Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 06-15-2007, 07:17 AM   #21
Scott Kustes

My wife gives me that look. But she also understands that it's pretty well impossible to pack on any fat when the tons of food one is eating is vegetables.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #22
William Hunter

Great posts Edward, you've put into words what I've been thinking. I'm currently going strong in IF after several in and outs over the past 1-2 years. Part of my problem was trying to cram as much food as possible into my gut whether I felt like it or not. I'm trying to gauge myself a little better now, and there are days where I don't eat until 6pm, then I just eat a normal meal and possibly a snack a few hours later. It ends up being a very low calorie day. I can keep that up for a day or two, then the real feast mode takes over and I go friggin nuts at the dinner table. I think a lot of us trying this have some deeply rooted fears about not taking in enough calories each and every day. My silly brain seems to get in the way of a perfectly natural process until I muzzle it.

I've yet to try EOD but there was a time when I conducted a weekly 36 hr fast, usually on Sunday. I found that doing that on a limited basis made those days very difficult, with me doing a lot of lying around, being generally useless. Fine if you're single, not so much with a wifey and 3 little ones.
William Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #23
Edward Friedman

William,

Thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot to me. In RL, there is no one around me that is "in to" what I am. ( WOE, KB exercise, etc.) The "validation" is comforting, albeit "virtual". ( BTW, I appreciate the "wifey & 3 kids" comment, as I have "wifey & 2 kids" )

Your post brought other IF thoughts to mind. To the extent that current IF thinking arose from a paleo view of food scarcity, the eating patterns you outlined and our concerns about, "did I really eat enough to get to my next window" have interesting implications.

The fact that we can generally not eat for a long time, then eat, then find we are satisfied with less than we thought it would take to satisfy, than need to eat much more some days, shows ( me anyway,) that we have much greater than generally realized stress hardiness and that modern day overeating is really prevalent (even among those not over-fat.)

There is so much "its time to eat" or "this is how much you need to eat" cultural programming, being liberated/detached from that through IF is another benefit.
Edward Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #24
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
I have a Chinese buffet nearby with a hibachi. I tear a hole in that when I go in. But how they stay in business is that few people eat like us MOD. Most people are loading up on the cheap egg rolls (ok, so I have 1 or 2 on the rare occasions I go there), the chicken and pork in sugary sauce, and the desserts rather than the meat, onions, bean sprouts, and a touch of soy sauce.

Ahhhh....the 2nd of 3 plates today....Mmmmmmm.....
Old 06-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #25
Sam Cannons

Got a question regarding the Fast-5 and workout times, if my average work out time is in the arvos as well as MA training will this affect what time i choose my window ? The best time really for me would be 1600-2100 but this is also during my wo time.

Thank you

Sam In Aus
Sam Cannons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #26
Al Coleman

I have a similar question. How many of you work out during the fast? Have you noticed any strength loss? I've been doing 24on 24 off for about a week now. On my fast day I feel flat as hell and lose all my vascularity. I tried working out on a fast day and felt wipped within minutes. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Al Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #27
Garrett Smith

I do all of my strength workouts while fasting and have been getting significant PRs (at this BW), I haven't done any major metcons (like my hilly fixie out & back ride that sandwiches a hilly run & walk) while fasting.

Are you doing a Paleo IF? Are you relatively fat-adapted?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #28
Sam Cannons

With the fast Garrett it will be paleo food. My problem is that i work earlier and finish around 3pm and workout around 4-5, i dont think i can last till after 5 fasting and i also train ma a couple of times a week from about 6.30-8.30.

I will start by trying an eating window from 12-5pm today and see how it goes.

Thanks

Sam In Aus
Sam Cannons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #29
Al Coleman

I'm on more of a zone type diet although I'm not overly strict with it. Will fasting day workouts improve once one is fat adapted?
Al Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #30
William Hunter

Al, did you jump right in to 24 hr on/24 hr off IF? That sounds pretty hardcore to me. If you did, you might try compressing your eating window slowly over a few weeks. "Normal people" eat anywhere from 12 to 16 hours per day (even diehard Zoners). Perhaps you could try an 8 hr window, then 6 or 5 for a while. It's taken my body a while to get used to this but I'm pretty comfortable with a 4-5 hour window. However, if I failed to eat enough over a 2-3 day period I get a little weak so the next day I may eat over an 8 hr period. I think I'm still a ways off from EOD eating. I'm coming off a planned bulk where I went from 165 to 192 (5'11") and have never found dropping BF easier than this. Down to 178 as of this morning and fairly lean. When all is said and done, I'll try to stay at 175 (8-10%BF) for the summer, which may prove difficult if I don't really chow down during my window. If your goals include serious strength and bodyweight gain IF may be a difficult protocol. YMMV.
William Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote