Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Taner Carlson

Default Beginner Snatch and C&J Form Check

Been Oly Lifting for about two weeks now, finally found a coach that I will be heading to next Saturday, sadly the club is about two hours away but I'll be driving there every saturday at least. Anyway, I have a ~38kg Snatch and ~54kg C&J here, also an 85# Snatch that I missed the first time I tried it. I think my biggest issue is trying to get the bar during the snatch as close as possible to me.

Taner Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Taner Carlson

Anyone got any critiques for me?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Blake Barnes

Snatch-

The first one looks pretty good from what I can tell at that angle. The second one exposes a few weaknesses among a couple of technique issues. First, try to slightly retract the shoulder blades in the starting position and then as you bring the bar up in the 1st Pull. Second, your feet slide back just a little bit when you shift them out to the receiving position and that's why you kind of land on your toes then try to readjust while in the bottom position which kind of throws everything else off. When moving the feet, try to think about picking up the knees rather than moving the heels back. Also, it looks like you could use some overall stability in the bottom position and in the upper body when you're overhead. Try some Snatch Push Presses/Overhead Squats/Snatch Balances to help stabilize the bar in the receiving position.

Clean-
The Clean looks pretty good. It looks like you could open up a bit more on the 2nd Pull; just think about pushing through the ground longer on the extension. I can't really see your elbows for the 3rd Pull but make sure your elbows are breaking UP and OUT as you move underneath the bar to receive it.

Jerk-
Don't rush the dip and drive. Make sure your position is correct and your weight is distributed correctly throughout the movement. It's a strong Jerk but it looks like you move forward through the bar. Try to eliminate any lateral/horizontal movement under the bar. Instead, make the path of the bar go back over the shoulders like a Push Press/Power Jerk.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Taner Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Barnes View Post
Snatch-

The first one looks pretty good from what I can tell at that angle. The second one exposes a few weaknesses among a couple of technique issues. First, try to slightly retract the shoulder blades in the starting position and then as you bring the bar up in the 1st Pull. Second, your feet slide back just a little bit when you shift them out to the receiving position and that's why you kind of land on your toes then try to readjust while in the bottom position which kind of throws everything else off. When moving the feet, try to think about picking up the knees rather than moving the heels back. Also, it looks like you could use some overall stability in the bottom position and in the upper body when you're overhead. Try some Snatch Push Presses/Overhead Squats/Snatch Balances to help stabilize the bar in the receiving position.

Clean-
The Clean looks pretty good. It looks like you could open up a bit more on the 2nd Pull; just think about pushing through the ground longer on the extension. I can't really see your elbows for the 3rd Pull but make sure your elbows are breaking UP and OUT as you move underneath the bar to receive it.

Jerk-
Don't rush the dip and drive. Make sure your position is correct and your weight is distributed correctly throughout the movement. It's a strong Jerk but it looks like you move forward through the bar. Try to eliminate any lateral/horizontal movement under the bar. Instead, make the path of the bar go back over the shoulders like a Push Press/Power Jerk.
Thanks for the reply! In regards to eliminating that forward movement of my chest, how can I specifically drill that into me to keep my torso aligned? I struggle with trying to not push my body through the bar like I did, and the only way I seem to be able to not do it is when my front foot isn't so far out.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Blake Barnes

I think working in Power Jerks would be a great exercise. Split Push Press/Tall Power Jerk/Tall Split Jerk. I would also try a combo, like: Power Jerk + Jerk or something to help let it carry over.

Last edited by Blake Barnes : 03-28-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Blake Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote