Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
Robert Allison

Hi Nikki,

I have made cultured vegetables numerous times, and they never looked "yucky"... but I guess that could be a matter of perspective. Without more specific information, it would be somewhat difficult to know if something has gone awry.

You might check out the troubleshooting guide at Wild Fermentation.com. Sandor Katz probably knows as much about fermentation as anybody in the world. He has some good info on his site, but he also replies to e-mails pretty quickly.

Lately, I have just been buying cultured vegetables--it's just easier than taking the time to make them. But I am not familar with Global Organics. In general, as long as you can find raw (unpasteurized) cultured vegetables, you're good to go. If they are raw, it should say so on the label.

I hope this helps...
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #12
Garrett Smith

Nikki,
Definitely try the pre-made stuff. After you know what the "cultured" taste is like, then you can judge the batch you made.

There is an absolute, huge difference between "rotten" and "cultured". One doesn't have to do much more than sniff.

Make sure your vessels are clean. The only time I had a batch go bad was when I used a jar previously used for kefir to make cultured veggies in. The smell actually felt like it was burning my nose.

Robert's advice is good, as usual.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
Nikki Young

Ok thanks! Maybe it's not 'yucky' just funny looking.. I'm about a week in now, and a couple of days ago it was frothing out from the top and water was coming out, thats stopped now... but now there's all this muggy water at the bottom of the jar and the cabbage is all ontop of the water, the top half of my cabbage is now not under any water.. it doesn't smell or anything, although my mum says it smells like aniseeds, this smell has gone now, i did put some caraway seeds in it cause my grandma said thats what she did back in the day, but i think my mums mistaking the smell for all my liqourice tea bags im now addicted too... mmm..
Anyway, does this sound right??
Oh... and i used tap water and i know thats not cool ;x
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
Robert Allison

The cabbage definitely needs to be under water, so you may have a problem there... Frothing is generally not a good sign either.

Here is a link to Sandor's basic recipe for making kraut:

http://www.wildfermentation.com/reso...age=sauerkraut

Almost everyone I know who has used this recipe had good success with it. I would suggest you throw away what you have & start over.

I know that Garrett & Greg have already mentioned kombucha, but I will give it a plug as well. Kombucha cultures are generally easy to find, and in my experience it is the easiest fermented food to make at home.

I'm not trying to discourage you on the cultured vegetables; just something else you might want to play with.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #15
Nikki Young

LOL! How can something so simple go so wrong...
I will throw it out and buy it already made i think.. i haven't been able to see any that say raw and unpasterurised though..

I've looked into kombucha tea.. My next attempt at fermenting will be with kombucha! And hopefully it will be easy and work out.. although, i don't know how much simpler you can get than putting sliced cabbage in a jar with water
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote