Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 05-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Will Moore

Default Peanuts unfairly dismissed from Paleo diets

I've read just about every book regarding Paleolithic diets ever published and visited hundreds of blogs and discussion boards on the topic. Almost all of them regard the humble Peanut as unfit for the Paleo diet because its technically a legume.....I think this is nonsense. Who cares if its classified as a legume? Nutritionally speaking, it has more in common with tree nuts than other legumes. For strarters, it stores its energy as fat, not starch like other legumes. The largest percentage of peanut fats is monounsaturated and the numbers are comparable to almonds. Also, peanuts can in fact be eaten raw, just like a tree nut. You cannot eat other legumes raw, they must be boiled for hours just to be edible. Peanuts have the same favorable effects on human nutrition that are associated with tree nuts. Some people dismiss peanuts because they fear toxic molds....this is caused by a storage problem by the processors, its not a problem with the peanut itself. Any food stored in improper, damp conditons has the potenial to produce toxic molds. I eat peanuts all the time and I find them to be a great addition to a Paleo type diet. I'm so sick of reading about Paleo dieters who bend the rules to allow their beloved milk and cheese, but are totally against peanuts. If anything, the peanuts are MORE Paleo than the damn dairy products.
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #2
Derek Weaver

I may be wrong here, but the whole Paleo vs. Peanuts/legumes thing is usually about how people feel when they eat certain foods.

Raw milk and certain cheeses are usually only eaten by people who have cleared themselves of any inflammation and other intolerance issues.

If peanuts work for you, go for it. Too often we get wrapped up in "It's not Paleo, therefore it must be evil." If you don't have any issues, then eat away.

I personally feel like crap when I eat peanuts, I'm lactose intolerant and I'm 24 years old and still get acne when I eat sugar, so strict Paleo is right up my alley.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

I like to snack on peanuts and raisins as this gives me a double dose of resveratrol along with all the protein, fibre and monounsaturated fats they supply.

Quote:
Total Resveratrol Content of Wines and Grape Juice (3, 87, 88)
Beverage - Total resveratrol (mg/liter) - Total resveratrol in a 5-oz glass (mg)

White wines (Spanish) - 0.05-1.80 - 0.01-0.27
Rosť wines (Spanish) - 0.43-3.52 - 0.06-0.53
Red wines (Spanish) - 1.92-12.59 - 0.29-1.89
Red wines (global) - 1.98-7.13 - 0.30-1.07
Red grape juice (Spanish) - 1.14-8.69 - 0.17-1.30

Total Resveratrol Content of Selected Foods
Food - Serving - Total resveratrol (mg)

Peanuts (raw) - 1 cup - (146 g) - 0.01-0.26
Peanuts (boiled) - 1 cup (180 g) - 0.32-1.28
Peanut butter - 1 cup (258 g) - 0.04-0.13
Red grapes - 1 cup (160 g) - 0.24-1.25
Link (w/f/s)

It's worth noting that the resveratrol content of boiled peanuts is significantly higher than for raw because in countries where peanuts are a staple food they are rarely eaten raw.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Steve Forman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Moore View Post
I've read just about every book regarding Paleolithic diets ever published and visited hundreds of blogs and discussion boards on the topic. Almost all of them regard the humble Peanut as unfit for the Paleo diet because its technically a legume.....I think this is nonsense. Who cares if its classified as a legume? Nutritionally speaking, it has more in common with tree nuts than other legumes. For strarters, it stores its energy as fat, not starch like other legumes. The largest percentage of peanut fats is monounsaturated and the numbers are comparable to almonds. Also, peanuts can in fact be eaten raw, just like a tree nut. You cannot eat other legumes raw, they must be boiled for hours just to be edible. Peanuts have the same favorable effects on human nutrition that are associated with tree nuts. Some people dismiss peanuts because they fear toxic molds....this is caused by a storage problem by the processors, its not a problem with the peanut itself. Any food stored in improper, damp conditons has the potenial to produce toxic molds. I eat peanuts all the time and I find them to be a great addition to a Paleo type diet. I'm so sick of reading about Paleo dieters who bend the rules to allow their beloved milk and cheese, but are totally against peanuts. If anything, the peanuts are MORE Paleo than the damn dairy products.

Well I was wondering myself. but I was only bummed that I was off the list. I think it may be on now. I love it, have no inflammation problems with it! It has been a great healthy snack for me at work.

ok its back on!
Steve Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I may be wrong here, but the whole Paleo vs. Peanuts/legumes thing is usually about how people feel when they eat certain foods.

Raw milk and certain cheeses are usually only eaten by people who have cleared themselves of any inflammation and other intolerance issues.

If peanuts work for you, go for it. Too often we get wrapped up in "It's not Paleo, therefore it must be evil." If you don't have any issues, then eat away.

I personally feel like crap when I eat peanuts, I'm lactose intolerant and I'm 24 years old and still get acne when I eat sugar, so strict Paleo is right up my alley.

Derek. Well Said.