Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
R. Alan Hester

Default Paleo Hiking

I will be going on an extended hike this weekend. Hope to cover 40 miles in 2 days. Any one have experience staying paleo on these types of hikes? How low-carb can one stay? I am thinking of taking beef jerky and almonds to save weight, while keeping protein and fat high. The only concern is the periods of intense climbs, where my heart-rate will be elevated, thereby requiring more carbs to replenish glycogen. Should I take honey?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Will Moore

I have been a backpacker for a long time and I've done it with Paleo style diets and high carb diets as well. I have a military style backpack that I fill with 60 - 75 lbs. and go very fast for 5 - 6 miles on a daily basis. I once did 12 - 15 mile walks when I had more time.

Anyway, I have found little difference in performance between high carb and low carb/Paleo. In hot weather, low carb/Paleo tends to make me much more thirsty. I understand you will be climbing some steep hills, but unless you are literally running up the hills, extra glycogen is not an issue. High fat snacks like nuts and seeds, eaten the night before and during the event, will keep your fuel steady. I have found that I can actually go further eating Paleo style without "hitting the wall". When I eat high carb/low fat, there will come a point where I crash and burn.....this never happens eating high fat Paleo.

That said, the only real disadvantage I have found with high fat Paleo is that it doesn't seem to work well in high temperatures. I tend to need much more water and tire more easily as a result. This is probably due to the low water content in many of the foods I was eating and I have never been one to drink much water. I don't think you will have a problem if you drink plenty of water.
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Alan Hester View Post
I will be going on an extended hike this weekend. Hope to cover 40 miles in 2 days. Any one have experience staying paleo on these types of hikes? How low-carb can one stay? I am thinking of taking beef jerky and almonds to save weight, while keeping protein and fat high. The only concern is the periods of intense climbs, where my heart-rate will be elevated, thereby requiring more carbs to replenish glycogen. Should I take honey?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
If you're serious about "staying paleo" on this hike you need to start thinking like a hunter-gatherer. Would they choose the low carb option and rely solely on jerky, nuts and seeds or would they make use of all the fruit and berries they could gather along the way? If they didn't want to waste time gathering food as they went how could they prepare fruit and berries before they left so they would be light and easy to eat on the move?
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Greg Davis

I have quite a bit of experience playing with things on long camping trips.. and this winter I did some mountaineering...

nuts/seeds/fruit of course are probably appropriate for this type of long but moderate intense activity... pemmican is great if you can find a good source (or make your own)... theres no need to feel like paleo wont cut it. what could be more paleo than long distance hiking with spurts of high intensity climbing?

just keep in mind that theres nothing wrong with going in to negative energy balance for a day or so.. youll get your chance to fuel up on real food. no need to down a granola bar every hour if youve invested in "upgrading" your metabolism to the paleo way.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Too much protein will dehydrate you....and that is probably the biggest danger. Carrying water is a ton of weight too. Of course fruit would also have water in it, so having some of that would be good.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
R. Alan Hester

Thanks for the replies.

I completely lunched and forgot about fruit or dried fruit. I think i will go with those. Thanks again.

Greg: I will be looking to stay in a negative energy balance. I have some winter weight I still need to shed
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

My new travel day lunch:
20 Beverly liver tabs (52g protein)
20 Brazil nuts
20 organic raisins

I like the round numbers, okay? I'm also trying to get rid of these long-overdue raisins without eating too much sugar and having the post-lunch nappy-time. It works well so far. I thought it might help with some hiking food ideas.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Derek Weaver

That looks like a good suggestion for hiking food Dr. G. Do the liver tabs have a taste or aroma? Never used 'em, but I am intrigued.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote