Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Donald Lee

Default Running Programming for Marine Corps

I'm currently a Marine Corps Officer Candidate, and I developed a borderline stress fracture in my shin about 6 weeks ago from forcing the issue on my running.

Last summer, I went to OCS with a 3-mile time of 22:55 and left with a time of 21:55. My training last year consisted of bodyweight circuits, 4-5 mile beach, hill, and trail runs 2-3 days a week, and one day of intervals a week.

After OCS, I did strength training and no running for 6 months, and then I started CrossFiting in January. The trainer at my CrossFit affiliate suggested I jog about 3-5 miles at a conversational pace 2-3 days a week in the afternoons. Perhaps I didn't follow it enough, but I soon discovered that run time was really bad. One day I found that after a few months of CrossFiting, I ran a 26 min 3-mile time.

This is when I began to force the issue. I CrossFited about 4 days a week, and I would run in the afternoons M-W-F. I switched off between between workout A- running 200 meter intervals and workout B - running 4-6 mile hill/beach runs. My body was having a tough time recovering, so I slept about 9-10 hours a day, including a daily nap after CrossFiting in the morning. And, I would take contrast showers.

I was feeling the effects of overtraining, and shin problem that had been bothering me returned and I tried to run through the pain because I had no choice, as I was set to return to the second half of OCS in July.

Now, I just did a month or so of SS because I couldn't do anything high impact. In June, I'm going to return to CrossFiting, and I'm going to start taking up martial arts 2-3 nights a week.

I know this is a long post, but I am clueless as to how I should program my running. As a Marine, I have to be capable of easily running 5-7 miles. However, I'm not concerned with elite times. My 3-mile time was hovering in the mid-23 min range before I got injured. It probably would have been mid-22 min had I rested more before the time trial.

I'm sure if I only dedicated my time to running, whether I did LSD or intervals, my time would improve. But, I have a small frame so I can't sacrifice strength, and I have a delicate balance because I'm CrossFiting and am going to add on martial arts training on top of that. I am also going to take up mountain climbing. Would that be able to replace a LSD day, like on a Saturday?

I know there are resources like crossfitendurance, but I have had recovery issues with adding on running to my crossfiting, so I would appreciate any input on the most efficient way to improve my 3-6 mile running ability. I would be happy if I were able to run a 3-mile time in the 20-21 min range.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote