Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 03-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Mike ODonnell

Default Kombucha?

Anyone know much about Kombucha?

Quote:
Kombucha is the Western name for sweetened tea or tisane that has been fermented by a macroscopic solid mass of microorganisms called a "kombucha colony," usually consisting principally of Acetobacter-species and yeast cultures. It has gained much popular support within many communities, mentioned by talk show hosts and celebrities. The increase in popularity can be seen by the many commercial brands coming onto the retail market and thousands of web pages about this fermented beverage.
I found this at Whole Foods.
http://www.gtskombucha.com/kombucha.html
Was shocked to find it is "naturally carbonated"? Was even more shocked after i shook it up and it exploded in my car all over my lap. Sigghhhhh.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Margie Lempert

Only that I love it.

I don't think there's much more to know than what you've found. It's a great, cultured beverage that has similar benefits to yogurt or kefir or (real) sauerkraut. It is cultured from tea and sugar, though. A very small amount, but just in case you want to know.

The thing about Kombucha is that it's probably best to make your own... like sourdough starter. You make the "mother" and just keep feeding it. That way you're in tune with your local environment. And it's way cheaper than GT. Of course, I do like the Cosmic Cranberry. And the multi-green. The ginerade's delish....

There's also Katalyst Kombucha http://www.katalystkombucha.com/, which is a smaller producer and tastes more potent somehow.
Margie Lempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
sarena kopciel

I too used to be addicted to the GTs stuff, espec after every trip to CA where it comes from. When I managed a busy NYC yoga studio, I tried to get them to bring it into NY but that was a no go since they werent set up for mass marketing. Now it is all over so I wonder if they changed their bottling or reduced their standards somehow!!

Nonetheless, the stuff is great. When I was regularly measuring and monitoring my blood sugar, I did find the GTs stuff increased my blood glucose though so I would think that may not really be a good thing for some!

I like the taste too but I can tolerate most anything as you know mod!! The flax, hemp, fenugreek, milk thistle has become a staple now!

Anyway, I wonder if you bought it due to your fast and were super hungry!!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

MOD,
I like kombucha, although it doesn't work with some people's digestion. One thing I do know--don't shake it up!

Sarena,
I have heard over the web that GT's possibly changed their culture. It definitely doesn't taste as strong now as it did when I first tried it years ago, and when I used the new stuff to start a kombucha culture the mushroom was only half the size it used to be. Something has definitely changed.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
John Alston

http://www.latimes.com/features/maga...es-latmagazine

I like it to drink it. That being said, the above is a worthy read.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
One thing I do know--don't shake it up!
That advice yesterday could of saved me a 20min ride home in soaking wet boxers....