Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Default hooah pt hooah

This started with this thread about training up for an upcoming APFT http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130.

Long story short, it's one month away and I wasn't sure quite where to go, how to taper my training for that goal. Robb was nice enough to help. So, here's what I did this evening:

2 minutes pushups (to gauge %s for GTG): 64

4x400m repeats (w/4:00 minutes rest in between)
1 - 1:31 (had to dodge a kid in that ran in my way)
2 - 1:32
3 - 1:32
4 - 1:31

A few sets of pullups & chinups, avoiding failure.

My thoughts: I was disappointed with my numbers. I ran faster 400s (by 5 seconds) in the past month, but it was on a different track. I am totally unaccustomed to the 4 minutes of rest. Usually only stand around feeling miserable for two minutes between intervals, but this provides a lot better recovery. The pushups, while lower than my last PT test max, were, as far as I could tell, flawless in form. I took my time, relatively speaking, and I think I could have pumped out a couple more if I had rushed the last few. Overall, it's a good starting point I think.
Gordon Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Gordon Richmond

Today I did 20 pushups every 45 minutes or so, and I figure I might have missed one session, but at least 300 total pushups for the day. By the end of the day, I was definitely starting to feel it, but it was hard not to push until failure. I realized that I have never really trained pushups at a submaximal level.

At the gym I did 8x3 Bent-over rows. I have not done these for a long time and was surprised at how weak I was. I did them pretty slowly, trying to get full ROM. Weights for the eight sets were:

I followed that up with four sets of pullups and then I worked sort of an impromptu core circuit using the ab wheel, back extensions, and situps on a decline bench.

Tomorrow I'll run 2 miles in the morning and do around 25 pushups at probably closer to one hour intervals. I have to drive 3 or four hours, so I will have to adjust somewhat or just pull onto the shoulder when my timer goes off and do the pushups on the top of the Subaru.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Gordon Richmond

Friday the workout was a two mile run. It was terrible. I ran without the iPod, and did some pushups beforehand, trying to replicate the actual even conditions. My time: 14:25. Slowest time I've had since I ran in a DC windstorm. Nothing to do about it but keep working.

I was on the road for some four hours in the middle of the day, so that really messed up my rhythm with GTG. I don't think I did more than 200 total pushups.

Today, I only did a few pushups sporadically in the morning, (100 or so) but my workout an overhead press. The workout room where I am right now has no barbells, just some light dumbbells and a smith machine. Fortunately, I brought my Olympic dumbbell (which I think is 25lb). I did one-handed OHPs, 8x3x75lb. Then I did a few snatches and swings, nothing too hard. It is amazing how much easier it is to snatch with the Olympic plate loading dumbbell with the swiveling handle as opposed to the normal dumbbells.

Tomorrow the plan calls for some 800m repeats, then sets of about 30 pushups scattered throughout the day. This is the largest percentage of my max (50%) that Robb’s suggested plan calls for, and I assume it will be the toughest. I have to drive back tomorrow, but I am going to aim, tentatively, to get at least 350 over the course of the day. We’ll see how it goes.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Gordon Richmond

I've been so busy, I've been doing a terrible job keeping this updated (as in I haven't been updating it at all). Fortunately, I have been following the plan, adjusted some for the travel time. GTG pushups were tough! I can't imagine how hard Pavel's version would have been, but after the 50% day, I was starting to get elbow pain and backed off some. Max pushups did not improve dramatically. I got 68, as opposed to 64 before. I want to write this off to the fact that I was being extraordinarily strict on form when counting them, but who knows.

I'm doing the intervals, and alternating those days with lifting one of the big lifts, low rep and heavy weight. Still not used to that, and I guess I just feel better when I add something else like pullups or dumbbell swings, which I have been doing. The test is July 5. I will start another GTG cycle tomorrow, and really ramp up my situps and the intervals, while probably cutting out the weight work entirely. I'm thinking that July 2 I will do light pushups and go for a short and easy run and that will be the final training before the PT test.

Diet has been good. I have been doing ~15 hr fasts every day, training around 7pm, which falls in the middle of the eating period. Not really any noticeable weight/body comp changes since I began this most recent training regimen. I’ll be sure to post again before I leave to take the test.