Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
Ari Kestler

Thanks for the clarification, so I guess all of this talk and the fact that most of my goals involve massive increases in strength would suggest I follow Rutman's WoD...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Greg Everett
Administrator

If you're goal is massive strength increases, you'd be better served by a genuine strength program, more along the lines of starting strength or similar. Even the PM WOD will do pretty well for that.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Ari Kestler

Was considering the mass gain template...
Old 02-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
Kalen Meine

Did you top out on Starting Strength after a couple recycles, or just got bored? I did the same thing the first time around, and CF was a kinda piddly experience as a result. So, I actually listened, drank my milk, got my sleep, and kept adding 10lbs and a drop set when I couldn't do that, and lo and behold, all the CF stuff I've attempted for grins in the meantime has been a totally new ballgame. How much do you weigh, how tall are you, and what are the ballparks for 5RM on the big three/five/whatever lifts? I mean, thus far you've listed strength goals, and admitted you're a wandering beginner. Maybe some time under the bar with the 5's and in the fridge are still in order.
Kalen Meine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
Ari Kestler

You bring up valid points. I don't think I plateaued before just getting bored. Maybe I should look into starting it again and giving it the attention it deserves. I'm 5'9" 170 lbs and my 3RM are: Bench 185, Squat 185, DL 205, SP 105. I have only recently begun learning cleans and snatches so I couldn't even tell you what my RM is for these... SS may be the answer for my Squat and DL numbers, I'm only interested in getting my bench up a little higher, not that much, I haven't benched in months and have been doing a decent number of push ups and dips so I'm not especially eager to bench every week or sometimes twice a week on SS....moreover I'd really like to improve my pull up numbers also so that was why I was considering a different strength program other than SS...one possibility I have been thinking about was SS and GTG pull ups 5 days a week or something....still kinda thinking things though...any other ideas are much appreciated.

Another alternative might be just doing the Strength cycles of the mass gain template...what do you think about that?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
Kalen Meine

Yeah, your assessment is, by my amatuer reckoning, about right- your bench is fine for a novice to intermediate lifter your size, but your squat is something more like a 10-rep backoff set than a max, and your deadlift is properly a warmup. Presses are weird, but they can always stand to get better. If you didn't gain a pound, you should be able to tack on at least fifty pounds on your squat and a hundred on your dead by just doing your fives three times a week. And assuming you're lean-ish, a little poundage probably wouldn't do any harm. Milk. Squats. Milk. Squats....

And don't be afraid of a big bench. It's only a problem if it's big because it's easier than squatting, hip at your gym and you chickened out of heading to the rack, which I suspect from the numbers might just have happened a couple times;-)

Pullups? Sure, everyone can stand more pullups. The days you don't deadlift, do three limit sets after everything. If you get 10 or twelve on each one, do weighted one workout, unweighted the next. And sure, do some on trees when you get up from your desk. It's just that pullups have more characteristics of an assistance exercise (albeit a super-functional and useful one) than they do a core lift, and they probably should be treated somewhere in between the two. Do more, don't wear out your back before you deadlift, and all will be well.

You're not really strong enough to be doing a heavy-triple, percentage-based program, IMO. 3x3 @ bodyweight isn't going to do much.

You mention you're just now learning the clean, and your squat and dead are low- do you feel comfy about the technique? I know the first time around I chickened out because the squats started feeling really heavy, and I got spooked, thinking my technique was solid when it was actually pretty sorry. Do you have the books and have you read them-and tried the experiments and stretches, and then read them again?

Squats and milk, my friend.
Kalen Meine is offline   Reply With Quote