Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I think normal is highly overrated around here. I think that if you polled all the regulars around here you would find that we all use a mishmash of what you said for diet.

I have never been able to do the zone because of travel and lack of a desire to measure every morsel of food I put in my mouth.

Paleo is my gig. I am not militant but stick to it mostly. I will throw IF in for a day here and there.

When I was on the mass gain plan I was eating my brains out. I never really had a huge increase in mass but over the last 9 months I ended up losing BF and putting on muscle. Who can complain with that.

I also think Paleo is much easier to eat in an environment where you are eating foods being served to you instead of cooking / measuring everything.

If you truly are going to have a go at mass gain be aware that you are going to have to quit basically all your metcon. Heavy Weights, Rest, Eat, Eat, Eat and more Eating are the only way to put on mass.

On another plus side, it is said that after a stunt at mass gain you will get your conditioning back rather quickly when jumping back to Metcon....
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
Derek Simonds

I totally agree with Kevin getting your metcon back is a lot easier after mass gain then you would think.

Here is a link to Robb's new DVD about shopping and cooking for a paleo lifestyle.

http://robbwolf.com/?p=51

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Heavy lifting + sprints + good food + sleep = strength + mass

Starting Strength would probably be good for you.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
Mike ODonnell

All good advice so far...first ask yourself...which do I want to do? Gain muscle? Better Metcon?

If you want muscle: Dump the metcons, lift heavy, recover more, eat more

As mentioned before you can easier get endurance back after the weight gain. Eat as much healthy fats, protein and paleo carbs as you can. Forget IF for now until you really learn how to eat alot in a smaller period of time. Then add in just 1-2 days of IF. IF in the wrong hands or wrong eating will just lead to weight/muscle loss.

Make it a lifestyle program, eat healthy, recover and the body will respond in kind.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Ben Moskowitz

OK, my most pressing goals are to gain the muscle I lost and maybe then some, and to gain strength and power. It would be nice to learn/improve skills like muscle ups, handstands, and HSPUs. Eventually, I would like to be as lean or leaner than I was before, because I'm shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell
Fat gain is mostly spillover effect from additional carbs that are not replenishing muscle glycogen, so those will have to be monitored and changed. Have your higher carbs on when your muscles are the most sensitive on workout days pwo window 1-2 hours, and keep lower carbs/higher fat and protein on the others. Remember that muscles grow when you are not working them out...so don't try and do too much unless you know how to vary the intensity properly. That and plenty of protein of course.
Is this a gem of information I should be following? So maybe a breakfast of eggs, olive oil, and an apple on workout day tomorrow, and follow the workout with a bunch of sweet potatoes and some turkey? On rest days I just eat meat, almonds, and lettuce?

I was thinking ME + metcon for this week along the lines of the CA WOD, until I resume the Ruthless Gym program (which will be strength/power oriented coming up). Only problem is I don't have any semblance of Oly technique, percentages, or perhaps bumper plates, so it might just be Front Squat 5x5 or something.

Thanks again guys!
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
John Alston

Holy crap slow down. This thread gives me a headache. Every answer is met with more questions, the goals stated keep changing...
What do you want to do? Skills? Fence? Power and size?
If it's fence, talk to your coach. Power and size? Don't fear the fat - on your body, or in the food. Lean mass gain? It's tough, but Steve's idea of:
is very good. Add a random IF day for extra leanness.
But trying to do all of those will pull you all over, man.

Quote:
The question for Christmas dinner is whether to eat the whole cheesecake, or avoid it like the plague. I would be happy to do either, but I don't know what to do!
I have to assume this is a joke, right? Otherwise you're bonkers. Both responses are nuts. A whole cheesecake? If an upset stomach is your goal. Avoid like the plague? Treating minor issues, like a slice of CAKE, like a disease, is just as foolish.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
Ben Moskowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Holy crap slow down. This thread gives me a headache. Every answer is met with more questions, the goals stated keep changing...
What do you want to do? Skills? Fence? Power and size?
If it's fence, talk to your coach. Power and size? Don't fear the fat - on your body, or in the food. Lean mass gain? It's tough, but Steve's idea of:
is very good. Add a random IF day for extra leanness.
But trying to do all of those will pull you all over, man.

I have to assume this is a joke, right? Otherwise you're bonkers. Both responses are nuts. A whole cheesecake? If an upset stomach is your goal. Avoid like the plague? Treating minor issues, like a slice of CAKE, like a disease, is just as foolish.
OK I talked it over with the coach. The next month is going to be size, strength, and power with a few select days of metcon to keep up the anaerobic conditioning. Ex: Today was DL 10x10 in, out, done. He wants me to eat 3-4000 cals/day, with a boatload of protein, and solid, stick-to-the-ribs food.

Can anyone recommend a more dialed-in, maybe Paleo-inspired meal plan? Meal timing, etc? Meat and potatoes sounds good, but I feel like I have the discipline to do better.

and yeah... I feel like when in neurotic Zone land, the cheesecake seems scary. I have come to grips with the fact that
a) I haven't gained that much fat
b) I haven't lost that much muscle
c) Bulking up doesn't require asinine decisions about food
d) neurotic behavior = bad.

p.s.
I started a fitday log FWIW:
http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJourn...Owner=iMagnusX
Old 12-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #18
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Why would you DL 10x10?.. What kind of coach is this guy? That's a pretty retarded rep scheme.

Again, you should probably do something like Starting Strength.. hint hint.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
Ben Moskowitz

I've got SS 2nd Edition, which I love to read.

I dunno, I think he knows his stuff. I think this starts Russian volume training, and then we do 5x5, 5x3, 3x3... that's my guess.

10x10 resting 60-90 seconds made me suck wind and not think clearly, haha.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #20
Kevin Perry

The thing about DL are that they are extremely demanding on the body...

Mark Riptoe states that the maximum on your work set should be no more than 5 reps x 1 set....

I think you should just stick to SS for a while...and go from there.

Russian Volume training from what I understand is very demanding on the body unless your an experienced lifter.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote