Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
Garrett Smith

Nikki,
I'm rushing to go home, but I wanted to give you something to play with...

Go to PubMed and do searches of "EPA thyroid", "DHA thyroid", "gluten thyroid", and "celiac thyroid".

That should give you plenty to look at, and save me a little time... :-)

And yes, I'm talking about an O-3 deficiency. You could even do a search of "GLA thyroid" while you're there, that may play a role too...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #12
Stuart Mather

Interesting about the iodine Garrett. Do you think there is a safe supplementary amount of the potassium iodide/iodine combo if I have no idea if I'm iodine deficient or not. I take a kelp tablet a day and use sea salt moderately. I can't imagine feeling healthier than I do, but if I was iodine deficient, some basic supplementation should produce noticeable improvement shouldn't it?

Stuart
Stuart Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #13
Nikki Young

Thanks Steve! That was a good explination

Thanks Garrett! I've read a few links on pubmed from my searches but nothing that has yet answered my above questions.. they are just making me more confused I'll keep reading a few more though, am keen for your reply tomorow!
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:51 AM   #14
Allen Yeh

May 8, 2007
Temp: 96.3 (I think the digital thermometer is broken....)

Everyday is a feed day for me, my fasting hours vary from 15-18 hours typically.

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 05-08-2007 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add IF method
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:35 AM   #15
Steve Liberati

May 8, 2004
Temp: 96.4
Previous day: Fast day

Yep time to invest in a new digital thermometer as well...
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #16
Garrett Smith

Nikki,
I'm going to try to be succinct about the gluten/thyroid connection.

Gluten causes leaky gut, which then leads to excessive stresses on the immune system and autoimmune conditions with time.

The excessive stresses on the immune system wear down the adrenals, and the adrenal function is heavily linked with thyroid function. After progressing past that, we get into autoimmune disorders, of which the thyroid is a big participant in.

As for O-3s, without enough of them, or the right ratios, all communication within the body is compromised. This is why a lack of fish oil can cause so many different (seemingly unrelated) problems in the body, and appear like the panacea to "fix" so many problems. The thyroid is just one of them.

Stuart,
As I mentioned before, men don't tend to have as much of an issue with iodine. You may or may not have an issue--although I'd place my bet that you would be at least slightly low. The first issue is always making sure that autoimmune thyroid conditions are not present, both through history and previous/current labs. An autoimmune condition simply warrants a different approach than normal.

There way I suggest pursuing this issue is the 24-hour "loading" iodine sufficiency test. You take 50mg of iodine/potassium iodide (Iodoral) and then collect your urine for 24 hours. The amount of iodine you excrete of that 50mg is indicative of your body's hunger/need for iodine. Sufficiency is noted as being a >90% excretion (more than 45mg comes out in the urine). Knowing that, we can estimate the time necessary to be on a daily loading dose, and follow up with another test around that time. After sufficiency is reached, the daily dose is reduced to 12.5mg. If one wants to do whole food sources of iodine, as in significant doses of sea vegetables (one kelp tablet may contain ~500mcg of iodine, hardly enough!), that can be done after sufficiency is reached. This is the approach I would suggest.

Some have simply taken the loading dose for a period of time (3-4.5 months, let's say), assumed that sufficiency was reached, and then gone to the maintenance dose.

As a male, I wouldn't "go by feel" on this issue, as you will likely not notice huge changes unless you have significant iodine deficiency (easily found out through the test, which costs less than two bottles of Iodoral).

I do consistently notice that I do not get cold when everyone else is, and that reducing bodyfat has become ridiculously easy since I've been taking the Iodoral. I also consume a decent amount of sea vegetables (I'm going to submit my seaweed salad recipe to the PMenu).
Old 05-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #17
Stuart Mather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post

Some have simply taken the loading dose for a period of time (3-4.5 months, let's say), assumed that sufficiency was reached, and then gone to the maintenance dose.
Sound's the easiest way. Maintenance dose is 12.5 mg iodoral right? So if I'm not iodine deficient and I take the 3 month loading dose, is it going to do me any harm?
Btw. I know it's been discussed ad infinitum here, but I'm still a bit confused about how much EPA/DHA to consume. I take 15ml fish oil daily. Is that enough? I keep noticing cautionary mention of O- 3 overconsumption.

Stuart.
Stuart Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #18
Robert Allison

Good info, Garrett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I also consume a decent amount of sea vegetables (I'm going to submit my seaweed salad recipe to the PMenu).
I look forward to trying it out; I'll try anything to improve the taste of that stuff. I've always thought that most recipes centered around sea vegetables were based on a dare.

Also, a couple of posters on this thread have mentioned sea salt as a source of iodine. While natural sea salts do have other positive qualities, they provide iodine only in very small (trace) amounts. While sea vegetables are a better source, they have limitations as well. In addition to what Garrett alluded to above, Dr. David Brownstein has found that some kelp supplements may contain toxic levels of arsenic or halides.

http://www.drbrownstein.com/blog.asp?id=105

I'm not sure if other sea vegetables have the same issues or if this just applies to kelp.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #19
Allen Yeh

May 9, 2007
Temp: 97.1

Everyday is a feed day for me, my fasting hours vary from 15-18 hours typically.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #20
Garrett Smith

I keep forgetting to bring my thermometer home.

Stuart,
I shoot for 2400mg of total EPA+DHA a day. The EPA+DHA is the only number I go by, not by mL or g of "fish oil". I figure that amount is sufficient, as I strive quite hard to only eat properly sourced animal products (which have at least close to the proper O-3 to O-6 ratio).

For example, with my concentrated liquid fish oil and concentrated CLO (for the A & D), I can get my 2400mg in 1.25 teaspoons of total oil, along with 500IU D and 5000IU A.

To get the same amount of EPA+DHA in the basic Kirkland capsules, one has to take ~8 capsules, and they don't get any A or D.

If one is doing around the amount I suggest, there is very little likelihood of "overdoing" the fish oil.