Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Derek Simonds

Default Jr at final AAU State qualifier

Of course I have to post the video for all my PM friends.

This was Jr's best total score. He has been inching up slowly over the last three meets. All three have been over 50 with this one coming in at 50.75.

Other than he had a hard time with his dismounts on a couple of events he really has improved in a lot of areas. You can see how hard he is working to remain tight throughout the routines.

His press to handstand on the floor had a little extra oomph from the toes but still I can't explain how proud I am as he has been working really hard just on that skill.

The crash mats under the rings and high bars were way too soft and all the kids were having a tough time sticking their landings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUZdakq2jLA

Three more weeks of practice to the big finale State in Naples FL.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Nice.

At first when I saw Naples, I thought why would they go to Italy for a state final...aduh.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Derek Jr. is doing a great job of helping me create routines for my own adult gymnastics work!

Those back hip circles on the high bar spin so fast when you're the one doing them...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Derek Jr. is doing a great job of helping me create routines for my own adult gymnastics work!

Those back hip circles on the high bar spin so fast when you're the one doing them...

Ain't that the truth. Unfortunately his look better than mine.

I heard last week that there are a bunch of proposed changes to the routines for level 4 and 5. Apparently the changes go along with getting more kids into the sport from the Olympics. I am interested to see.

Jr has been asking for a mushroom for the house and I have been stalling but it looks like based on the new routines they will be using them more. Might have to pick one up.

Have you tried any work on the mushroom?

I also have the notes from the judges for all the routines that Blair linked me to. If you want them let me know and I will email them to you.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Blair Lowe

Yep, every 4 years the routines change per quaddrenium.

There is a thread here on it.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5286

There is also one at drillsandskills, but I don't think it ever got anybody posting to it. Actually there were two, one for each revision.

So the changes are across the board for all levels. If I remember, AAU follows the USAG routines to a T except for vault and mushroom ( I can't quite remember ). Perhaps, AAU will adjust their routines per USAG routines during the quaddrenium change. Nothing says they have to. From what I remember, most of the routines are changing.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Blair Lowe

If you have the money, I'd say go get a mushroom. Actually, see if you can find out if any gyms are going out of business regionally and go on a shopping spree. Sometimes they might ship some things, but that probably would become cost prohibitive.

Another option is to simply build a mushroom. I've seen many that are made from those wooden cable wheel spools. Get some vinyl, some injecting foam, and perhaps something dome-ish ( I've heard that some sort of farming store might have something ).

Circles really are the key to pommel, especially past level 4. It's one of the make or break skills in level 5. I would also set up a bucket at home. you can simply tie up some rope and a bucket or you can get more involved than that with a caribeener and bolting an O ring to the bucket. You can either line the bucket with carpet or simply wear long socks or get a bucket boot ( nothing like rubbing off the skin and feet hair ).

And if he's training for Level 5, I reccomend a set of floor parallettes so he can get used to a handstand on parallel bars. And while you're at it, a set of Sommer rings, two ab wheels, bunch of bands, a rope, ...hahah I'm kidding. Well maybe.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 AM   #7
Greg Woods

Congratulations to Jr.! His cartwheels are smoother than last video and it's great he's progressed from headstands to handstands. Training is really paying off.
Greg Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Derek,
I got my mushroom from a guy off Craigslist. Bought the bucket, rope, and swivel at Ace Hardware.

Since I finally got my garage gym cleaned up and arranged last weekend, leaving the 5-foot radius around the swivel point (according to the CFJ article), I'll let you know how the mushroom is working out soon.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
Derek Simonds

Man I love Craigslist. I will keep my eyes peeled for a mushroom. Luckily I have most of the other stuff already Don't tell the wife.

Blair, Jr competes both USAG and AAU. I think that the kids don't know that there is a difference in their routines (referencing what you wrote on gymnasticsbodies). The whole team scored lower on P-Bars than they did at the last USAG meet so maybe they are doing it slightly different.

Yeah the biggest change that I heard in the new routines was that pommel goes completely away and it is all mushroom. I will read up on those threads.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
Blair Lowe

For Level 4 yes. I see no reason for him to train level 4 again unless it's to get on the podium or he does not have his skills. Not my program though.

They could be getting deducted for that extra swing. That's .3 right there per swing.

See, I thought about the last night and personally I'd hate competing each during the same time frame. Especially with little guys. I was just thinking about it since I've never heard of AAU meets in Norcal.