Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
Matt Cricchio

Default Another day at it

Fasting period: 6pm-6pm, 24 hours. My first 24. It wasn't so bad.

20 minute run. Ran faster than run 6. I got about 3 miles in. I was feeling strong on this one.

500m CSS: 11:56
3 minute rest
500 m CSS with fins: 10:58
3X100m Breast Stroke sprints, rest :30 seconds between each sprint
4X50m Breast Stroke sprints, rest :15 seconds between each sprint.

I did my first 500m 22 hours into a fast, as well as alternating my strong side with my weak side. I know I can do 500m faster. I'm satisfied with my progress thus far. Kicking with the fins on the second 500m made my more hypoxic than without.

1-14 ladder, pull-upsX1, push-upsX2, sit-upsX3. 39:35

High volume ladders like this have made my max sit-ups in 2 minutes go up by over 30. I got 91 in two minutes the other day. Max effort (in the sense I do as many as I can to failure) have increased my pull-up numbers. Big sets of push-ups, like 6X35, improve push-ups. I'm not sure why. I am going to try to figure out some sort of plan for my next cycle to incorporate all of these elements.
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Matt Cricchio

Default Power Day

Feast Day. First one. Ate three squares and then called it quits at 6pm. I felt bloated.

BB ME LB Lift, Back Squats 5X1
185-205-225-235-240

I'm feeling strong and I am very pleased. I'll get hard at it when I cycle through these lifts again.

"Power Jackie."
200m row, 10 95# Thrusters, 6 pull-ups with 20# weight vest. 5 rounds, rest 2 minutes between each round.
1. 2:52
2. 2:38
3. 3:08
4. 3:25
5. 3:19

Power CF is hard. A lot of time was wasted on strapping into the vest. I need to dig down deeper when it gets tough. I need to be more explosive with my thrusters.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
Matt Cricchio

Default Playing catch up

I've decided to give fasting a break to see what happens to my energy levels. I think I am over training a tad and I want to tweak some things.

7/27/07

500m CSS all on my strong side- 12:44. Obviously I need to alternate sides. I was fighting the water too.
rest 2 minutes
3X100m Breast stroke sprints, rest :30 between sprints
rest 1:30
4X50m Breast stroke sprints, rest :15 between sprints
rest 2:00.
200m CSS, alternating sides and concentrating on stroke length- 5:48

7/28/07
Shoulder Press, ME BB 5X1
115-135-145 (f)-140 (f)-X

My right shoulder is feeling weird. I am going to drop black boxing. My goals don't require it, it hasn't helped me become better at climbing, pushing, or pulling, and I haven't gotten much stronger since I began. I might just be frustrated. You might see a come back.

15 135# Deadlifts
400m run
15 GHD sit-ups
19:37.

I really liked this WOD. Good stress reliever.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
Elliot Royce

I just checked in on your log. I'm no expert and about 20 years older than you but it seems to me that you're trying to do too much too soon. You must be exhausted. An O lifting training session is 1.5-2 hrs with plenty of rest between lifts and even then it's exhausting. These are very technical lifts which require a lot of coordination, etc.

You're mixing it all up with a lot of intense other work and fasting. If I read your log correctly, you're getting misc pains which may be a warning sign.

I would post to the broader forum in the fitness section and get either Greg or Rob to comment (among others). You won't achieve your objectives if you injure yourself or wear yourself out.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #15
Matt Cricchio

Elliot,

I think you are exactly right. That's why I've decided to drop the black box lifting and not fast for awhile. I'd been attempting to do this much for two reasons: I do not want to gain weight again. Being as fat as I was has made me petrified of being that fat again. It would be impossible to get fat doing as much as I am doing, but I still am concerned with any fat gain. I also figured that volume this high would mimic closely what I would be doing later. But I realize that there is a difference between a gut check and training. I need to train, not destroy myself.

Anyway in the future my training week will look something like this:

MON- long run, swim, high volume body weight work (pyramids, ladders, X sets of X reps)

TUES- Low volume CF work out, 4 tabata rounds of two body weight movements

WED- swim, sprints (100mX10, 200mX8, 400mX6, 800mX4...) Weighted Pull-ups, 5X5, 45#

THURS- REST

FRI- long run, swim, Weighted Dips, 5X5, 45#

SAT- CF, max effort of a couple of bodyweight movements (number of reps in two minutes, 3 sets of max reps, burnouts)

SUN- long run, swim, high volume body weight work (pyramids, ladders, X sets of X reps)

I am going to "deload" every fourth week with something like:

MON: LSD Swim, 1000m
TUES: 10 minute Cindy, 3 pull-ups, 6 push-ups, 9 squats
WED: 50mX5 sprints
THURS: Rest
FRI: Swim 500m
SAT: 100mX10 sprints
SUN: Rest
Old 08-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #16
Matt Cricchio

Default I'm back

Well, I've been gone for awhile.

Fasting on top of up to three workouts a day really did a number on me. I backed off for about a week and a half, did a week of soley CrossFit, really tried to figure out how to eat enough and now I am back.

Now I am going to do a 5 on 2 off schedule. I did this about 6 months ago and I found that the extra day off really did help me recover.

I am doing long runs and swim on mondays and fridays, swim/run sprints on weds, and CF tuesday and thursday. Monday and Friday I do high volume work of movements (ladders, pyramids, sets of X), tuesdays and thursday I do max reps or tabatas of different movements, and weighted dips and pull-ups on weds. The weighted dips and pull-ups at 2 sets of 10, I am starting at a light weight and moving up 10 pounds every two weeks.

This seems like a lot. It is. I think the main difference and deal maker will be not fasting, increased dense carb intake (fruit, sweet potato), and the extra rest day. I hope it works. Any comments will be welcome.

Today:

Benchmark C. 3.06 miles. 3-4 hills. 21:35.

I did this a whole minute faster than last time. I felt good.

500m CSS swim w/fins- 12:40. 200m swim with just hands.

I was supposed to do much more swimming in the fins but I wanted to get used to them (hips flexors and feet were burning hard) and finish "Total Immersion" before I did much more.

6X30 push-ups
6X35 sit-ups
3X10 pull-ups
3X20 dips

This was easy.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:09 AM   #17
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cricchio View Post
During that time I passed my PST. I am going to BUD/s after bootcamp. Pretty happy about that.
Congrats.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #18
Matt Cricchio

Thanks Allen!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #19
Sam Cannons

Congrats Matt looks like the hard work paid off.
Sam Cannons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #20
Matt Cricchio

Thanks Sam!

I planned poorly and had to do this one in the rain:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

20# Renegade Man-Makers
Knees to Elbows

9:56

Tabatas of rope pull-ups, GHD sit-ups, and ring push-ups had to be skipped. I didn't want mess the rope or the GHD up in the deluge.

Ah, backyard gyms...