Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
Tony Ferous

Nikki,
I live in Oz too. I've never found a fish oil liquid i really like or trust the quality of here, so i buy the carlsons stuff from iherb.com and get it shipped over. Its usually very quick to arrive.
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
Nikki Young

I'm not sure that's why i asked, to see if it was a natural thing to happen or not. Let me know how you go with yours. I would get another fish oil if i could, the Melrose has synthetic vitmain E in it, which is something i try and avoid. But even on the net i can't get any (here in Australia that is), my only real option is to get some from overseas, but then it starts to get very pricey. Tony, how much does Calrsons work out to be including shipping?
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
Tony Ferous

Well i ordered $334US worth of stuff, shipping was $70.88, quite a large % in shipping guess, but the choice is great and prices cheap. I think it will let you estimate the shipping cost before commiting too.
For example, 90 twinlab ZMA caps costs $12.50, its criminally expensive here in Sydney at GNC.
200ml of carlsons fish oil is $13.14.
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #14
Nikki Young

Hmm.. actually it didn't work.. it went liquid last night when i left it out of the fridge, but then this afternoon when i went to have some it was all jelly again. Have i got dodgy fish oil, or should i just not have frozen it?

Thanks for the info Tony! I might consider getting some Carlsons in the future
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #15
Garrett Smith

I simply keep mine in the fridge with one of those "wine preserver" (rubber tops with a little hand pump to create a vacuum) things put in it.

If you use a solid dose on a consistent basis, I don't think there should be that much of a rancidity issue.

The consistency change is curious, and I'd tend to think it wasn't a positive change.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #16
Troy Archie

What's the difference between Salmon/Fish oil blend and Cod Liver Oil? I got confused at Costco so I picked up a bottle of both. The CLO is way cheaper but I see now that the Salmon/Fish-oil has the EPA & DHA goodness that's recommended, while the Cod Liver Oil is Vitamin A&D.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #17
Garrett Smith

Troy,
Depending on the brand, you can get all the good stuff (A/D/EPA/DHA) in cod liver oil by itself.

I believe that people benefit from all of those nutrients, especially those who don't get enough sun exposure on bare skin.

I've found it most efficient to get a super concentrated fish oil AND a super concentrated CLO...that way I can get all four nutrients in the least amount of oil (basically about 1.25 teaspoons).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #18
Elliot Royce

I'll piggyback on this thread since Garrett touched on my question early in the thread. I want to up my fish oil to try to deal with inflammation. I've got NatureMade capsules where each 2 capsules contain 432mg of EPA and 288mg of DHA. Reading into Garrett's thread, it would seem like I should be taking at least 8 capsules per day if not more (Garrett is eating a lot of omega friendly stuff). Does that make sense?

Does one need to space them out during the day or just gobble em all at night?
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Royce View Post
I'll piggyback on this thread since Garrett touched on my question early in the thread. I want to up my fish oil to try to deal with inflammation. I've got NatureMade capsules where each 2 capsules contain 432mg of EPA and 288mg of DHA. Reading into Garrett's thread, it would seem like I should be taking at least 8 capsules per day if not more (Garrett is eating a lot of omega friendly stuff). Does that make sense?

Does one need to space them out during the day or just gobble em all at night?
From your pills each dose is ~700mg epa/dha so 4 servings would place you at 2800mg's I think that might be a little low for someone of your bodyweight? Right now I'm taking Flameout but when I do switch to Carlsons I usually take 4-6 teaspoons which is 1300mg epa/dha per tsp.

I prefer breaking it up as long as it's convenient to do so. When doing flameout I'll take all 4 with lunch then with dinner I might have a Coromega packet. If doing Carlson's I just split it up, 1/2 now 1/2 later.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #20
Frank Needham

nice synopsis of fish oil here with all the research citations:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fis...atient-fishoil