Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Mark Fenner

Default Mr. Universe/Buddha Belly for OHS

Hello all,

Just a note that a friend and I discovered today. Say you've been doing Dan John's Mr. Universe Chest/Buddha Belly for depth in low squats with your arms in a goblet squat position. Eventually, it will get "easy". Try the same exercise with a broomstick in the OHS position. Everything is new again! Good Lord.

Mr friend noticed that my lower back was pulling around in the low portion of the OHS. I guess my shoulder flexibility was letting my torso shift forward and my hips were doing all sorts of funky stuff. Regardless, I was getting deep but I wasn't anywhere near upright -- I could stay nicely upright with goblet squats though.

On the other side of the coin, I noticed my friend could barely make parallel with a goblet position. We pulled out Universe/Buddha on him and his sister exclaimed ... I've _never_ seen you at that depth. Heh. I drug him out of the bottom and thought for a bit .... Why not try it with me on OHS. Well, it went the same way. I was able to sink and those hip flexors did that weird, evil thing they do when you alternate expanding your chest and belly.

Please note, all technical terms in this post are Trademark Dan John and MILF.

Regards,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
Robb Wolf

Hey Mark!
Dan is an unsavory cat but we like him...and every once in a while he is right about something! Keep us posted on your progress.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Danny John

Actually, we all hate Dan John. But, he is too stupid to notice.
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Robb Wolf

Dan, are you trying to patent self deprecation?

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

I always thought that self deprication is Mr. John's way of telling us he is either:

A. overworked
B. injured
C. back on the velocity diet
D. otherwise suffering from some malady

Thankfully, it is usually funny to read - It is too bad that Mr. John has to endure it.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
Pierre Auge

Hey, no way, self deprication is my schtick... I'm the only stupid one around here, and proud of it!

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Chuck Kechter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Dan, are you trying to patent self deprecation?
Or is that self-flagellation? Geez...

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
Ken Urakawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kechter View Post
Or is that self-flagellation? Geez...
Hey now! This is a family forum--let's keep it clean!
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Hey Mark!
Dan is an unsavory cat but we like him...and every once in a while he is right about something! Keep us posted on your progress.
Unsavory ... indeed. I'm quite sad I can't make the January training session in Utah; a friend's getting married in India, I got invited, and that's just about a once in a lifetime opportunity.

So, I'm working on an adjunct routine to my main strength training: basically ring chins and ring dips to work towards a muscle up. Along with that I'm doing some Mr.U/BB holding onto a pole in front of me to mimic the partner aspect of the MrU/BB setup Dan showed me (us). No, I'm not taking up pole dancing.

When holding onto the pole, it's important to grab up high and stand quite close to it. If you grab low, it's more like a goblet squat position (which I mentioned I can handle pretty well). So, facing the pole (or squat rack post) grab about shoulder level, or so. Then, go deep. Stay bolt upright if you can (back perpendicular to the floor) -- you might not be able to, but fight for it. Arms will be slightly in front (which is different from OHS). You'll know it's working when the muscles over and just to the inside of your hip prominence (mainly hip flexors in there; may get to some add(ab?)ductors as well). Alternating MrU/BB will get you low. And your arms are there to pull you out.

Another variation is with a JumpStretch band draped over your chin bar. Actively pull it apart as you go down. It will bounce around a bit so you have to fight with tension.

The key for me in both of these is to fight for upright. If I don't, I can round at the bottom (my glutes get pulled underneath) and I end up in a bad position.

Regards,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

For the people scratching their heads at what Mr Universe/Buddha Belly mean: (This is an excerpt of my little write up for DJ's excellent O-lift seminar from Jan. 2006)

1. "Break the finger" - This means keeping that bodybuilder chest, if someone attempts to put their finger between your arm and your lets you should be squeezing hard enough to have it be called "breaking the finger" In effect this is trying to maintain the "tri-lat tuck" but like he says "simple is better" and hey simple works for me.

2. Stretching into the squat position and goblet squats- Before you can o-lift you need to learn how to squat. As children we knew how to squat and then we beat it out of ourselves through "training." Squat down into a Goblet Squat:

1. Hold your arms close to your body with your palms facing up your forearms donít need to be touching, the bottom of your palms should be touching, so you look like if you are holding up a large goblet/bowl.
2. Now sink into your squat position, your elbows should be on the inside of your knees, not on top of your knees or on the outside of your knees. This is a goblet squat, now insert a dumbbell between your hands (you hold the dumbbell on the inside, the handle should be parallel to your body).

After teaching us what a goblet squat is, he then showed us how to get a person into the correct squat position by demonstrating Buddha belly and big chest. This is a partner assisted exercise:

1. Squat down into a goblet squat, have your partner stand right behind you, your body should be leaning on their legs somewhat.
2. Raise your arms above your head as if you were holding a pvc pipe in the snatch position, your partner will now pull your arms back a little bit (partners hands should be on your inside of your elbows.
3. Now, assume a big bodybuilder chest, now sag into a Buddha belly (meaning you push your stomach out as if imitating the Buddha), big chest, Buddha belly, big chest, Buddha belly, and one last time big chest, Buddha belly. Your partner now pulls you out of the hole because you will need the help.

The entire write up:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=2143229&bl ogID=78390459&Mytoken=24228227-D6C6-4BA9-B797B27947FB3ACC24226099
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote