Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Anton Emery

Default Scheduling S&C work along with BJJ practice

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking lately on how to effectively organize my strength and conditioning work, plus my BJJ practice. Right now my BJJ schedule looks something like this

Sunday 2 hr open mat
Monday 1.5 hour bjj class
Tuesday 1.5 hour bjj class
Thurs 1.5 hour bjj class

Sometimes i will skip monday or tuesday, but most weeks i try to go that much. Open mat is free time, usually we just end up rolling a bunch of 4-5 minute rounds with breaks in between.

In addition to this i like to work my strength and conditioning as well. I have been following a model similar to what Ross Enamait lays out in Infinite Intensity, four days a week training strength and conditioning. They are:

Heavier weighted conditioning
Max Strength
lighter GPP, something bodyweight based
Explosive Strength

My question is how to fit this all together. I am able to workout on my lunch hour, so sometimes i do that and then go to BJJ at night. My workout usually takes anywhere from 30 min to an hour, and gets done around 1:00. BJJ starts in the evening around 6:00. Sometimes in evening class i feel fine, but if it was a hard conditioning workout in the afternoon alot of times i am still kind of drained. I usually sleep 7-8 hours a night.

I am thinking i have a few options. One is stop or really limit the two a day workouts. Perhaps something like below.

Sunday GPP Morning 2 hr open mat Evening
Wednesday: Heavier conditioning, something like CF's Fran or Ross's Magic 50
Thurs 1.5 hour bjj class
Friday: Maximal Strength
Saturday: Off
Sunday GPP morning 2 hr open mat evening
Wednesday Explosive Strength

The above schedule takes me longer to cycle through the four S&C workouts. Plus maybe i dont get enough rest days.

Another option would be to stick to the two a days and make sure i get adequate off days. Perhaps something like:

Sunday 2 hr open mat
Monday Weighted Conditioning 1.5 hour bjj class Evening
Tuesday Max Strength Afternoon 1.5 hour bjj class Evening
Wednesday Off
Thurs GPP Afternoon 1.5 hour bjj class Evening
Friday Off
Saturday Explosive Strength

Another option is perhaps dropping a workout during the week, perhaps my monday BJJ class or a conditioning workout or explosive strength.

I'd be interested to see how other grapplers schedule their training.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

To be honest, I found CF to be effective when I was still training BJJ. I actually am of the belief that CrossFit is about as effective as it gets for combat sports of any kind unless you're A) Undersized for your weight class and don't/can't cut the weight to drop a weight class) B) Trying to put weight on, in which case you'd have to change approaches and diet.

CF, at least for me, is perfect as I can cross train my sport as well as my strength and conditioning. Remember that CF is a mix of ME and metcon with a large number of core-centric exercises, and mixed medium to long distance efforts.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Rob Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post

CF, at least for me, is perfect as I can cross train my sport as well as my strength and conditioning. Remember that CF is a mix of ME and metcon with a large number of core-centric exercises, and mixed medium to long distance efforts.
I agree with this. Your GJJ training doesn't look too intensive, so just go on the 3 on 1 off CrossFit WOD from the main page. If you start seeing signs of over training, you can scale the WOD's or frequency.

http://CrossFit Chattanooga Homepage
Rob Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

I think what you laid out will work for you as long as your recovery is really, really dialed in. You also could go with the main CF WOD as was mentioned by Rob.

I was having a conversation about this last night. I do the CA WOD and train anywhere from 1 to 5 times a week in BJJ and MMA. Mostly BJJ with the gi. Lately I have been shying away from additional BJJ training because I don't want to be in an over trained state and my focus has been on O/Lift performance.

I am also probably under trained as a strength athlete. The conversation I was having was am I an O/Lifter who does BJJ or a BJJ player who O/Lifts? That really drives how you schedule your workouts.

My answer, in short I don't know what I am. I am more than likely going to compete masters age group blue belt in some tournaments starting in June or July. If that pans out the way it is looking I will have to change my training to something more like what Rob laid out in the PM article.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I think what you laid out will work for you as long as your recovery is really, really dialed in. You also could go with the main CF WOD as was mentioned by Rob.

I was having a conversation about this last night. I do the CA WOD and train anywhere from 1 to 5 times a week in BJJ and MMA. Mostly BJJ with the gi. Lately I have been shying away from additional BJJ training because I don't want to be in an over trained state and my focus has been on O/Lift performance.

I am also probably under trained as a strength athlete. The conversation I was having was am I an O/Lifter who does BJJ or a BJJ player who O/Lifts? That really drives how you schedule your workouts.

My answer, in short I don't know what I am. I am more than likely going to compete masters age group blue belt in some tournaments starting in June or July. If that pans out the way it is looking I will have to change my training to something more like what Rob laid out in the PM article.
Sort of like what Greg said in his article about the 3 types of CF+Oly people. I thought that was really well laid out and I'm definitely a Crossfitting weightlifter as opposed to the other 2 types.

Quote:
Pure CrossFitter: The individual is a pure CrossFitter; that is, he or she is interested in nothing more than excelling at the prescribed workout of the day, which will often include Olympic lifts.

Weightlifting CrossFitter: The individual is primarily a CrossFitter, but is motivated to improve his or her lifting to a degree that exceeds the requirements of the WOD.

CrossFitting Weightlifter: The individual is interested in being a competitive weightlifter at a level that allows continued CrossFitting at some reasonable level.

Last edited by Allen Yeh; 12-20-2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added the definitions
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
Anton Emery

Thanks for everyone's input. I can't say i am any closer to a definite schedule. I am probably going to start training at Crossfit Portland soon, which means i wont likely be working out on my lunch hour, so i may have to switch things around a bit.

As far as BJJ, Crossfit, and O-lifting, at this point i guess i am a Crossfitting BJJ'er, if i had to put a label on it. But i would like to one day be some sort of personal trainer, so soon i am going to have to put more time into Crossfit and learning the O-lifts pretty soon.

Anton
Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Anton Emery

After rethinking things a bit i may just scale back to one workout a day. Use Mon Wed and Fri go to go evening classes at CF Portland, and keep Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun as potential Jits days. I may necessarily not go all those days, i need at least one day off a week. What i have been doing mostly now is working out hard at lunch, then grappling after work on some days. I just dont think my body recovers in time, and as a result i cant grapple as hard in class. I did Ross's Magic 50 yesterday at lunch, and at night had some pretty intense grappling matches. I was trying to hold this guy's back and could feel my arms and shoulders just going all rubbery. Extra conditioning sessions are obviously important, but i dont think they should impair actual sport practice. If i could work out early in the morning then two a days might be more feasible.

I am going to keep my regular gym membership for now because its cheap and if i want to workout on a weekend or some other time i can. The manager said i can move stuff out of the way and bring in my own bumpers to do powercleans, which is pretty cool.

Anton
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Anton Emery

Well its now August and i dont think i have come any closer to figuring out how to most effectively implement my Crossfit and BJJ training. My wife and i joined up at Crossfit Portland in January, so i started going there alot. I went to my Level 1 cert in May, a PM O-lifting Seminar in June, and am signed up for the NSCA CPT test in October. I would like to work towards training people, so i feel i need to put up decent weights on the basic lifts and have good metabolic conditioning.

I need to be better about planning my training. For the past few months i have been going six on one off, alternating BJJ and Crossfit. The trouble is i just go into CF class and do whatever Scott has planned for us. If its a gnarly workout then the next day i can't wrestle to well. I love the CF classes, but i think i need to program my training more since i have another sport to worry about.

I am going to try three BJJ practices a week and two Crossfit sessions. One session will more strength oriented, probably something like Robb's Push Pull Lower Body workout along with a brief metcon type finisher. The other workout with be a heavier metcon, perhaps something like Fight Gone Bad, Ross's Magic 50, or whatever else i can cook up. I think that combined with plenty of rolling during class will give me good conditioning for jits. I won't be a Crossfit monster, but that is not my goal.

If later on my schedule changes and i can workout twice a day i might try doing an additional workout in the morning and then grappling in the evening.

I'll have to see how this all plays out. I can still go into CF on other days and help coach but not workout.

Anton
Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
Derek Simonds

I think I have found my groove as far as scheduling. It feels good and I will keep doing it as long as I have improvement.

Monday AM Strength
Monday PM 2:30 BJJ

Tuesday Off

Wednesday AM Strength

Thursday AM Strength
Thursday PM 2:30 MMA and No-Gi

Friday Off

Saturday AM Strength / Met-Con
Saturday AM 1:30 BJJ

Sunday OFF / Active Recovery

I try and throw in little met-cons with the strength stuff and if I only get 3 strength workouts in I don't stress. I also really enjoy having three full days off. That has been the hardest thing to adjust to.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Anton Emery

Yea that looks like a good schedule. Enough days off, and plenty of time to recover for BJJ sessions. Crossfit Portland here opens at 6am, i should just suck it up and go in to workout before work. That way i could get in a strength or conditioning session on my BJJ days.

Anton