Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Fenthis Glusos

Default Like pecan pie? - try this healthier alternative

Regular pecan pie is made with all sorts of artificial sweeteners and corn syrups...a way to bypass all of that is:

Dried dates & pecans/walnuts -- Just bite a piece of a date and throw some pecans/walnuts in your mouth.

Tastes exactly the same, I swear by it! I just happened upon this fusion a couple of minutes ago and couldn't believe that I got the same exact taste as one would get eating a pecan pie - minus the crust.

Try it out.
Fenthis Glusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
Cal Jones

I always liked eating dates and pecans - yeah, it's a good alternative. Although dates do have a high natural sugar content so don't go crazy (and too many can also be rather...laxative... )
Cal Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Steve Liberati

...or you can just buy the pecan pie Lara bar for $1.29 for convenience
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Ari Kestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
...or you can just buy the pecan pie Lara bar for $1.29 for convenience
Best flavor ever.
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenthis Glusos View Post
Regular pecan pie is made with all sorts of artificial sweeteners and corn syrups...a way to bypass all of that is:

Dried dates & pecans/walnuts -- Just bite a piece of a date and throw some pecans/walnuts in your mouth.

Tastes exactly the same, I swear by it! I just happened upon this fusion a couple of minutes ago and couldn't believe that I got the same exact taste as one would get eating a pecan pie - minus the crust.

Try it out.
Fenthis, please, consider spending some time learning to cook/bake and enjoying the experience. A good piece of Pecan Pie is to die for and won't kill ya. Here is just one quick "healthy" recipe for Pecan Pie and I assure you, it won't taste the same as tossing some nuts into your mouth!!!

Healthy Pecan Pie Recipe
By Dr. Ben Kim on November 21, 2007

* Healthy Desserts

If pecan pie is on your mind, you and your guests will love this raw and healthy version.

While this recipe calls for only healthy ingredients, it produces a super-rich and sweet pecan pie that is best served in small portions. Rather than serve this pie in traditional triangular portions, I recommend that you use a good knife to divide the pie into 2-inch squares. One or two squares are enough to satisfy the fiercest of dessert addicts among your family and guests.

Ingredients:

2 cups almonds (raw, if available), soaked for one hour, drained, dried
3 dozen pitted dates, soaked for one hour, drained (save water)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups raw pecans, soaked for one hour, drained, dried
Extra-virgin olive oil

Directions:

Put almonds and 10 dates in a food processor and blend until they come together into a crust-like consistency. Add a small amount of water (saved from soaking the dates) if necessary to aid in bringing almonds and dates together.

Grease a pie plate or 9-inch square baking pan with a light coat of extra-virgin olive oil - this will help prevent the pie from sticking to the plate.

Use a spatula or the underside of a spoon to press the almond-date crust into the bottom of the plate or pan. Be sure to spread it up the sides of the plate or pan to form a full pie crust. Put the finished crust in the freezer until you are ready to fill it.

Combine the remaining dates, fresh lemon or lime juice, cinnamon, sea salt, and vanilla in a food processor and blend until the mixture takes on a smooth, homogenized consistency. Use a small amount of water (left over from soaking dates) if necessary.

Spread the date filling evenly over the almond-date crust.

Arrange raw pecans on top of date filling and press down lightly to help keep the pecans in place.

Enjoy this raw and healthy pecan pie!
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Re: Jay
Where did that recipe come from? A book? Website?
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Re: Jay
Where did that recipe come from? A book? Website?

A very quick Google search for "Healthy Pecan Pie" recipe.

Looks pretty good......
Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Ari Kestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
A very quick Google search for "Healthy Pecan Pie" recipe.

Looks pretty good......
Just made it. Delicious. Dangerous though, easy to eat the entire thing in one sitting it's that good. It tastes like a pecan larabar but more dessertish...i think because of the vanilla and cinnamon
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
Just made it. Delicious. Dangerous though, easy to eat the entire thing in one sitting it's that good. It tastes like a pecan larabar but more dessertish...i think because of the vanilla and cinnamon
Nice to know, good job Ari.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Made the pie myself today.

I instantly declared today a cheat day; all bets are off.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote