Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Brandon Enos

I have another question too. Over the next few weeks, until fall semester starts, Im going to have a sem-hectic work schedule (any four days during the week for ten hour shifts) so I might have to do a workout at 7 AM one day, anytime I want on the next, and then at eight at night another, etc., I know that Ill have to see how I feel and go from there mainly, but anyone have any ideas how this might create changes in my Fast-5/Paleo diet?
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Enos View Post
I have another question too. Over the next few weeks, until fall semester starts, Im going to have a sem-hectic work schedule (any four days during the week for ten hour shifts) so I might have to do a workout at 7 AM one day, anytime I want on the next, and then at eight at night another, etc., I know that Ill have to see how I feel and go from there mainly, but anyone have any ideas how this might create changes in my Fast-5/Paleo diet?
Do you get to know your work schedule the first day of the week or is it handed to you on a day by day basis?

It seems like that might be good for a light feeding/feasting template, for example:

Monday (workday)- workout at 7 AM, work at 9 AM - 7 PM, light feed 3-5 hours, sleep
Tuesday (non workday) - wake up 9 AM, workout 10AM, Heavy feed day 5+ hours), sleep
Wed. (workday) - wake up at 9 AM, workout 10 AM, Heavy feed day 5+ hours, work 8PM - 6 AM, sleep
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
Brandon Enos

Its both begining of the week and day-by-day. Since Im not full time, it can change up to 7 o'clock the night before. Annoying, but it does pay good, (compared to my last jobs at least). And the overnight ones wont be a problem, everyone wants them because of the pay bonus, so no one ever gives them up...

Ill give that template a try, worst case scenario, I drop IF for a couple weeks and focus just on Paleo.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #14
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Its both begining of the week and day-by-day. Since Im not full time, it can change up to 7 o'clock the night before. Annoying, but it does pay good, (compared to my last jobs at least). And the overnight ones wont be a problem, everyone wants them because of the pay bonus, so no one ever gives them up...

Ill give that template a try, worst case scenario, I drop IF for a couple weeks and focus just on Paleo.
For some reason I feel like keeping the IF would be easier to do than doing this type of crazy schedule without it. That way you don't start doing the grazing thing due to hunger for a missed meal or something.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
Mark Joseph Limbaga

Quote:
I agree with Chris Mike, nice find. Now if we could only get more people to realize it.

Thanks for the article Mark. I had a good idea of how to do the 5x5 from what I read on mikemahler.com, but its good to see information on a program at its source. And I definatly will have to change a few exercises. The bench aggravates my shoulders more than anything else (plus I never have spotters, so Im always scared that Im gonna drop it on myself). And as far as dynamic rows, not even 100% sure what they are, so I think Ill just stick to my pullups and chinups.
You can do dips in place of bench.

For dynamic rows, you can do a youtube search on them
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #16
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
For some reason I feel like keeping the IF would be easier to do than doing this type of crazy schedule without it. That way you don't start doing the grazing thing due to hunger for a missed meal or something.
Yup..Allen's right on here. Focus on simple simple methods..., reduce the number of variables that could screw you up. metcon and density work are going to make you hungry, sprints won't but the temptation to push it into longer session of intervals is def. there. until you are below 20%BF, I wouldn't worry about the strong medicine of stuff like afterburn, timed sets and the CF girls.. etc. just focus on the easy, steady approach....

Paleo diet, IF if you want to......

and strength based progression at least three sessions a week with a squat, a pull and a push.

5x5 has worked for a huge number of people, I thrive on lower reps with higher percentages so I'm partial to lots of singles or sets of 3 or ladders of 1,2,3...all have worked for me while calorie restricted.

if you have to have extra workouts keep them un-programmed and spontaneous....do active stretching, ab work and pullups or skill practice with pet lifts that are fun like bent press or dumbell snatches or whatever floats your boat. do not add in heaps of metcon or "cardio" leave before you get remotely tired and just warmed up. stay fresh for your main workouts.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #17
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Here's some other stuff to read if you're interested:

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...nts_thread.htm

Part II specifically.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #18
Brandon Enos

I guess this info brings forth a couple more questions.

I noticed that whenever the 5x5 on a three day schedule is described, Wednesday (or the second day) is always different exercises than the 1st and 3rd days. Is there a specific reason for this?

Also, could and should squats and deadlifts be done on the same day?

Basically, heres what I have now:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
A-1: (BB) Military Press 5x5
A-2: (BW) Pull-up 5x5
B-1: (BB) Back Squat 5x5
B-2: (BB) Dead Lift 5x5
C-1: Power Wheel Roll Out 3x6
C-2: Hanging Knee Raise 3x10

But depending on the reasoning as to why the different exercises and as to whether or not squats and deads can be done on the same day, I may have to change this.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #19
-Ross Hunt

JMO, but that still looks like an awful lot.

The traditional set-up seems to be something like this:

Monday + Friday
Back Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5 alternated w/ pull-up 5x5
Power Wheel abs

Wednesday
Deadlift 5x5 or 5x3
Bench Press 5x5 or 5x3 alternated w/ some sort of row 5x5
Hanging knee abs.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
-Ross Hunt

Or everything Rippetoe says. (work up to a set of 5 on a regular basis, just keep adding weight...)

I've put two guys on his basic plan: Like the 5x5, except you're just working up to a set of 5. It worked fine for one guy while he stuck with it... not so much after he stopped lifting. It's working well for the other guy.

I'd do something like that myself if I didn't have oly stuff to figure into the equation... simple, quick, progressive workouts that don't leave you beat up.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote