Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Christopher Bjerkseter

Default Starting weightlifting, improving my squat

Hi. I have started doing olympic weightlifting and realy enjoy it, but med squat is weak. I only squat about 100kg(220lbs)x5rep and i think I can improve my from in the squat. When i first started squating I couldn't go very deep and my foot placement was wide. I have gotten my feet more together but i think it could be better. Hope you guys can give me some tips. I will put a video of me squating 80kgx3rep.

Christopher Bjerkseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

You could get a little deeper but the hip joint does pass the level of the knee so you are below parallel. It sounds like you just had some mobility issues before.

Just keep stretching and add some lower-body mobility exercises to increase your depth in the squat.

To get stronger legs, I would jump on a squat cycle or something that emphasizes that aspect of training. There are several training cycles free for you use on this website. Just click HERE.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Christopher Bjerkseter

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I have strugled with my flexibility in the squat for a long time. I will keep working on my flexibility. For my depth I have placed my feet closer together. It feels kinda awkward in the start but I hope it will feel more naturally soon. I feel that I cant holde my back verticaly in the bottom position when I have my feet closer together. I will get a vidoe up soon if my squat with the new feet position.

I will focus on my squat strength for some time and light technique work for the oly lift.

I also have a question about the jerk. How should my shoulders be in the top of the jerk. Aktiv(shruged) like marke rippetoe says og paced like pavel says or something in between?
Christopher Bjerkseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Blake Barnes

The overhead position of the Jerk is similar to the Snatch. You want the shoulder blades retracted and more "packed" down. This allows for a more stable overhead position.