Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
R. Alan Hester

Default Starting Strength and GPP

Hello,

I have recently started focusing on strength, because, after a 10 year endurance fetish (e.g., long-distance running), I have lost every bit of it. I have been using Coach Rut’s workouts and some from Crossfit, but I lack so much strength that my times are horrendous. I am using Rippetoe's Starting Strength as prescribed, but I don't want to lose all my conditioning. Should I implement some GPP training on the off days in order to mitigate my losing the conditioning that I built using the Rut/Crossfit-based methodology?
I was thinking of using some of Ross Enamait’s stuff (e.g., ICT and minute drills). Any thoughts on my plan? Should I not worry about losing conditioning, thereby focusing all of my energies on strength?

Thanks

Alan

Last edited by R. Alan Hester : 01-29-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

I would caution against dropping in GPP work on the off days--very quickly you'll find you have no more off days and your recovery and therefore progress will suffer greatly.

If you feel you MUST continue doing GPP work, I would instead experiment with doing it on the same days as the SS training--after it. Start easy to make sure you're not overdoing it and then add more if you can. But keep in mind that by and large, an individual can only make remarkable progress in one area at a time; that is, if your goal is gaining significant strength, you'd be well advised to really focus on that goal and not worry too much about a loss of conditioning. In my experience, not only will your newly developed strength actually contribute to your metabolic capacity, but that conditioning will return relatively quickly to high levels. Using myself as an example, I've done zero metabolic conditioning for around a year (o-lifting only). I got suckered into participating in the CF prostate cancer fight gone bad deal--immediately after working up to a max snatch and clean and jerk--and my score was only about 30 points lower than my best score when I was doing CF fulltime.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
R. Alan Hester

Thanks for your reply, Greg.

I assumed that my wanting to excel in one area would require my full dedication to it; I just needed some guidance from knowledgeable individuals. As long as I don't develop a happy-fun belt (read: gut), then everything will be ok--of course, that is predominantly diet driven. I will return to GPP stuff when I hit some of my relative strength goals.

Thanks a ton.

Alan
Old 12-07-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

if you start seeing the happy-fun belt, you can drop in some quick intervals post SS work on a rower or bike (variety is good). neither of those movements have any loaded eccentric movement, so they shouldn't cause much if any muscle damage + soreness + recovery trouble, but don't overdo it. maybe 15-20 min max. mix up the interval periods too. but prob 1 min sprint max.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
if you start seeing the happy-fun belt, you can drop in some quick intervals post SS work on a rower or bike (variety is good). neither of those movements have any loaded eccentric movement, so they shouldn't cause much if any muscle damage + soreness + recovery trouble, but don't overdo it. maybe 15-20 min max. mix up the interval periods too. but prob 1 min sprint max.
Good call on the post SS intervals.

Thanks

Alan
Old 12-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Mark Joseph Limbaga

Remember you can't totally keep building GPP and absolute strength at the same time. if you want to have a decent level for both, that can be attainable, but if you want to focus on one aspect for a certain sport, you have to break down your training into periodized cycles
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Craig Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
I've done zero metabolic conditioning for around a year (o-lifting only). I got suckered into participating in the CF prostate cancer fight gone bad deal--immediately after working up to a max snatch and clean and jerk--and my score was only about 30 points lower than my best score when I was doing CF fulltime.
That's what I like to hear. That's motivation.
Craig Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
Russell Greene

I do 4 rounds of 3 days on 1 day off power and strength-focus, a few days off, then 4 rounds of 3 days on 1 day off metcon focus.

During the strength and power focus I do 5-10 minutes of metcon after each workout for maintenance, focusing on rowing, running, and rope skipping which don't affect recovery much. During the metcon focus I do a few heavy squats on the first day before the metcon workout to maintain strength.

This works for me, though you may want to do something that's even more strength and power-oriented.
Russell Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 AM   #9
Coach Rutherford

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Alan Hester View Post
Hello,

I have recently started focusing on strength, because, after a 10 year endurance fetish (e.g., long-distance running), I have lost every bit of it(deadlift:250; Squat:225; press:120 at BWT of 210lbs--SUCK). I have been using Coach Rutís workouts and some from Crossfit, but I lack so much strength that my times are horrendous. I am using Rippetoe's Starting Strength as prescribed, but I don't want to lose all my conditioning. Should I implement some GPP training on the off days in order to mitigate my losing the conditioning that I built using the Rut/Crossfit-based methodology?
I was thinking of using some of Ross Enamaitís stuff (e.g., ICT and minute drills). Any thoughts on my plan? Should I not worry about losing conditioning, thereby focusing all of my energies on strength?

Thanks

Alan
If your relative strength is down your times on workout challenges will suffer. Build up your base BUT as Everett mentioned don't drop your GPP work. You can do the WOD's on alternative days while rotating ME focus OR a 5-12 minute mix at the end.

Everett is stronger but he fails to mention the new wardrobe and food bill.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #10
R. Alan Hester

Mark: I think you are correct, as was Greg, that one cannot build both at the same time--science and experience seem to prove as much. Therefore, I shall build my strength to a respectable level, so strength endurance will be attainable.

Russell: Interesting cycle. It seems your post-workout, maintenance metcon workouts remain in the same vein as Gregís suggestion regarding my fighting the happy-fun belt (above).

Thanks

Alan