Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Adam Fazal

Default Form Check

So I need a lot of work on my technique and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what those things are. I attempted a snatch double with what I hit at my first competition today and I missed the second rep.
first rep

second rep miss

Thanks!
Adam Fazal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

The lifts look pretty good from what I could see. One thing that I think could benefit you is bringing the bar back more off of the floor. So the bar is actually making an angle back towards your hips more in the 1st Pull. Your extension is great, but it looks like you may be initiating the 2nd Pull just a little bit too soon. Try to bring the bar up higher and more into the body before extending. I would suggest doing a complex of: Halting Snatch Deadlift + Snatch. Making sure you pause at the hip or the top of the thigh so you get the feeling of where the bar should be.

When receiving the bar, try to keep your head and chest up when turning the bar over. You're diving through and that is making the bar creep forward in the bottom position.

Try some light Dip Snatches and really focus on keeping the head and chest up more when turning the bar over.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Adam Fazal

Blake I really appreciate your help. I have been working on really hitting the hip before I start the second pull. I am still working on staying upright when going under the bar.

My main problem right now is that I feel that despite my best efforts, the bar is moving away from me too much. How big of an issue is this? I am doing my best efforts to correct this and I want to fix it for my next meet. Thanks for all your help.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Daniel Villarreal

It's all relative, but one mistake often leads to another and the snowball effect can easily ruin lifts. So I would try to keep the bar close.

What I see as the main issue (bearing in mind it's generally speaking a nice and controlled snatch and it's only based on a couple of clips) is that after the bar passes your knees, it moves away from your thighs, so when the hips come in, they create an outward momentum. As Blake suggests, I'd work on pulling the bar "in" after the knees, keeping it constantly very near the highs, which (I think) would lead to a more vertical overall bar path. I think that the timing of the second pull would fix itself naturally after that.

There's some weird stuff going on in the bottom position in one or two lifts. You're actually on your tiptoes almost falling forward. Doesn't look like a mobility issue, rather like you're catching the bar awkwardly. Does that happen often?
Daniel Villarreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Blake Barnes

The bar is definitely swinging out away from you. And that is a very big issue. The bar needs to be making a more vertical bar path. I understand that's only 40kg and you can get away with making it while still swinging it out but as the weight gets heavier, you're going to start losing the bar forward. Let your elbows break UP and OUT to guide the bar straight up. Try some Snatch High Pulls and Muscle Snatches to help correct that bar path.

Like Daniel said, the bottom position needs to be addressed. There MIGHT be a T-Spine mobility restriction that not letting you stay as upright as you should be. I would work some Snatch Balances and Overhead Squats into your training as well.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Adam Fazal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Villarreal View Post
I'd work on pulling the bar "in" after the knees, keeping it constantly very near the highs, which (I think) would lead to a more vertical overall bar path. I think that the timing of the second pull would fix itself naturally after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Barnes View Post
Let your elbows break UP and OUT to guide the bar straight up.
Sorry the delay, I wanted to have video to show you guys. So I did a lot of work to "scarecrow" the bar and keep it close. I warmed up with muscle snatches and then did high pulls from the hip. On video these seemed fairly close. I then did high pulls from the knee, really focusing on sweeping the bar back. These also seemed closer than before. The videos are on ubersense so I can email them to you guys if you would like to see them.

I then did a complex of 1 high pull from the knee followed by 1 snatch. I think these looked better but I want to know what you guys have to say.

On the last one I was thinking of too many cues and ended up clarking it.

Quote:
There's some weird stuff going on in the bottom position in one or two lifts. You're actually on your tiptoes almost falling forward. Doesn't look like a mobility issue, rather like you're catching the bar awkwardly. Does that happen often?
Quote:
Like Daniel said, the bottom position needs to be addressed. There MIGHT be a T-Spine mobility restriction that not letting you stay as upright as you should be.
A couple general things that may or may not be pertinent to this discussion. I am very short and am able to get in the correct start position with the bar close to my shins, which is why the bar makes a vertical path off the floor. I also have flat feet that turn out to the sides. I wear an orthotic while lifting.

Sometimes when I receive the bar, my heels will come up off the floor. I am not really sure why this happens. On some lifts I can keep my feet flat on the floor, on others the heel may come up. I have done the drill where you put the bar on your knees to stretch out your ankle before most if not all of my training.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am really going back to square one in hopes of being able to improve my mediocre numbers.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Blake Barnes

The lifts looks much better. Some of the time (especially on the high-pulls) it looks like you are rolling to the toes and depending on your hips to accelerate the bar. Think of elevating the bar by pushing your feet straight through the platform all the way to the toes. You can see on the 2nd video on the Hang Snatch you clarked, the bar ends up a little too far out away from you because you rolled forward and pushed your hips into it too much.

The mobility stuff takes time. You're just going to have to keep working on it and have some patience.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Andrew Kenis

Watched the first clip at .25 slow motion, and didn't have to look at the second clip to know you missed in front!

Your hip extension is very aggressive and strong and fast, looping the bar way out in front of you. Like the others said, and you know, you have to keep the bar close and over your base. Danny has a good video emphasizing this:

http://www.olyconcepts.com/all-video.../7/20/bar-path

As Gregg says, some lifters are more "leg extension" and some are more "hipcentric." I think you could help your bar path by focusing more on the extension part.
Andrew Kenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
Adam Fazal

Quote:
The lifts looks much better. Some of the time (especially on the high-pulls) it looks like you are rolling to the toes and depending on your hips to accelerate the bar. Think of elevating the bar by pushing your feet straight through the platform all the way to the toes. You can see on the 2nd video on the Hang Snatch you clarked, the bar ends up a little too far out away from you because you rolled forward and pushed your hips into it too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kenis View Post
As Gregg says, some lifters are more "leg extension" and some are more "hipcentric." I think you could help your bar path by focusing more on the extension part.
Ok I am working on incorporating more "leg" in my 2nd pull. I will update once I have made some improvement.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
Adam Fazal

Quote:
Think of elevating the bar by pushing your feet straight through the platform all the way to the toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kenis View Post
I think you could help your bar path by focusing more on the extension part.
Hey guys, I have really been working on using my legs more at the finish. I also used the idea of the box around the foot and I think the lifts are looking better but I would like to know what you guys think.