Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rogers View Post
Dan John's book "From the Ground Up" at http://danjohn.org/book.html covers the use of Olympic lifts for sports strength training. If you haven't read it, I think you'd find it worth your time. Particularly note page 35 on recovery, page 57 on in season training, and page 66 on year round training. While the book is gear towards lifting and trhrowing, it should be applicable to the lumberjack events.
thanks Steve;

Dan is the shiznit. I'm definitely going to check that out. Believe it or not, throwing is very similar to the type of training I have to do for a few events. But it's much more repetitive.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Get your sleep.

Reduce the number of long sets (ie. GS KB work) unless it is directly related to your SPP.

Work more on technique stuff.

Don't overdo it this close to your events. The benefits from taking care of your CNS and adrenals will far outweigh any reductions in training volume at this point.
Thanks Garrett,
I've done that and I'm feeling much better. I'm not certain if I'm going to weight train or event train tonight. But we'll see when I get home. Had an event field training weekend, so I'll likely weight train if all goes well.

I've got an event this saturday, so I'm going to take it easy later in the week.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
Arden Cogar Jr.

Mark,
Here's an example of one of my training sessions. I'm doing the six events that are part of the event filmed by ESPN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21zfEJZHm1M

I think hand speed may not have been the right way to describe it. It's a body coordination/speed/timing issue very similar to throwing, but different, and it involves really sharp objects.

I think everyone's advice is spot on and I've backed off and I feel better now. I feel invigorated to get back in and tear into it.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fenner View Post
As others have said, you likely need to reduce your non-specific work to maintenance levels (for both Oly and ME lifts) and focus (70-80% of your volume/time) on events. This will allow for the "long term delayed effect" of training ... i.e., your fatigue will dissipate and your performance will rise.

One other point, you stated that hand speed is quite important for lumberjack games. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it now (for the close competition), but in future training remember that speed is a separate physiological, trainable (and detrainable) characteristic. ME will train muscular ability (pure strength), Oly/Dynamic/Plyos will train power (various strength-speed, speed-strength levels), but you may want to program specific exercises for development/maintenance of "pure" speed.

I'm no expert on lumberjack games (in fact, I'm basically ignorant of them), but the picture of log rolling brings to mind "pure" foot speed. Things like side-to-side hops (very light, very quick: 30+ doubles in 15s) with one or two legs, single stair (or 2x4) step-up/step-downs (again, quick) might help you work speed in a "general" way. Of course, you must still transfer this speed with event training. But, you don't need a ton of work to maintain: a few sets as part of your warm-up will help maintain "pure speed" while you are focusing on power and strength. As Dan John was discussing on T-Nation, these are also a nice warm up because they prime the CNS (Dan was using short sprints).

(I place "pure speed" in quotes because you are still working against some part of your body weight -- thus, we're pushing back towards strength. True pure speed might be foot tapping while seated.)

For hand speed, shadow boxing can work nicely. Hitting a (heavy) target moves more towards strength because you have to stiffen to transfer force from your body to the target. Various games with tennis balls (partner drops a ball, you catch it; partner throws ball against wall from behind you, you have to react and catch it) can also do this. Juggling might work as well.

Regards,
Mark
Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
Dave Van Skike

After the Apocalypse, I should very much like to be on Arden's side.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Arden that standing one looks a bit shady. People ever chop into their feet before?
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #16
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Arden that standing one looks a bit shady. People ever chop into their feet before?

Oh......I'd be lying if I said I haven't seen some injuries as you're describing. Believe it or not, the one where the block is vertical has much greater potential for a serious injury.

How should I say this? With the horizontal log, you only have to worry about your toes.

Most folk wear chainmail leggings when they train or compete. My wife and daughters do. I don't as of yet. I've been very ****knocks on wood**** fortunate.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
Garrett Smith

Lordy....beastly stuff.

I'm with you, Dave.

I'd definitely get some steel toe boots myself.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #18
Allen Yeh

How weird is it that this is the 2nd conversation in which Arden is involved in a conversation involving the apocalypse? Like the first time it still reminds me of Army of Darkness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeu6r625KaE
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 AM   #19
Derek Simonds

I guess I am going to have to watch Army of Darkness after seeing that video.

Whenever Dave brings up the apocalypse I always think of the Zombie War books that came out in the last couple of years.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #20
Derek Simonds

Arden,

The stock saw cuts looked incredible also. They were fast, thin and perfectly straight. The hot saw was smoking! That was definitely a winning run in competition.

Once again you have leaned up a ton in the last few months.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote