Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #11
Robb Wolf

Yams, sweet potatoes for the carbs and nuts, nut butters, oils. Neal touched on this but there are certainly calorically dense foods that make getting that 5k doable. A can of coconut milk has ~800cals alone. You may need to up your carb intake to ratchet up your appetite. Paleo is just a tool to use if you want to increase phytonutrient intake and minimize allergen/autoimmune potentials. I think it is pretty easy to take in adequate calories on this plan, but if it seems too hard go a more conventional route. That said, rice pasta and the like are not more calorically dense than the aforementioned foods, but they are a fraction the nutrient density.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
Chris Forbis

Elliot-

I am not actively trying to gain weight presently (have to get my back working properly) but here are some suggestions.

1. 75% lean, grassfed ground beef. Can get it for about $4.10 a pound delivered (50 pounds). http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

2. See what Neal said. I really like coconut oil.

3. If you can find them, free range eggs. Nice protein + fat shot. I've read lots of positives about eating them raw: http://www.13.waisays.com/egg-yolk.htm

4. Not paleo, but unpasteurized, grassfed whole milk packs a lot of calories if you can tolerate it.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #13
Elliot Royce

Guys, thanks. I'm most interested in your comments on his plan. He seemed a well respected guy in the sports training community so I'm giving his nutrition plan more attention than I normally would. Still, he calls for 5-10lbs weight gain in 10 days followed by a near equivalent loss in 4 days, leaving a 1lb net gain of muscle. I wonder if that is realistic (and healthy). I guess it might mimic paleo feasting and famine type feeding. Do you think this is worth a try?

Chris - we posted at the same time. Grass fed for sure. I go for US Wellness and order 50lbs of 87% lean hamburger. Every day I take 4 patties out of the freezer and eat them. I'm going to just have to add more oil to everything. I do have coconut oil. On eggs, those are nice to have but they really don't add that many calories or protein compared to other sources. Where do you find grassfed, unpasteurized whole milk (I'm picturing a cow in my backyard)?
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #14
Mike ODonnell

Elliot,

I'd say that with a high calorie intake, 50%+ will be from fats for daily energy requirements, the rest is of course protein and fats. You don't have to go up 5lbs and down 4lbs to get 1lb of muscle. I like to stick with paleo most of the day, higher fats, and keep majority of carbs to the pwo window of 1-2hours. Seems to work well for me.

You can also look at the whole Zone with 5x fat, that will give you plenty of calories, but I think trying to eat zone ratios is such a pain in the ass. Or you can make your own like a Zone approach with 0.5x carbs, 1x protein, 3-5x fat and then add in a pwo meal high in protein and carbs on workout days only.

Endless fun....
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #15
Chris Forbis

To find the grassfed milk, you'll have to ask around. I had a coworker tell me about a woman that sells it...
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #16
Yael Grauer

www.realmilk.org is another way to find sources of raw milk in your hood, and then see if any of those are grassfed.