some new video footage from earlier today...

Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
Blake Barnes

I have mostly the same coaching points as I did in my last post. Looks like, on some reps, you're breaking the elbows too early (initiating the 3rd Pull too soon). I think that may come from the habit of cutting off the 2nd Pull like from the earlier videos when Greg said you were picking your feet up too early. Make sure you push the ground as long as you can and then pull down.

Also, try to make the adjustment with the shoulders in the starting position. As you bring the bar up and push it into your body the shoulders will naturally retract making it easier to keep the bar close throughout the movement. It's much more difficult to keep the bar close if your shoulders are protracted.