Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Nutrition Logs

Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #11
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Cori;

Female cals definitly might be diff then male, so I'll concede the 1300-1500 range for an active female looking to drop some BF, but still stay strong and gain some lean mass.

w/f/s
Check out Lyle's new blog post simple way of finding total cals.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/2008/04/21/qa-4/
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #12
Darryl Shaw

Cori, I realize that you're only a few days into your new paleo diet and changing habits takes time but so far you seem to be eating the same meals with only minor variations each day.
It's been estimated that paleolithic hunter-gatherers regulary made use of over 100 different plant foods and it's this variety of plants foods that you should be aiming for in your diet as it's the only way of ensuring that you're getting the widest variety of phytonutrients available.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
cori rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Cori, I realize that you're only a few days into your new paleo diet and changing habits takes time but so far you seem to be eating the same meals with only minor variations each day.
It's been estimated that paleolithic hunter-gatherers regulary made use of over 100 different plant foods and it's this variety of plants foods that you should be aiming for in your diet as it's the only way of ensuring that you're getting the widest variety of phytonutrients available.
I appreciate the input, and if it were up to me, I'd be utilizing EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN (and earth I guess) in regard to variety, but I don't have the opportunity to do that at this time. As I said before, I'm deployed and using every resource I can possibly imagine JUST to get the stuff I'm getting now. Sure, I could eat the crappy chili-mac and "questionable meat fried steak" for variety, but I'm NOT prepared to do that. For now, I'm just gonna have to suck it up and get what I can.
After these two weeks on the paleo/zone, I might try something else for two weeks and see how they compare. Right now, I'm feeling good with my meals and like getting a ton of veggies (despite the lack of options or variety). Like I said, I was shocked when I plugged the food into FITDAY and got those cals. I was expecting something along the lines of 1700+. I enjoy the input though, thanks.
cori rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
cori rock

22 APR

Excerpt from Lyles blog mentioned above by Allen…
“Females, by dint of their smaller size usually have to accept lower rates of fat loss without truly heroic efforts. Two pounds per month true fat loss may be all that’s realistically achievable. Sucks, huh?”
Really sucks….I hope my efforts are heroic =) ha

B: 5 blocks
2 c tomato
1 c carrot
1 c celery
½ c olives
1 tsp olive oil
5 oz chicken breast
20 almonds
1 orange

CF WOD

L: 4 blocks
1 c lettuce
1/2 c tomato
1 c broc (cooked)
4 oz polish sausage (lot of fat so counting as part fat blocks too)
10 almonds
1 oz rasins

D: 4 blocks
4 eggs
1 c mixed veggies
orange
15 almonds

ate a lot today....was hungry horse this morning and felt hungry all day so I ate a little more. WODs are still going strong!! yeay
Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #15
Steve Liberati

Quote:
But these tend to be the exception more than the rule so 14-16 cal/lb for maintenance and 10-12 cal/lb for fat loss work as simple and effective starting points. Since they have to be adjsuted based on real-world changes anyhow, I don’t find that using more complicated equations adds very much unless you’re just trying to impress your clients with your math abilities.
Doesn't get much simpler than that. In fact, my bodyweight multiplied by 10 gives me the total number of calories (approx) that I'm consuming according to Zone standards. Of course, finding your total calories doesn't take into account the major variables that determine daily energy expenditure, but its a pretty darn good starting point to start at.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #16
cori rock

23 APR

Woke up this morning feeling good, not as hungry as I felt the previous two days. So far, the only problem I’ve had for this is this “watery” feeling in my gut from all the veggies. Does anyone else get this feeling while on paleo? Does my body just have to get used to it or what?? The only neg impact I’ve seen in regard to my workouts is the lack of pushing my cardio. I feel like if I do push myself, I’m closer to puking that before (because of the “watery” gut). If anyone has input, would like to clear this up.

B: 4 blocks
1 c tomato
1 c carrot
1 c celery
¼ c olives
1 tsp olive oil
4 oz pork loin
10 almonds
1 orange

CF REST  Did some cardio (see above pukie feeling)

1 c lettuce
1 c tomato
1 c cucumber
4 oz chicken
¼ c sunflower seeds
rasins

4 eggs
2 apples (whoa, ha)
15 almonds
Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
cori rock

24 APR
1 c tomato
1 c carrot
1 c cucumbers
1 c celery
¼ c olives
1 tsp olive oil
4 oz chicken
10 almonds
2 apples (ah….they were separated by about 2 hours but yes, it’s true….craving more fruit…..)

CF wod

1 c lettuce
1 c tomato (cooked)
2 c broc/ cauliflower (cooked)
4 oz chicken
6 walnuts

4 eggs
1 apple
20 almonds

WS HUNGRY ALL DAY TODAY. IT WAS CRAZY
Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #18
Darryl Shaw

Cori, the “watery gut" feeling is probably due to the change in the type of fibre you're eating and it should settle down once your intestinal flora get used to their new diet. I suspect that the reason you're feeling hungry all day and craving fruit is because your glycogen stores are depleted after a week or two of low carb veggies so try adding some starchy carbohydrates to your diet and see how you feel.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
cori rock

25 APR

2 c lettuce
1 c tomato
1 c cucumbers
4 oz pork chop
10 almonds
apple

CF wod

2 c lettuce
1 c tomato
1 c carrot/celery
¼ c olives
4 oz chicken
1 tsp olive oil
15 almonds
banana

4 eggs
1 orange
20 almonds
Cookie (I WAS FORCED!!! Ha)

Today, not as hungry in the AM but my first meal was not as filling as it usually is and again was hungry the majority of the day. My energy has been horrible the last couple days and I don’t feel like working out (usually I can’t wait for my workouts). Concentration also seems off the last couple days. I’m thinking about adding some oatmeal in the mornings (know it’s not paleo but I’m needing something).
Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
cori rock

I'm slacking on the posts, just slammed with work and didn't have the time to write out everything, BUT, I stuck to my previous week postings in regards to portions, etc.
One change was that i had oatmeal (plain with cinnamon, a banana, and protien powder) two days ago and it was AMAZING for my energy level. I felt like I could have ran a marathon (though I'm sure I couldn't!! ha).
So, future plan is to stick with I've been eating..veggie heavy with optial amounts of fat, protien, and fruits with an addition of a little carb kick every couple days. I was wondering what people thought of the PWO carb load and if anyone really likes it or if that's just for heavy trainers. I've never tried it but with my hectic schedule and sometimes 2 daily workouts, I feel like I might need that little extra......Not sure if it's my body needing it, or just me wanting it......
So far, I've been happy with the results, I've lost 5 lbs (probably some water weight) and feel good.