Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 02-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
sarena kopciel

Well on this thought, I basically gave up nuts and most seeds (except flax and hemp) a few weeks ago! Last week I added back in some nuts just cause I was out and that was something easy to grab! Well one thing led to another and I overdid nuts all last week. Yesterday I realized how congested I was and how my digestion became sluggish again. My first thought (and my gut reactions are usually pretty precise) is --NUTS are going out again!!

For me, it is obvious there is a direct correlation! Oh well!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Brad Davis

Coming into the discussion late...

I guess I might need to change my fat source because I currently get a lot of fat calories from nuts, mostly walnuts, almonds, and macadamia nuts.

I have a question, though: Some mentioned digestive issues. I do not have even the slightest issue with digestion, that I am aware of anyway. Does this mean I'm ok with my nut intake or will there be problems elsewhere?

That being typed, I DO have joint inflammation issues. These have gotten much worse over the last year or so since I went paleo--actually had very little trouble with inflammation before that. (I've actually thought a little lately about going back to my grain-based processed crap food diet for a while to see what happens.) This coincides with increased nut intake. Are nuts likely to be responsible for this?
Brad Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Garrett Smith

Brad,
Have you increased your nightshade intake since going Paleo?

Also, the best ways to figure out any connection between nuts and your inflammatory issues is a blood food sensitivity (aka "allergy") test or complete avoidance & re-introduction.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
Brad Davis

Dr. G,

I really don't think I have increased nightshades and would guess that their amount is about the same or less than before. Before, I ate a lot of spaghetti with meat sauce, chili, etc. Now I'll occasionally have something with peppers or tomatoes, but I think it's less.

Well, being a poor PhD student near the end of my program, I won't be paying for allergy testing. Perhaps in August when I get a real job, LOL.

I stopped eating nuts yesterday and will try the avoidance test. About how long should it take to know if it's helping? I'm going to increase intake of avocados and olive oil. Other fat from high Omega-3 eggs. Sound reasonable?

Thanks
DBD
Old 03-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Brad, most nuts are higher in Omega 6s than Omega 3s. So yes, high nut intake can severely offset your Omega 6:3 ratio and lead to inflammation. Try for other sources of fat like monounsaturated(olive oil/avacado) and MCTs (coconut oil)/good Sat Fat (organic butter/grassfed beef). Make sure your meats are NOT grain fed (including eggs and farmed fish)...as they carry a ton of Omega 6s in the form of AA (which is the primary inflammation messenger), get Omega 3 eggs and grass fed beef. Also to get the ratio back to normal you may need to up your intake of Omega 3s from Fish oil. The only other major factor would be insulin, but if you are eating Paleo then you shouldn't have any sugar problems.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
Garrett Smith

If the issue was from nuts, I would think you could see effects within a week of strict avoidance.

When you re-introduce them, eat A LOT of them and pay attention to what happens for that day and the next.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
Brad Davis

Thanks Mike & Dr. G.

After doing a little reading today, I am thoroughly confused, though, and have more questions. It seems like there are three issues with nuts: high Omega 6:3 ratio, anti-nutrients, and allergies.

According to nutritiondata, walnuts have a Omega 6:3 ratio of about 4. Almonds are much higher and macadamia nuts are about 7. Avocados are about 15 and olive oil is about 13. Coconut oil is listed has having Omega 6, but no Omega 3 so its ratio approaches infinity.

Why are we more concerned about eating walnuts and mac nuts than avocados, olive oil, and coconut oil? Do nuts have more anti-nutrients and/or likelihood to cause allergies?

I will still try the nut avoidance because of the possible allergy and anti-nutrients.

Are there any problems with adding ground flaxseeds? (particular type of Omega-6 (AA?), allergies, anti-nutrients, etc.)

Oh yeah, one more thing. I've been taking FlameOut (opinions on this?) for a couple of months and it has 4600mg of Omega-3 mostly as DHA. Would fish oil above that be an ok idea?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #18
Garrett Smith

Brad,
If people are sourcing their meats right, not eating too many nuts/seeds (common in modern Paleo folks), and taking their fish oil, I don't concern myself with the O6:O3 ratios of food. That's a bit too Zone-ish thinking for me.

The anti-nutrient and allergy issues with nuts is a definite concern.

I don't think you need any more fish oil than what you're taking. What is your total EPA+DHA per day? As far as Flameout, I don't like the use of safflower oil based CLA isomers--better to get it from grassfed red meat and raw dairy fat, IMO.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #19
Mike ODonnell

This is why Zone addicts have support groups! Ha.

I just dont eat nuts for the most part....and I found I feel a hell of alot better. Now when I eat them I can feel inflammation in my joints more. So except for the occasional almond butter fix, pretty much my fats are mostly monounsat and healthy sat. Great thing about IF is I am not trying to shove 3000cal of fat down my throat. (Oh yeah, fasting has also shown to improve inflammation levels)

Ground flaxseeds can have some benefit, I add them in time to time. They are an Omega 3 but higher up the conversion chain. Fish oil as EPA/DHA is at the bottom of the chain. So alot of Flaxseeds downconverts into very little EPA/DHA. (EPA is the main inflammation blocker...DHA has more brain function benefits) But I know many arthritis patients who swear by a couple tablespoons of ground flaxseed a day. So what ever works for you!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #20
Brad Davis

Been out of town a couple of days.

Thanks again Dr. G and Mike!

I'm trying to strictly avoid nuts and go from there.