Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 05-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Jane Michel

Tirzah is at 8%?!
Off-track a bit but Tirzah! You have to tell me some of your secrets now because I'm 5'4, 119lb and have been stuck at 19% for 1.5 months.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I have a hunch that deficient thyroid function is at the root of those who do not respond favorably to IF, especially with the slowed metabolism that has physically obvious signs. First place I would start is with an urine iodine test. Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to facilitate this.

Maybe why I failed with longer IFing at a certain point??
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #13
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarena kopciel View Post
Maybe why I failed with longer IFing at a certain point??
Never know...everyone is different..and longer is not better in many cases. May be other hormones at work.

Could also be a liver issue...as that is basically tied to many things including fat burning....drink your water with lemon...take some milk thistle. A happy liver makes a happy body....in general. (as it also helps to convert T4 to T3...otherwise known as the thyroid based metabolism)
Old 05-02-2008, 04:02 AM   #14
Tirzah Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Zhuang View Post
Tirzah is at 8%?!
Off-track a bit but Tirzah! You have to tell me some of your secrets now because I'm 5'4, 119lb and have been stuck at 19% for 1.5 months.
8%?!?! Not hardly! I'd feel horrible at 8%, guaranteed! LOL. I'm probably somewhere in the low 20s, percentage-wise. I think when I punched my measurements into the various calculators, it was anything from 21% to 24% depending on whose version I used. In other words, arms look fine, ass doesn't.
Tirzah Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #15
Jane Michel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
8%?!?! Not hardly! I'd feel horrible at 8%, guaranteed! LOL. I'm probably somewhere in the low 20s, percentage-wise. I think when I punched my measurements into the various calculators, it was anything from 21% to 24% depending on whose version I used. In other words, arms look fine, ass doesn't.
lol! Out of curiosity, what is your diet like and what are your lifts like? Do you do just the CF main page WOD? Females are rare enough let alone one the same height and about the same weight and BF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
- Eat the right foods for the right hormonal responses for fat burning
- Eat less calories to have a deficit daily
- Drink only water with lemon (no diet drinks)
- Don't overtrain...more is not better
- Keep a slower aerobic based active lifestyle (walking, hiking, etc...what does not promote excessive cortisol and muscle breakdown and can be done on a lower cal diet...jogging is not it)
- Lower carb/Mod protein and fat eating works best....for a reason
- Keep workouts short and intense 2-3x a week
- Enjoy your meals and if you need a "cheat" meal once a week...then do it...but once you eat for health and not emotional needs and wants...you may not need this...it's more a mental thing so you don't feel deprived...but it doesn't hit the key reason of food should be viewed for health first
- Eat for your hunger...if it's all the right foods you won't gain weight...if it's the wrong foods you WILL
- Eat healthy for fat loss before you even start attempt something like IF...as IFOC (IF on crap) will not work
- Remember slow and steady wins the race and looks the best! Quick solutions do nothing for lifestyle habbits (the danger of ANY diet)...and usually lead to a high % of people just gaining it all back
Mike, when people start plateauing with Paleo/IF, does anything about IF need to be changed? A couple of weeks ago I asked about feeling too cold on IF and after a few overfeeds and all-day eating I think I'm out of hyperthyroidism. I've gained strength training with the rings but my body doesn't seem to want to drop any more bodyfat.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #16
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Mike, when people start plateauing with Paleo/IF, does anything about IF need to be changed? A couple of weeks ago I asked about feeling too cold on IF and after a few overfeeds and all-day eating I think I'm out of hyperthyroidism. I've gained strength training with the rings but my body doesn't seem to want to drop any more bodyfat.
I think anything will plateau if no protocols are changed along the way. What kind of IF schedule do you keep? Personally I like the M-F more stricter version...and weekends eat all day...or however you want. Get more calories in on the weekend. Also make sure you are getting enough in during your feeding window....as IF is not about going too low on calories. I believe you meant "hypo"thyroidism (low)...although that seems more like too low calories, as you will get the same effect eating low calories all day long. There's lots of factors involved including liver health (as that makes the enzyme that helps convert T4 to T3) and adrenals too. I found my hands and feet got colder when I drank more coffee on IF....so it seemed to be more related to adrenal activity (overworked adrenal function?) and not the thyroid directly...just my personal observation.

Like many say....make it work for you and I would not keep it to any strict schedule day after day....kinds of defeats the whole "intermittent" part.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 05-03-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:10 AM   #17
Jane Michel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
What kind of IF schedule do you keep? ... I believe you meant "hypo"thyroidism (low)...although that seems more like too low calories, as you will get the same effect eating low calories all day long. ...
Like many say....make it work for you and I would not keep it to any strict schedule day after day....kinds of defeats the whole "intermittent" part.
My IF schedule is:
Mon, Weds, Thurs - feeding 6pm-10pm
Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun - anything depending on hunger, whether I feel like I need PWO

Yeah I meant hypothyroidism oops.

I was wondering whether there were some specific tweaks that could be done because IF is so intermittent I can't really tell what is working and what isn't...?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
My IF schedule is:
Mon, Weds, Thurs - feeding 6pm-10pm
Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun - anything depending on hunger, whether I feel like I need PWO

Yeah I meant hypothyroidism oops.

I was wondering whether there were some specific tweaks that could be done because IF is so intermittent I can't really tell what is working and what isn't...?
How many meals are you really eating on the T/F/S/S "off" IF days?

Most basic tweaks are going to be:
- Size of feeding window
- Number of meals during the feeding window
- calories during a feeding window
- number of fast days
those are the important factors

Most people who are active and find good results with IF have larger eating windows (like around 8 hours...yours is only 4), probably get 3 good meals inside that 8 hour window, and are not short on calories. If you want the more alternate day type of IF...I don't think Eades original 24 on/24 off model is a good one to follow....but every 3rd day may be more realistic for IF benefits while not letting your thyroid to become compromised.

Works on those variables as you see fit....as something can always be changed up....and if you need to stop IF to start seeing results, then maybe that is what needs to be done to reset your metabolism...and then you can re-introduce IF slowly again if you want to.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #19
Tirzah Harper

Quote:
lol! Out of curiosity, what is your diet like and what are your lifts like? Do you do just the CF main page WOD? Females are rare enough let alone one the same height and about the same weight and BF.
My diet...eh, it's nothing prescribed exactly, which I'm sure would make me thinner but probably not happier. Last night it was Guinness, spiked coffee, a grilled cheese sandwich, spinach salad, and a few nuts & a donut by the end of the night...that's not really the norm though.

Generally it's fruit, often hot cereal (amaranth, quinoa, millet) with an apple and a couple of eggs cooked in there for breakfast. Daily doses of Earl Grey tea with honey and cream of some sort...getting away from non-dairy creamer (husband can't do much dairy) and trying coconut milk, almond milk, etc.
Lunch is either leftovers from dinner and/or a big ol' salad of mixed greens/broccoli slaw mix with cottage cheese, strawberries, beans, tuna, eggs (whatever's handy when I'm packing lunch, basically) and a little dressing and/or olive oil over top. An ounce or two of dark chocolate mid-afternoon.
Dinner is pretty varied, almost always vegetable-based and frequently accompanied with something from a smaller brewery, in moderation. Sometimes we'll have fish, sometimes a little chicken, rarely red meat; almost never pasta or potatoes or flour-based foods. Then often a small dessert of chocolate or berries & sweetened Greek yogurt and coconut milk or cookies.

So it's not your standard American diet by a long shot, but it's not dialed in for super-fitness either; more for general well-being, health, and pleasure. LOL.

My lifts aren't impressive at all LOL! I don't follow the main-page WOD, I go to my local affiliate and do whatever he says 3-5 times per week, which follows the CF format but not the main site WODs. Plus I try to walk on my lunch breaks (2-mile loop in 1/2 hour) and run a mile or so occasionally (yuck) because I want to get better at that; gardening and just live as actively as one can when working desk jobs and being pretty damn busy.
Anyway, we did the CFT on Friday and mine was 345. It's improved since getting 310 in my first CFT four months ago, and I'm proud of my own improvements, but it's kind of...humbling...when the guys there are PRESSING more than I can DEADLIFT! Oh well. I'm improving and that's where it matters, eh? My times are getting better. And I've only been doing this semi-steady since October.

How about you? Now I'm curious too.
Tirzah Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #20
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Tirzah is at 8%?!
8% for a female would be a very unhealthy state to be in for any prolonged amount of time.

Typically female bodybuilders for competitions are between 6-10% I think and the fitness competitors are 8-12% and the figure competitors shoot for 9%-15%.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote