Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 12-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #21
Motion MacIvor

Neal
First off Lance is a freak
Second Lance does TONS of intervals all road racers do. It's the tri geeks, some XC mountainbike racers, and tons of "fitness enthusiasts" that try to get away with LSD only.
Third the big sprinters are only faster when the going is flat this is true for any sport. If sprints were raced uphill you'd find a lot of skinny guys with huge legs winning the races. Gravity is the confounding factor, or in the case of rowing water displacement.
I think the power ratio that the concept people use is flawed though because it asumes that drag on the hull of the boat has a 1:1 relationship to water displacement. If this was true heavyweight crews would be slower than the light weight crews, or there would be no real difference because the light weight crews would make up for the lack of power with greater eficiency.
I dont think Lance would actualy row faster than a big elite rower but he does have a higher power to weight ratio.
Funny I was just thinking that female gymnasts probably have some of the best power to weight ratios going for short bursts
Motion MacIvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:51 AM   #22
Coach Rutherford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Jones View Post
I don't know any hard evidence off hand, but this would be the first place I would look:

http://www.powerrunning.com/

A couple of random thoughts.

1 The only species I know of that does LSD are migratory birds and humans who wear NIKE. Every thing else does intervals.

2. Back in the 80's (stop laughing) I had a solid business coaching triathletes. This was BI (before internet) and BS (before software) I coached over 50 athletes with a spreadsheet I cooked up and a fax machine. I guided 8 athletes through the IRONMAN in Hawaii.

The big difference at the time was my programming approach. My template included lower volume and intervals. My athletes did a session of intervals a session of AT training and a session of mixed mode work. IE- Swim/Bike, Bike/Run...

Most were healthy, at least physcially.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:29 AM   #23
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rutherford View Post
1 The only species I know of that does LSD are migratory birds and humans who wear NIKE. Every thing else does intervals.
I agree that LSD aka "jogging" training is more an industry nowadays. Promoted by running companies. How much do the organizers/cities make at every marathon, half, 5ks, 10ks...etc every weekend? And we wouldn't need all those $200 spring loaded heeled shoes if we were sprinting. First thing I tell people when they come in is ditch the spring loaded shoes, as it only serves to screw up their proper squatting form and eventually their knees.

As for the early 80s comment coach....snicker....sorry I digress, I imagine trying to do a spreadsheet on the likes of a Comodore 64....How much fun that was I can not imagine. All I used mine for was "Pitfall" and "Pole Position".

Not sure how many people would show up for a weekend interval hill run! I'm in though.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #24
Robb Wolf

Hmmm...we had a kid that placed 3rd in California in Mtn. Biking (down hill) last year. He trained with us for 6 months and to my knowledge has won everything he has entered (I'll shoot him an email and see if he will wander over here and comment on performance). Now...these are shorter races so it may not carry much weight with what Motion was saying.

We have had several riders who are only recreational but have commented that the CrossFit training has improved their games. Typically they train with us during the week and ride the weekends.

I think this is an opportunity that was missed by CF at large, namely how does one take mixed modal activities to improve "YOUR" sport. Not how big of a CrossFit stud can you be...how can we apply this technology to improve your chosen endeavor? About a year or two ago a template was put forward by the Calhoon High Powerlifting coach. They were using some smart met cons to drive GPP and dial in body comp amidst some very good PL'ing prep.

In the case of a triathalete or marathoner, they could certainly benefit from some mixed modal activities, but not on the format of the Calhoon PL'ers.

I think Coach Glassman's definition of fitness is genius. I think it provides a theoretical framework for pursuing optimized health and a very broad performance base...but as one migrates further and further from the glycolytic pathway, with either a power or aerobic bias, programming must reflect this shift if one desires to be among the "elite" of that group and by his (coach Glassman’s) definition one may become a “fringe” athlete. I guess my point is that as coaches and trainers it’s important to put the needs and desires of our clients ahead of our personal biases. The reality is if folks aspire to the highest levels of performance they may not be particularly well rounded OR healthy.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #25
Greg Everett
Administrator

yes, but said kid was a downhill racer--completely different sport, more akin to motorcross in terms of physical demands (e.g. moving large, heavy machine around at high speeds), so the strength and power he gained training with us was definitely beneficial, whereas it has much less transferability for other cycling such as road or XC even.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #26
Motion MacIvor

Rob we are on exactly the same wave length.
BTW another reason I liked crossfit form the start is that it is perfect for DH no modifacations needed. I actualy I think it the most perfectly designed training program for dh racing ever. My Downhilling was fine this year it was just the long rides that did'nt go so hot.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #27
Motion MacIvor

who is that kid your training?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #28
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion MacIvor View Post
who is that kid your training?
Erik Erickson. Catchy name!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #29
Scott Kustes

Very Scandinavian

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #30
Jeremy Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Very Scandinavian
Being of Norwegian decent. . . I concur.