Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
-Ross Hunt

Default Low-Rep Circuits for CV Fitness

Do any of you like to do multiple-set, low-rep circuits for cardio sometimes?

I got good bang for my buck out of these in the past and I just started doing them again, out of boredom and a desire to get in a little more strength volume at a low intensity. Keeping the reps low while continuing to do a lot of volume seems like it would have the potential to build up some CV fitness without messing with strength and speed as much as higher-rep cardio.

What I have in mind is sets of 5 wih a bunch of exercises for time. Yesterday I did this, for example:

5 rounds of:

5x Back Squat 100kg
5x Overhead Press 50 kg
5x Chin w/ 10 kg

I finished in just under 11 minutes--squats were light but I lost all coordination on the overhead press and had to break it starting on the fourth set.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
Robb Wolf

Ross-
I've played around with density training in this format before and really like it. Although Staley warns against using movements like cleans, snatches & jerks I find them very productive and fun.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

I have been doing the complex that Allen described in a previous thread that I believe comes from Alwyn Cosgrove. I am working my way up the weight with it and currently am using 75 lbs for all the exercises. I use it once a week usually Friday or Saturday. Last Friday I worked out with my BJJ instructor prior to class and we did this complex plus a four minute station met-con that kicked our rears.

Your complex seems to be a lot heavier than what we have been doing.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Ross-
I've played around with density training in this format before and really like it. Although Staley warns against using movements like cleans, snatches & jerks I find them very productive and fun.
I'll echo that. I 've just finished up a Bryce Lane 50/20 style density thing, power cleans and push press were an awesome low rep excercise (never did more than 3 reps in a row) Bryce says it works better with odd objects like kegs or sandbags or just a BFR. If you can't keep your technique on a clean tight you might try a hi pull or something. anyway, that style of density work is great sub for intervals or other such "cardio" type of thing.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Russell Greene

I have had very good results with Bryce Lane's 20 minute thing for squats in both strength and endurance.
Russell Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
Rene Renteria

Not that you asked for more circuits, but...: Although claimed to be for something other than CV fitness, the combinations in this article look interesting:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1677559
Combos For Power and Size
by Jeremy Frisch

One could try some of Rut's DB Moves, even with heavier weights.

I did some rounds (4 or 5, I forget) of ladders:
3 C&J + 2 pullups
2 C&J + 4 pullups
1 C&J + 6 pullups

which got me breathing hard (although that's not difficult these days, unfortunately). The reps weren't quite right (or the weight maybe), but I liked it. The pullups gave a small break to keep the Oly movement from getting too sloppy. I'd like to hear about any good combinations people are doing and how they compare to results from typical CF circuits (which always kick my tail hard).

Best,
Rene'
Rene Renteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Chuck Penzenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross Hunt View Post

5 rounds of:

5x Back Squat 100kg
5x Overhead Press 50 kg
5x Chin w/ 10 kg
i look forward to trying this one. i may replace oh press with 20 kg kb press due to lack of extra barbells. this will be fun.

this is is similar to pavel's 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps of 3-5 exercises principal for kettlebell workouts. i would love to hear any other similar workouts.
Chuck Penzenik is offline   Reply With Quote