Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Like already discoursed about...animals stretch usually after being sedentary...which according to my dogs is an all day event....but then again I've seen her go from laying asleep to a full sprint to chase a squirell and never came up short holding her hammies....

Anyways....stretching before workouts/sports I would never recommend as you are creating muscle tears and will most likely reduce performance and increase risk of injury due to joint instability and muscle imbalances....active warmups with increasing dynamic movements to increase ROM & body temperature and quick burst of movement to increase CNS activation...I would always suggest.

In the end...if you pull a muscle chances are it's not solely because of tightness but antagonistic muscle imbalances that create the issue in the first place.

Isn't it a matter of degrees Mike? I know a lot of people find a combo of mobilty work and light streching to be essential to their warm up. I lean a little more towards the mobilty side of things but I a lot of big guys aI know, 285 plus, really see to thrive on actual static strechting. I know the recent scienctificals may suggest otherwise but I see it work for a lot of people in varying degrees.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Isn't it a matter of degrees Mike? I know a lot of people find a combo of mobilty work and light streching to be essential to their warm up. I lean a little more towards the mobilty side of things but I a lot of big guys aI know, 285 plus, really see to thrive on actual static strechting. I know the recent scienctificals may suggest otherwise but I see it work for a lot of people in varying degrees.
Of course it is all matter of degrees. I would even bet there is a direct relationship to increased amount of muscle to increase in muscle tightness....kind of like more muscle means more tension and forces applied to any movement....which could also translate into more chance of injury as directly proportional to the increased force output of those muscles. But that is not to say that a person may not also be deficient in Magnesium which helps muscles to relax, dehydrated, or overtrained so muscles are not recovered 100%. There are alot of individualistic qualities to it.

In the end...the old saying goes...if it works for you....stick with it. That and there is no down side to yoga if the class is all women in tights.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #13
Tom Rawls

Quote:
I would even bet there is a direct relationship to increased amount of muscle to increase in muscle tightness....kind of like more muscle means more tension and forces applied to any movement....
That sounds like the old theory that if you lift weights you get "muscle bound."
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
That sounds like the old theory that if you lift weights you get "muscle bound."
Who knows...but I personally notice less injuries of pulled muscles over the years playing sports directionally proportional to the leaner I am and the less I workout. Could also be due to improved dietary intake (and also less calories w/ IF) and less inflammation as well.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
Eric Kerr

Quote:
Like already discoursed about...animals stretch usually after being sedentary...which according to my dogs is an all day event....but then again I've seen her go from laying asleep to a full sprint to chase a squirell and never came up short holding her hammies....

I think this is at least partially because animals don't suffer from over thinking.

If they decide they are going to do something they do it full on. Which is why pound per pound, animals seem so much stronger than humans. They don't hold back.

Unlike humans which think about things like watching the ground to make sure they don't step in hole, or how dinner last night is sitting a little awkwardly, or a myriad of other inconsequential things that result in mind and body getting out of sync.
Eric Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #16
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kerr View Post
I think this is at least partially because animals don't suffer from over thinking.

If they decide they are going to do something they do it full on. Which is why pound per pound, animals seem so much stronger than humans.
They are stronger. To look at our closest genetic relatives, the smaller chimps, they are stronger, simply due to more powerful muscles. Their muscles can produce more force, their tendons can handle it, and there is no psychological element to enter in.
Hominids chose the smart but slower, weaker route evolutionarily.
Quote:
It's a lot easier to get a chimp in roller skates than it is to get him to pump iron--hence, most of the data on chimp strength is anecdotal and decidedly unscientific.
In tests at the Bronx Zoo in 1924, a dynamometer--a scale that measures the mechanical force of a pull on a spring--was erected in the monkey house. A 165-pound male chimpanzee named "Boma" registered a pull of 847 pounds, using only his right hand (although he did have his feet braced against the wall, being somewhat hip, in his simian way, to the principles of leverage). A 165-pound man, by comparison, could manage a one-handed pull of about 210 pounds.
Even more frightening, a female chimp, weighing a mere 135 pounds and going by the name of Suzette, checked in with a one-handed pull of 1,260 pounds. (She was in a fit of passion at the time; one shudders to think what her boyfriend must have looked like next morning.) In dead lifts, chimps have been known to manage weights of 600 pounds without even breaking into a sweat. A male gorilla could probably heft an 1,800-pound weight and not think twice about it.