Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 08-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
In the meantime, McDonald's is merely providing that which we ask for. If parents quit purchasing it for their kids (and when talking about 3-5 year olds, it better be the parents in control of the diet), McDonald's will quit selling it. Personal responsibility trumps corporate morality.
All this talk and I am really craving a double cheeseburger with no bun....Mmmmmmmmmm......interesting note: 1 double cheeseburger w/ bun is pretty much exactly a zone meal for the average man....so you can live on $3 a day!

Side note...I remember when I watched "Super size me" with all the obese people chugging down soda and fries.....and then the one skinny ass guy who ate like 10,000 Big Macs (every day for like 10 years or something)...but he never had soda or fries...just the Big Macs....sometimes 3x a day....and yet, skinny as a rail.....
Old 08-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
Allen Yeh

Scott,

I agree with what you said partially but not entirely.

I believe Costco just goes along and does their own thing and I rarely see it trumpeting it's own tune, it may not be the greenest company but they treat their employees in a decent manner and at a decent wage while the CEO keeps his salary under 200K (not mentioning all the perks, but many CEO's make millions + perks). Where you have stores liek Wal-mart that don't pay full time employee for them to afford health care, where the Walton family is worth billions.

Kind of a tangent off the original topic but there are good companies, the thing is you just never really hear about them quite as much. It's hardly "newsworthy" is it?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #13
Paul Findley

Mike,
You may have had the same fries as I did as a child at McDonalds...you know, the good ole days when they were fried in beef tallow...talk about food crack...it kept me coming back, even through the shamrock shake years rofl.
Do they still make those or is it to racist?

Who needed a playplace (tm) when your fries were dripping with beef fat?
Paul Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
John Alston

Beef tallow and the shamrock shake are the only things that could bring me back to a micky d's and they're both gone.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
shamrock shake
Oh dear god....that in Boston area around St Patty's day.....I'm pretty sure it was mandatory and Oh so good......after that....who wants Carvel??
Old 08-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #16
David Aguasca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Corporate morality in a capitalistic society such as ours boils down to "what is good for the shareholders." To do anything but what is good for the shareholders is a breach of corporate duty. Many companies are adopting the "green attitude" or the "don't advertise to children" avenue, but these things have one goal...positive press = better feelings from the community = more sales = more for the shareholders.

Notice that no company adopts these measures silently. It never comes to light that, lo and behold, GE has been contributing millions of dollars to charity/clean energy/whatever and no one knew. Nope, it's always trumpeted in the media: "Our new goal is to source 25% of our energy from clean fuel sources. *big grin and wink*" Then everyone says "Golly gee, that big corporation sure is friendly to the environment/community. We should support them." Companies don't (and shouldn't) do anything that doesn't bring money to the shareholders...that's the American way, love it or hate it.

Basically, a company will do what the community views as moral if it will result in no loss of profit. If it does, you can bet they'll keep looking for a different cause to get that positive press AND an earnings boost.

In the meantime, McDonald's is merely providing that which we ask for. If parents quit purchasing it for their kids (and when talking about 3-5 year olds, it better be the parents in control of the diet), McDonald's will quit selling it. Personal responsibility trumps corporate morality.
screw that, i'm moving to france. see you guys later.

they have better climbing (and wine) there anyway.
David Aguasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #17
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguasca View Post

That reminds me of the preview from Rush Hour 3....

*Chris Tucker slaps bad guy*
*bad guy says something unintelligible*
Chris Tucker - "what'd he say?"
Jackie Chan - "I think he was speaking French?"
*slaps bad guy again*
Chris Tucker - "You're Asian stop humiliating yourself!"

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/rushhour3/
Old 08-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Funny how people are ready to jump on McD's for everything...but yet no one is trying to shut down Coke or Pepsi....think about this:

- The majority of obese people are from lower income brackets
- People eat on the go, it's just the face of society today
- Eating fresh fruits and vegetables and organic all day is not a valid option for the lower income bracket
- If they could still know how to eat correctly at a place like McDonalds then they may be able to turn their health around
- Is really eating organic food 6am-9pm as healthy as fasting and eating McDonalds 1-6pm....wouldn't your body more properly dispose of all those "toxins" we associate with fast food with periods of fasting

Dr Eades has an interesting article on a study with fast food and healthy foods...for the life of me it has way too many big words that maybe Robb can translate....but in the end, it basically says no difference between the sources and carbs are really the issue.
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=870

People need to stop blaming McDonalds and use their resource of cheaper foods to find realistic solutions for the lower income people....they are not going to go buy grass fed meats....so let them get a burger, skip the fries, get a water or diet coke and see if that doesn't make a difference to someone that only has a few dollars a day to spend....or just let them go buy a bag of rice or pasta and shovel the carbs in....great if you are landscaping all day...not so much if you are sitting on your ass at home.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #19
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguasca View Post

yea...but hairy chicks.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #20
Allen Yeh

Dr. Eades Commentary on the Mcdonald wrappers:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=887