Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
Scotty Hagnas

I find the nut butters to be pretty addictive, also. How many times have I filed myself up with nut butter, then had to stuff down more food when full.... I really need to make the mayo more often.

Troy: Big Salad is the best nickname I've heard in a while.
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
Troy Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I must guess that the insulin effect of almond butter's several carbs sure isn't anything to concern oneself about at all...
Why is that? Is it because there's so much fat and it slows the digestion process down?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #13
Jane Michel

i agree about being careful with nuts, seeds and peanut butters. for me peanut butter makes me the most lethargic. my workouts are terrible even 12 hours after a HUGE helping.

why do large servings of nuts and seeds especially peanut butter do this?
Jane Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:27 AM   #14
Steve Liberati

Been fasting every other day now for the last several months. A fast will typically end around 5 PM. I'll usually break the fast with a "Loaded Salad" that is loaded with your typical paleo fare. Somedays the salad will keep me filled for the rest of the night with a small snack a few hours later leading up to bed (ex. small serving of scrappled eggs, handful of pistacios/mixed nuts, or whatever paleo I'm in the mood for at the time). Other days, for whatever reason, the salad doesn't fill me up for squat and I'll follow with a nice hearty, balanced meal 2-3 hrs later.

I think that is what ultimately makes a fasting day so special (and effective). "Anything goes." AS long as you stay paleo eat you can eat how much your stomach desires. Listening to our bodies is KEY and there is no better time to be attentive than after breaking a fast.

On feed days...I'll eat my regular amount of calories which consist of paleo only foods using zone numbers.

So far this has worked great for keeping my performance up, body fat down, energy levels stable throughout the day and the rest of the guages we use to track our progress.

If we really are taking our IF model from our muscle bound, primitive ancestors who were free of the diseases that plague modern man today, I think the better we try to imitate there patterns, the better off we'll be. Think about - I highly doubt they ever worried about counting calories or concerned about the quantity of their serving, especially after running around all day on empty looking for food to bring back to their camp.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #15
Garrett Smith

Peanut butter is a bean (hard to digest) and is covered in aflatoxin (a mycotoxin that is a strain for the liver to process). That's why you feel like crap after peanut butter.

Or you could just say the Black Box told you not to eat it.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #16
Edward Friedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Nut butters are great before bed to get rid of the hungries without having any carbs...
Can a paleo adherent say, Amen ! I recently made the same discovery independently. A few times I've sabotaged my otherwise clean eating window with a starchy and/or sweet carb binge. While I can feel driven to munch and of course rationalize it as I march zombie-like to the fridge or pantry, I usually feel bad about it afterward. ( Swollen ring finger the morning after is an interesting-inflammation?- and undesirable personal post starchy/sweet carb binge symptom for me.)

Anyway, a few nights ago I "discovered" Cascadia Farms frozen organic blueberries with Organic almond butter, late in my window. Munchy fire extinguished ! Hooray ! The town rejoices ! The "experiment" was repeated successfully on subsequent nights. It will now be a staple when the Carb-Craving Demons attack.
Edward Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #17
Scott Kustes

I made a Paleo "cereal" that will fill up anyone. Unfortunately I had it before breakfast one morning and had a tough time eating my eggs and sardines.

Handful of almonds covered in almond butter with cinnamon. Then I poured half a can of coconut milk over them and ate it with a spoon. That amount of fat will put a stop to any craving. Or any desire to eat for the next 6 hours for that matter.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #18
Troy Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
On feed days...I'll eat my regular amount of calories which consist of paleo only foods using zone numbers.
Do you make up for missed out calories from your fast day?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
Steve Liberati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
Do you make up for missed out calories from your fast day?
Not really. I eat at least 5 solid meals on feed days which if you were to break it down probably comes out to around 20-22 blocks or so. Each meal I try to take in at least 40 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbs (usually a piece of fruit and some raw veggies) and aro 30-35 grams of fat. Of course this is never exact and no two feed days in a week are ever the same.

The numbers don't mean a thing to me, as long as I:
1.) stay strictly paleo.
2.) balance out my macros
3.) eat 4-5 meals
4.) focus on quality, appetizing meals
5.) eat lean protein sources and healthy fats

Hitting those targets, everything else pertaining to my diet usually tends to fall in place. Between work, life and training who has time to cook, prepare and weigh out food anyway?

Between eating "No limits" paleo meals on feed days and IF on other days life has become sooo much more convenient...not to mention all the positive effects I've noticed outside the kitchen.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
Troy Archie

I've been thinking about digestion and fasting lately. I've been taking probiotics during my fast window. My mind set is that since I'm giving my digestive style a rest, why not proliferate it with benificial bacteria to help out my immune system and help clean out my digestive tract...