Matt Lawson

k. thanks.
Matt Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #22
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lawson View Post
k. thanks.

Didn't mean to be glib but the reality is that 80% of what you need to know you already do. To build muscle you must get stronger. work on strenght, eat like you mean it, do some mobility/flexibilty stuff and everything else will flow from that.

more weight on the bar over time is what it's about. sets and reps don't make a huge difference Do sets of 3 or 5, 8 whatever. Stick to the basics. lift heavy, lift often and with excellent form. If you can do this with 3-5 basic excercises, 3-5 times a week you're on your way.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #23
Matt Lawson

i didn't think you were being glib. I don't have much on an outlet to talk about this sort of stuff outside of this forum so i may tend to ask questions that aren't necessary. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
Mike ODonnell

Matt you don't need constant failure...as you will never recover in time for the next workout and see increases in strength.

Like Dave said...lift in reps of 5-10 reps and make it hard. Also depends on how much you workout. The SS method is good to get the strength up (as we can see strength is vital to so many things). You can play with the rep numbers but too much too often will just lead to no muscle gain and strength loss. Train smart, train hard. Keep asking questions.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #25
Matt Lawson

Thats what i meant by near failure. I generally don't go to failure unless it sneaks up on me.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lawson View Post
Thats what i meant by near failure. I generally don't go to failure unless it sneaks up on me.
Most strength sessions will let you walk the next day (aka legs are destroyed)....if you can't walk then you did too much....or will need 7 days to fully recover. Hence why you don't want failure because it allows you to train more often which is essential for increasing strength. That's why people take steroids...to train more often and get bigger stronger muscles.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #27
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Most strength sessions will let you walk the next day (aka legs are destroyed)....if you can't walk then you did too much....or will need 7 days to fully recover. Hence why you don't want failure because it allows you to train more often which is essential for increasing strength. That's why people take steroids...to train more often and get bigger stronger muscles.
Failure like soreness is an overrated element of training. occasional forays won't kill you but it's not very productive.

same thing but to a lessor degree with soreness. Soreness is like the weather. Don't pay too much attention to it. Don't pursue it but don't avoid it either.

if it's just rainy, suck it up an go out anyway. if its a blizzard, set your ass down.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #28
Matt Lawson

Dave, i love the analogy.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #29
Justin Fricke

Has anyone ever tried the PM mass gain with the Metcon? Or is that not a good mix? would i just need to tone the Metcon for the day.
Justin Fricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #30
Derek Weaver

Justin,
No metcon. Eat hard, eat (pretty) clean, lift heavy, sleep a lot and you'll grow.

The old addage that many around here have hammered home still holds true: Muscles grow when they rest, not when they work. Lift heavy, then go eat, eat again, eat more, sleep, repeat.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote