Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Default Kelly Baggett

I know there was a discussion before on Kelly Baggett but the dude needs his own thread in the speed and agility forum.

I highly recommend that you read every article he has written and read the Vertical Jump Development Bible or No Bull Speed Development.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
Jamila Bey

And WHY did you not post this at the beginning of my football training?

Thanks much for this. I've got some work to do!
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

I've read (and own) the Vertical Development Bible. Looks really solid and well put together. I plan on giving it a spin after I get my back squat up some. Or maybe later this summer.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Daniel Christensen

I've also got the Vertical Jump Book, and have been following the bodyweight progressions. Initially I was also following the novice plyomterics program, but I got sore feet and gave up.

My assesment of the program to date...
Positives:
Simple message, well laid out and explained.
Good variety of single leg progressions in bodyweight program.
I got stronger.

Negatives:
If you do the workouts in full they tend to be a bit long (at least for me) - definitley over an hour of training.
You are left to your own devices to cover upper body training (makes sense, given the theme).
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Daniel Christensen

An article I liked...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly5.htm
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

I've been reading a lot of his articles lately. A lot of good information.

Things I've known but now a bit clearer to me:
-I have "Bad Feet"
-I have not put enough running time in as a youth and now working on catching up.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

What do you guys think of this:

Quote:
If you engage in long duration cardio keep it easy so that the slow twitch fiber does the work. There's a big difference between running a 4.5 minute mile and running an 8 minute mile. The former will make you weak and slow as your body calls upon fast twitch fibers which must adapt to accomplish the task. The latter won't have any negative effects because the slow twitch fiber can handle the workload. The development of lactic acid is a sure sign that you're recruiting fast twitch fibers. Make sure the lactic acid stays out of your legs and keep the intensity to 60-70% of maximum heart rate.
From this article:
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/speedtraining.html
Old 06-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
Robb Wolf

Allen-
It makes sense in that one might skirt the use of the larger, stronger fibers and thus avoid their conversion to a more endurance oriented fiber. I think it just depends upon what one is trying to accomplish.

I REALLY like Kelly's writing. That guy knows his stuff.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Allen-
It makes sense in that one might skirt the use of the larger, stronger fibers and thus avoid their conversion to a more endurance oriented fiber. I think it just depends upon what one is trying to accomplish.

I REALLY like Kelly's writing. That guy knows his stuff.
That brings me to question...unless you are entering a somewhat LD running race is there any really good reason to get a mile time down to something like 5-6 minutes? Or a person that can sprint the heck out of anything under 100m's and do a mile in around 8 minutes/

In most sports it is a series of sprints up and down field + lateral motion rather than a 5K/marathon. So wouldn't trying to keep the use of the larger, stronger fibers for bursts be more optimal for performance?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
That brings me to question...unless you are entering a somewhat LD running race is there any really good reason to get a mile time down to something like 5-6 minutes? Or a person that can sprint the heck out of anything under 100m's and do a mile in around 8 minutes/

In most sports it is a series of sprints up and down field + lateral motion rather than a 5K/marathon. So wouldn't trying to keep the use of the larger, stronger fibers for bursts be more optimal for performance?
Oh absolutely IMO. I don't know if it was Kelly's site or the Dos Remidios site but they had a football preseason conditioning program. 3 days per week of HEAVY lifting and 3 days of a boat-load of sprints. Some up to 100m but loads of 10,20 40 etc. SHORT rest periods too. It looked like an ass kicker if one really got in and hustled on the runs. I think a recommendation like the above might be handy if you are fishing for some low level restoration work AND you are trying like crazy to avoid fiber type transition.

It's an interesting balance to keep but one can really enhance that ubber explosive fiber expression via tapering. Loads of hard work...even METcon type CF work mixed with heavy training then, drop the GPP way back and taper the strength/power training. In my practice I will have perhaps one person every 2 years that needs that level of tinkering. Most folks will benefit enormously form a generalist approach.

One can also orient training towards a Power Bias. For example instead of a 400m run in a Helen workout one could perform 10x40m shuttle runs, then the rest of the WO. The acceleration/deceration is likely MUCH more specific to most activities than a hard 400m run.

I could see folks in the military and police really benefititng form a mix of these approaches.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote