Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Måns Sterner

Default Power-snatching my snatches.

I kinda figure the answer to this already, but I'm gonna ask anyway, since I'm new to this.

Whenever I do snatches I have trouble catching the bar below parallel, so essentially I'm doing power snatches most of the time. Should I deload on the snatch and work exclusively on the landing, or is this something that'll come with time?

Also, right now my power snatch is about 10kg stronger than my regular, about 70kg/60kg. ''Should'' the power snatch be stronger usually, or is this probably due to the technique deficiency of my snatch?
Måns Sterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Mans,

First off, cool name.

The power snatch weight should NOT be heavier than your full snatch. In theory, it's most likely going to be roughly 80% of your full lift. This could be due to a number of reasons, like a) lack of confidence, b) lack of leg strength, c) lack of core strength, or d) technical issues.

If you lack confidence, then tall/dip or hang/block at about mid-thigh will help you shorten the amount of power you generate and therefore force you to get under the bar. You can also do snatch balances or drop snatches to work on building your confidence as you receive the bar.

Should you lack leg strength, then the answer is simple: spend A LOT of time doing squats. You could very well be power snatching more because your back is stronger than your legs and you're whipping the bar rather than driving it up with a balanced body designed to produce optimal power. Therefore, squat, squat, and then squat some more -- it's the foundation to success in weightlifting.

A common yet often overlooked issue is lack of core strength. Like your legs, the core needs direct work. This is non-negotiable, and I'm not speaking about crunches. Training your abdominals and obliques to action like they would in any lift -- embracing your spine and creating a rigid trunk/back that can sustain a ballistic load coming down onto the body -- is absolutely critical. Things like planks, leg raises, good mornings, RDLs, SLDLs, explosive twists with a medicine ball, the overhead squat, etc., will help you increase your ability to sustain the lift once you receive it.

Now, having a technical error is something that we'll need a video to confirm or deny. If you have one, feel free to post it here for some feedback.

I hope this helps,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Måns Sterner

Thanks for the long answer!

Of the reasons you mentioned I think condifence and technique are the biggest factors in my lack of depth. I weigh about 77kg and squat roughly 130kg, while deadlifting 150kg. I'm not really sure where that stands as far as weightlifting standards but a snatch of 60 kg shouldn't be a problem for the legs I think.

I actually snatched a lot today with a total weight of 25kgs, just to really grind getting into the hole quickly, and not do a power snatch with an overhead squat right after. I didn't manage to record it, but it felt better than before. I'll try to get a video of it within a week or so and put it up here so you can see.

Also, Måns is a decent name but my siblings are named after scandinavian gods so they got me beat
Old 05-30-2014, 04:42 AM   #4
Javier Sanjuan

Mans,

Don't sell yourself short on the name -- it's a good one! I'm sorry I can't figure out how to make the character in your name, though.

As for the video, if you get a chance, feel free to post it up here for anyone to review and provide you feedback.

Best,
Javi

Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Måns Sterner

I've recorded a couple of power snatches. Regular snatches is next up on my program so I'll probably get them both up tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Måns Sterner

UPDATE:

So here are the videos of a power snatch as well as a few snatches. I focused on getting in that "hole" during the snatches, perhaps neglecting the pull a little in the process. I'll gladly hear any positive critisism/advice!

Power snatch, 55kg.

Snatch, 40kg.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
Javier Sanjuan

Mans,

First off, you need to invest into some weightlifting shoes! It's safer and provides you with a better platform to execute and receive your lifts. You're bottom position is not optimal due to the lack of weightlifting shoes, which will help you shift the hips a little more forward and keep the torso more vertical. I can't stress this enough. As I said before, it's for your safety.

Lastly, pull like you would. Where you receive the bar is a result of your leg drive. If you want to work on full snatches, then receive the bar where it may and proceed to go into a squatted position. You were sacrificing extension in the pull when you were trying to work on full snatches. You can also benefit from your elbows coming up rather than going backwards during your second and third pull -- the bar was looping around a bit, particularly in the power snatch, which is why you caught it slightly off balance and forward. Keep the back tight and elbows going up and out.

Best,
Javi

Old 06-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Måns Sterner

You're right about the shoes. I've picked out a pair that I want, just haven't gotten to buy them yet.

Regarding the snatch, do you recommend me going up to ~power snatch weight for the full snatch, and let the receiving position come natural as I go?

The elbows going vertically doesn't come natural for me. Is there any complimentary exercise (maybe light muscle snatches?) that would help get this right?

Thanks for all the help, Javier!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
Javier Sanjuan

Mans,

1. Yes, I would recommend not only going up to your power snatch weight and letting the pull under come naturally, but you also need to prime your system for it. While warming up, do some tall/dip/high-hang snatches to work on pulling under with less energy driving the bar up. You can also do these as part of your training and go as heavy as possible where you start to feel the need to first explode the bar up as high as you possibly can, then pulling under to receive it. Doing doubles or triples usually help regulate intensity while adding quality repetition.

2. As for the elbows coming up, some snatch high pulls and muscle snatches work will. Don't neglect to stretch your shoulders and upper back. The traps and chest can also inhibit your motion, so if they're stiff or locked up, then you need to address that as well.

Keep up the solid work!

Best,
Javi

Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Måns Sterner

Thank you for all the advice! I will continue practicing and heed them as good as I can.