Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
Helder Castro

Default Master lifter and the 4 week Leg strength Block 1

I need to improve my leg strength and although this 4 week cycle looks just what i need, i have some questions regarding the squat frequency :

1) I'm a master lifter and i doubt i'll recover properly from 3 squat sessions per week,i'm thinking of extending the cycle two more weeks and only squatting twice per week ,what do you think ?

2) The program has halting deadlifts (snatch/c & j) but the calculation based on my snatch/clean jerk has me deadlifting with 60/80kg ,can i increase the weigths here above my max snatch/clean & jerk?? I was thinking adding 20%??

3) As i will be extending the cycle , how should i proceed regarding the loads used on all the other days/exercises?? Maybe using the same??

Thank you
Helder Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Just spread out the program all together if you don't think you'll recover.

Yes, you can increase the pull/DL weights by feel if they're too light.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
Helder Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Just spread out the program all together if you don't think you'll recover.

Yes, you can increase the pull/DL weights by feel if they're too light.
Thank you Greg
Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
Helder Castro

Update and request for advice on the 4week leg strength block:

As i previously mentioned,being 40years old makes recovery harder so i decided to extend the cycle to 6 weeks,unfortunately i wasn't able to squat friday the last heavy session and tried to do it yesterday at the beginning of what should be the deload week,8x3 but the strength just wasn't there ...i won't refer what load i'm using,it's too embarrasing

Should i stick to the plan and try a 1rm at the end of this week or simply run over the program,although with an lower estimated 1rm??

Or end the cycle and start the 2nd block??

Thank you in advance

Helder
Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

Go ahead and try a 1RM - either way you're going to start something new next week, so you might as well see what you can do first.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Helder Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Go ahead and try a 1RM - either way you're going to start something new next week, so you might as well see what you can do first.
Thank you Greg,i did that.Got a number lower than the max i estimated for the first block,guess i was a bit too ambitious.Let's see how it works this time...
Old 08-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Fadi Chemaissem

Old 08-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #8
Fadi Chemaissem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helder Castro View Post
I need to improve my leg strength and although this 4 week cycle looks just what i need, i have some questions regarding the squat frequency
Hi Helder,

How much do you really need to have your leg strength increased?! Yes, I am making a point of this "need". If you really need to increase the strength of your legs, then obviously you would need to squat, that's a no brainer. However if you need to provide yourself with the opportunity for maximum strength gains in the shortest amount of time possible, then a daily squat program would be the best way to go in my opinion.

Quote:
1) I'm a master lifter and i doubt i'll recover properly from 3 squat sessions per week,i'm thinking of extending the cycle two more weeks and only squatting twice per week ,what do you think ?
Ok, so you're a master lifter. Says who that there should be a doubt allowed to enter your psyche based on your age? I know that you are saying it, and more than likely believing it as well. My question is simply this: why?

Quote:
As i previously mentioned,being 40years old makes recovery harder so i decided to extend the cycle to 6 weeks,unfortunately i wasn't able to squat friday the last heavy session and tried to do it yesterday at the beginning of what should be the deload week,8x3 but the strength just wasn't there ...i won't refer what load i'm using,it's too embarrasing
Granted, I am speaking from (much) silence about your background Helder. But still, I am basing my words (and thoughts) on none other than my own self, and my own experience. I'm very much aware that we're not discussing the technique or the speed (or lack thereof) that would see you go under that bar in (say) a clean no,...we're merely discussing a brute strength movement that is the squat. So (doubt of recovery aside), would you or are you able to afford yourself the time to squat 7 days a week?

Sorry, I haven't asked, but what is your ultimate goal in all of this?

Open for discussion...

Fadi.

Last edited by Fadi Chemaissem : 08-09-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Changed "but" to "than".
Fadi Chemaissem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Andrew Kenis

I agree w/ Fadi. You said:

2) The program has halting deadlifts (snatch/c & j) but the calculation based on my snatch/clean jerk has me deadlifting with 60/80kg ,can i increase the weigths here above my max snatch/clean & jerk?? I was thinking adding 20%??

... and like Gregg said, sure. Add weight if you're goal is to squat more and increase strength.

But... do why do you think you need the leg strength? It's not always applicable nor necessary to our goal of snatching and clean and jerking more weight. And I would add that it may in fact be counter productive by reducing training time necessary for the classic lifts and robing recovery ability.

Say you increased the snatch deadlift to 72kg, and assume that's the weight you're looking at toward the end of the program for say sets of three. Since our training in deadlifts is an overload of the snatch, this should give us the strength capability to snatch something 10-20% less, probably at least 58kg. Can you snatch that? If not, then I would say you have disproportionate leg strength, and you wasted time and recovery ability gaining it.

And I'm more master than you (48). But here's an example of my previous program where my snatch/cj goals where 145/180 (and let's pretend I'm using kilos). Using Takano's programing book, I set up proportionate max goals for my FS and BS. The snatch/cj ratio is right at 80%. I used a BS/cj ratio of 1.4, yielding a max BS of around 250 (which might even be a little high, as he says you only NEED 1.3 ratio). My FS max of 195 was based on 1.1 x my Clean and Jerk goal (and again, he say's you only need 1.05 x cj). Now I never did a 250 BS at the end of my program (pretty sure I could), but throughout the program my squatting was based on percentages of that 250.

In reality, after having previously been doing Gregg's Basic Beginner program (consistently adding weight), I had already been doing sets of 3 at 235! So I really didn't need, nor want to increase my leg strength. I had enough. Consequently, my squatting throughout the program was relatively easy and not taxing upon my recovery capabilities. At the end of the program I exceeded my goals and snatched 155 and clean and jerked 190 (again... let's pretend that's kilos).
Andrew Kenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Blake Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadi Chemaissem View Post

Ok, so you're a master lifter. Says who that there should be a doubt allowed to enter your psyche based on your age? I know that you are saying it, and more than likely believing it as well. My question is simply this: why?
He's worried about his ability to recover because, according to science, the older you get the the harder it is on your body to recover. I'm not saying a daily squat program would be impossible for a 40-year-old but you're not taking into account the unmeasurable factors: work, family life, travel, etc. I'm sure he'd be fine if all he did was eat, sleep and train.

It's probable that he's lifted enough to find out he doesn't have the phenomenal recovery time to be squatting everyday. If you look at his post from "07-22-2014" he missed his squats that day so apparently he's got life-things going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadi Chemaissem View Post

Sorry, I haven't asked, but what is your ultimate goal in all of this?
I don't want to speak for him but I think his ultimate goal is to get his legs stronger.