Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post

It all get's so confusing...but when in doubt....less insulin good....more insulin bad....caveman health logic works every time.
Speaking of cavemen....

http://www.cavemanscrib.com/One.html

I can't tell if this show is just going to be absolutely abysmal as the critics say....or great since I typically disagree with all critics.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
Jordan Glasser

I've read, and re-read the advice a couple of times.
5'7"
weight 156-164 (can shift pretty easily) yesterday 162
bf%-estimated under 10%, I did some testing in school with calipers about a year ago. I measured 10% then, and would say at times a little lower, and times a little higher.

Job: crossfit trainer, & wait tables at a sushi joint
sports: mountain bike, hockey, skateboard, snowboard, hike, climb
workouts: Crossfit, olympic lifting, strength training.
I've been working everyday lately, and have seen my activities levels drop, as well as energy....but that's to be expected with little sleep
and yeah, I am calling this month caffeine month. Since I don't have a day off in site for the month of august.

I will reset my diet back to the zone, without the extra fat cals. I will put myself on 16 blocks and go from there. I expect my weight to drop to the 156 and below range pretty quickly, and will monitor how that effects my workouts.
As far as goals are concerned, they are all really results oriented. I would like to keep improving in sports, in crossfit, and in olympic lifting. I would lean towards being lighter and eating less. (I believe that this would be less of a cost to my body in the long run, as well as the pocket book)

I know it's important to let go at times, but I like to stay strict when experimenting. Living in whistler it's always a weekend, there's always someone trying to get you to drink, and once it touches my lips.......frank the tank comes out!

Thanks again guys,
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
Mike ODonnell

You'll do fine...just remember to eat for your activity level...and see how you do. It gets more fun once you get under 10%...then you have to start pulling tricks to get that fat off the body...as it is not as easily fooled anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Glasser View Post
Living in whistler it's always a weekend, there's always someone trying to get you to drink, and once it touches my lips.......frank the tank comes out!
Ummm...Yeah I will offer my coaching in person services if you need it from Sept-Feb...Whistler huh?....wow that's like brining an Irish man to a frat house....oh wait, I am Irish....it does taste so good once it hits your lips....damn....

another idea...switch from beer to liquor...like gin and tonic (no sugars like juice)...there is a reason they call it beer belly....and not liquor belly...
Old 08-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Ummm...Yeah I will offer my coaching in person services if you need it from Sept-Feb...Whistler huh?....wow that's like brining an Irish man to a frat house....oh wait, I am Irish....it does taste so good once it hits your lips....damn....

Some pretty good hockey out here....My team lost a couple players this summer, you any good?

Quote:
another idea...switch from beer to liquor...like gin and tonic (no sugars like juice)...there is a reason they call it beer belly....and not liquor belly...

I'm a vodka soda, or maybe shots of jack or crown........
Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Some pretty good hockey out here....My team lost a couple players this summer, you any good?
Depends on what is good....in Atlanta believe it or not it is good competition...all Ex-college and minor leagues at the top men's league level...in the summer usually do a couple pickup games with the pros too....who knows...I call the league I play in the minors for people who want to make money....aka have a day job....of course in Canada...everone is Ex-Juniors....hey at 35 I still put the numbers up on the board

Of course I know Jared B is out there lurking and will probably call my BS and say I am an old man with no hands.....can't disagree with that....I just have flashes of the past sometimes. Ha...
Old 08-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Of course I know Jared B is out there lurking and will probably call my BS and say I am an old man with no hands.....can't disagree with that....I just have flashes of the past sometimes. Ha...
Men's hockey thrives off living in the past. Heck, if we did it all for fun, there would be no leagues, just drop in!
Plus, it sounds like you could drink your way on the team, you're in.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
Jordan Glasser

Thought i would give an update, cause I am in need of some tweaking with the zone. I feel like I am chasing my next meal all day long. Like I am never full.
I am doing 16 blocks/day, and am staying somewhere between 1-2x fat. Now, if I up the protein, I would "feel" alot more full after eating.
When i just can't take the hunger I'll rip open a can of tuna and go to town. But, it's starting to feel like I need to do this everyday.
Yesterday I cooked a buffalo roast at 2 in the afternoon, and once I gave it a taste test, it was all over, I almost devoured the whole thing. On the plus side, I felt more full the entire day then I have since starting the zone, so I parlayed that into a 16 hour fast.
Just to reiterate my goals, I am really not looking to gain muscle mass, just hoping to increase performance.

what's your take on my next move?

thanks again,

Jordan
Old 08-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Thought i would give an update, cause I am in need of some tweaking with the zone. I feel like I am chasing my next meal all day long. Like I am never full.
I am doing 16 blocks/day, and am staying somewhere between 1-2x fat. Now, if I up the protein, I would "feel" alot more full after eating.
When i just can't take the hunger I'll rip open a can of tuna and go to town. But, it's starting to feel like I need to do this everyday.
Yesterday I cooked a buffalo roast at 2 in the afternoon, and once I gave it a taste test, it was all over, I almost devoured the whole thing. On the plus side, I felt more full the entire day then I have since starting the zone, so I parlayed that into a 16 hour fast.
Just to reiterate my goals, I am really not looking to gain muscle mass, just hoping to increase performance.

what's your take on my next move?

thanks again,

Jordan
Ditch the zone...eat more protein and have the majority of your carbs post workout. Zone is too strict and causes way too many cravings....do what feels right and performance will increase.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #19
Jared Buffie

I just stumbled on this today.

OD:

Yes I call bullshit. Remember the morning skate a while back (or did you block that one out)?

"I am an old man with no hands"

Accurate, if you add the fact that you can't win a faceoff. Your wheels have improved since you started the METCON stuff a couple of years ago.

On the other hand, you'd probably lap me at Blankets on your single speed.
Jared Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote